Potential Big East bid intriguing option for Memphis Tigers

Harry

It happened again, Memphis fans: Someone mentioned "Big East" and "Memphis" in the same sentence. The wheels of speculation concerning the Tigers' conference future are once again grinding. (Did they ever stop?)

It came last Wednesday afternoon from a credible enough source: a reporter at the Providence Journal, a guy who covers a Big East school and doesn't seem like a peddler of unsubstantiated rumors. And it wasn't met with a steadfast denial, either. When our Jason Smith contacted U of M athletic director R.C. Johnson shortly before Wednesday night's basketball game at Southern Miss, he said "nothing's changed on our end" -- then quickly asked what the crowd was looking like in Hattiesburg.

Asked again on Friday afternoon, he said "nothing has changed at all."

But he wouldn't answer any further questions.

So if it's still the status quo, it's instructive to share what Johnson said in late December: "I think there's still activity going on on all fronts, I really do." And what he said in October, after the football alliance between Conference USA and Mountain West offered him a chance to pledge undying loyalty, and he was asked if this ended the Tigers' pursuits of another league: "Absolutely not."

So who knows, really, what the future holds. Memphis people aren't saying much. As it stands today, the Tigers have a fairly clear-cut path: Conference USA's football programs will align with the Mountain West by 2013, with the potential that the leagues could announce a merger in all sports in the coming months.

But the Tigers would surely jump at an invitation to the Big East, even if that league's stature has been diminished somewhat -- right?

Let's explore those two routes:

If it's the alliance: The alliance between the two leagues joins 17 schools: nine current members of Conference USA, five current members of the Mountain West and three current members of the Western Athletic Conference that were previously set to join the MWC. One of those 17, Hawaii, would be a football-only member.

It's a mash-up of some respectable programs but none with star power in major sports, except for perhaps Memphis and UNLV basketball.

Click here to read more: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/feb/05/potential-big-east-bid-intriguing-option/

its my understanding that the Big East is looking for a another "football only" program, not an "all sports" member. if so, i don't see Memphis as a player. if AFA changes mind now that Navy has committed they are in. however, if they stay committed to MWC/CUSA then Temple is target, but over 'Nova's dead body. ECU is always available.

But Memphis is a good way to keep the basketball schools happy. Losing Pitt and Syracuse is a big blow to BE basketball.

• Upvote 1

Memphis to the Big East would likely mean no expansion candidates for the CUSA/MWC Alliance.

I disagree. If anything it would mean more teams would be added. With the Big 12 eying Louisville and possibly more to get to 12 combined with Air Force possibly following Navy to BE there is a need for both MWC and CUSA to expand further to provide a buffer against future poaching. The bigger issue at hand is whether or not this Alliance truly makes sense now. It may have been well suited as a plan to convince SMU, Houston, Boise, UCF etc to stay or perhaps to try for an auto BCS bowl bid but now that they are gone and the NCAA may do away with BCS it really doesn't make much sense at all. The Mountain West has become the WAC... why on earth would CUSA want to attach themselves to that league in its present form on the other side of the country if the BCS auto qualification is going away? The television dollars can't possibly offset the increases in travel. And what will the end of BCS auto bid mean to the lure of the Big East? Could we see some buyers remorse from our friends on the Hilltop?

The only thing I see the Alliance bringing to the table is a larger number of teams which would provide stability against expansion. The problem is CUSA could do that on their own, within a reasonable geographic region versus the other side of the world. In my opinion, CUSA has a much stronger hand than does the Mountain West in this Alliance deal. CUSA also has more to lose from attaching itself to the Alliance configuration.

The Sun Belt appears to be coming out of this smelling like a rose. The WAC will most likely die and CUSA/MWC switch from two seats at the NCAA table to 1. The Sun Belt has leap frogged over two conferences without having to do much. Even if CUSA/MWC or the Alliance take a couple of SBC programs the SBC will still survive. Hey the Sun Belt is getting better, hiring the likes of Malzahn @ASU, Cristobal turning down more money at Rutgers to stay at FIU. Two new state of the art football stadiums built in just the last year! North Texas has a 26 million dollar budget right now which is right in the thick of CUSA. When you consider the MWC and CUSA defections, the Sun Belt can bow up against a lot of the leftovers.

If CUSA is smart they'll scrap the Alliance and expand on their own focusing on markets and geography. That way if the Big East comes calling again, they will have enough teams to withstand. With the auto bids gone who knows, maybe some of the Big East teams get cold feet and come back with hat in hand.

Memphis to the Big East would likely mean no expansion candidates for the CUSA/MWC Alliance.

Why would you say that? It has been said that a major factor is the TV contract and the loss of a medium/major market would only call for a reduction in the contract plus you have the loss of a major basketball attraction. While there are no star power replacements there are some large markets that could be made available.

OOPS! didn't see that coming. congrats to Memphis if its true.

Like I said, I think we are underestimating the loss of Syracuse. They were top ranked for a long time and are #3 now, in the whole country. Pitt is usually a top 25 team as well. Its a big deal.

I could also see the BE getting ready to lose Louisville to the Big XII, or as an effort to keep UL happy by adding a strong regional partner. Time will tell if this is true.

If they lose Louisville and Cincinnati expect all hell to break loose.