Time might be right for La.Tech's C-USA offer

Harry

If Louisiana Tech officials are ever going to receive their coveted Conference USA invite, now would seem to be the time.

The league continues to be battered and bruised from defections in much the same way the WAC has been over the past couple of years. Gone from the WAC are shining stars Boise and Fresno States, Hawaii and Nevada.

Tech is now the WAC's shining star, so maybe it was appropriate that the Bulldogs won the 2011 football title as the latter three were exiting the premises.

The latest C-USA loss is Memphis, a six-hour or so ride from Ruston and one of those schools that Tech fans would have preferred to see remain — good barbecue, tasteful music, Beale Street and all that. C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky should have been on the phone with Tech athletic director Bruce Van De Velde this morning securing the Bulldogs as Tigers replacements. Losing Houston, SMU and UCF apparently wasn't a big enough warning sign

Read more: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120209/SPORTS0407/202090358/Jimmy-Watson-Time-might-right-La-Tech-s-C-USA-offer

"The Tech football team could end up being a Top 25 program this fall, so maybe the Bulldogs skip C-USA and go directly to the Big 12 or the ever-expanding Big East. You laugh, but stranger things have happened."

Yes,in deed, stranger things have happened, but that would be right at the top of the stranger things have happened list in my 45 plus years of following NCAA sports.

Rarely mentioned by the Louisiana media are the Bulldogs still anemic athletic budget which would be toward the bottom of even the Sun Belt Conference. I guess they think that will be over-looked? I don't think so as I believe a school's athletic budget to be one of the Alliance's main criteria of their having any interest toward an expansion school. Just sayin'...

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen