CUSA/MWC Merger Discussion Meeting Sunday

MeanGreen61

Presidents of universities in the Mountain West Conference and Conference USA will meet in Dallas on Sunday to discuss a possible merger, the Review-Journal learned today.

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/mountain-west-conference-usa-to-discuss-merger-139035019.html

Edited by MeanGreen61

This whole alliance concept is really starting to sour in my mind.

Why follow the path of the Big East and spread yourself out over two coasts? Especially when the TV increase is minimal.

Wouldn't the strategic thing be to do the opposite and build a regional alliance? Better travel and rivalries.

I question if this alliance concept moves forward at this point. If it does, not sure that I would want to be in it. To me CUSA is clearly the better league and has the better TV contract. What benefit do they get from the West?

This whole alliance concept is really starting to sour in my mind.

Why follow the path of the Big East and spread yourself out over two coasts? Especially when the TV increase is minimal.

Wouldn't the strategic thing be to do the opposite and build a regional alliance? Better travel and rivalries.

I question if this alliance concept moves forward at this point. If it does, not sure that I would want to be in it. To me CUSA is clearly the better league and has the better TV contract. What benefit do they get from the West?

I think even if the alliance get formed and stretches from coast to coast, if you receive an invite, you take it in a heartbeat. The TV money and the step up in conference affiliation would make up for the travel, which actually would still probably be ok if you figure we get games in Houston, NO, El Paso, Tulsa, and Albuquerque. That would make up for losing trips to Monroe, Lafayette, and Jonesboro, in my opinion.

I don't know that UNT fans would show up for a game against Marshall, Tulane, Wyoming, or Hawaii, but I think that being affiliated with teams with more recongizable names will help us more than staying in the SBC, ESPECIALLY if the SBC gets raided in any way. The idea of watching La Tech and MUTS or F_U move upward while we stay here would be beyond depressing, especially if the SBC replacement is another non-Texas FCS move-up (i.e., Georgia Southern). One thing we do know for sure is that North Texas won't get much help playing current SBC schools in Denton, attendance-wise. That much has been proven for over a decade now. Rivalries don't form when you play teams hundreds of miles away and you rarely interact with the other school's alums in day-to-day life. At least in the alliance, that would still be possible to build.