Dylan McDorman signs with North Texas

Harry

McDorman's reality was even better than his dream. He had always hoped to be able to play college football, but wasn't picky about the level. But the talent level of the Red River 22 Defensive Player of the Year earned McDorman a Division I scholarship and a chance to play in UNT's new stadium in Denton.

"It means a lot to me," McDorman said. "A chance to play football, that was my dream. It takes pressure off my family. They don't have to pay for my education."

He wouldn't go so far as to admit to "liking school," but said "it's going to be a lot easier to be able to get a good education and the fact that I get it for free makes it a lot better."

The Raiders had their signing day celebration in the locker room, bringing back some memories for McDorman.

"Two-a-days, everybody was coming in here and hanging out. It's kind of sad (to be leaving), but I'll get a chance to go make new memories and new friends," McDorman said. "But I won't forget this."

Picture of Dylan Signing his LOI with North Texas

Dylan McDorman article

And I still don't understand why he isn't providing depth in the DT rotation in the fall while two 250 pounders might suit up.

Boutwell was the best dt on the team last year at 260, Victor Gill was one of our best OL for years while many said he was too small to play the position. You don't have to be 300 lbs to be a very good college lineman on ether side of the ball. Quickness, strength, and tenacity are all bigger factors than size. Those that continued to bemoan starting Gill for example seem to ignore the fact that he beat out a number of much bigger player for the position. Lincoln and Boutwell are not big for dt's but they are likely to be better than any freshmen NT has. Abbe and Cantly are giants and good players, but are they better than Boutwell?

I would say that any freshman has a large challenge in front of them when it comes to returning the D-line. Boutwell played nearly every defensive down and Abbe and Cantly were no slouches. McCoy and Obi return at the ends. There is also Bellzine and Alexander. Not so much concern as there was last year going into spring.

Edited by Voice of Reason