Watson jumps at chance to join UNT Mean Green

Harry

Watson, who also was being recruited by the University of Akron, was ready to make the commitment to the “Mean Green,” but he didn’t get an offer from the coaching staff before heading back home and was preparing himself to move 1,400 miles away to continue his football career.

“I was a little disappointed,” Watson said. “And worried.”

His phone rang during the return trip.

McCarney was on the other end.

“He told me that after I left he had watched some more game film on me, against Abilene High, and that he wanted to offer me a scholarship,” Watson said. “I said yes pretty fast.”

Watson made it official Wednesday when he signed a national letter of intent to play at North Texas next season.

“They are going to move me to defensive tackle and want me to come in at about 280 pounds,” the 6-foot-3, 250-pound senior added. “So it’s time to hit the weights and do a lot of squats to get my legs in shape for playing in the middle of the line.”

Click here to read more: http://varsity.oaoa.com/articles/midland-9974-oavarsity-watson-high.html

I was hoping we signed the IBM supercomputer.... But I'll settle for a kid this size that is happy to be a part of the mean green legacy. Welcome home buddy.

• Upvote 1

At the signing day event on Wednesday night Coach Mac mentioned this young man and his family. He said that in addition to getting his name on a letter of intent his dad sent a check for $37,000 for six Club Level seats. Now THAT is being excited.

Wait--was it Dutton Watson's father or Dustin Clark's father who bought the 6 club-level seats?

At the signing day event on Wednesday night Coach Mac mentioned this young man and his family. He said that in addition to getting his name on a letter of intent his dad sent a check for $37,000 for six Club Level seats. Now THAT is being excited.

Wait.. You mean a family member of an NCAA athlete paid an institution to see his son play? Instead of said institution paying his family for him to play? Where am I? Welcome aboard young man.

Edited by filmerj