UNT lands Houston area DB Jamal Marshall

Brett Vito

Kid has some serious physical tools and the key will be his desire to learn and how well he is coached. 6-3 corners with track speed don't grow on trees...looks like his best days are ahead of him. Welcome to the Mean Green Family Jamal!

Please Mac, pretty please, don't move him to safety. A 6'3" corner, especially in the college game, is POTENTIAL (there's that word again) game-changer. There's not a place on the field where you could pick on him...not even on the fade route in the redzone. This is POTENTIALLY my favorite pickup.

Never heard the Ft. Bend County area referred to as East Texas. Didn't make All-District but headed to professional football? Hope his coach knows what he's talking about, because that would certainly be a major under the radar steal. Certainly a position of need. Welcome aboard!

[/quote

Vito considers everything EAST of 35 to be East Texas. :blink:

• Upvote 2

Never heard the Ft. Bend County area referred to as East Texas. Didn't make All-District but headed to professional football? Hope his coach knows what he's talking about, because that would certainly be a major under the radar steal. Certainly a position of need. Welcome aboard!

I'm from El Paso.

When you're that far out west, anything on the other side of Midland is "East Texas."

Also, I have learned since moving out here that most of you think anything on the other side of Midland is a part of Mexico.

• Upvote 2

I'm from El Paso.

When you're that far out west, anything on the other side of Midland is "East Texas."

Also, I have learned since moving out here that most of you think anything on the other side of Midland is a part of Mexico.

I'm from a town that's 5 minutes above Brownsville... it's sad that everybody in DFW believes anything below Austin 'South Texas'

Edited by golfingomez

6'3" and 185 at 18 years old could translate to 6'3" 225lbs at 20 years old and a linebacker with great speed. That's how Miami built their team. A HS coach wouldn't make those quotes if he didn't believe it. Lying to college coaches will close recruiting doors and opportunities for his players in the future real quick.

As many have mentioned, the Fort Bend School District, which butts up to Katy ISD, is full of talent. Love the measurables of this young man. Remember, Bob Hayes had never played football until the Cowboys drafted him.

I agree. And, Willie Gault. And, to some degree, Cliff Branch. And, to another degree, Renaldo Nehemiah, who helped make Jerry Rice what Jerry Rice is today.

0426large_display_image.jpg?1269583646

Yes. We are naming receivers who were track stars. I'm just saying, this kid is raw, and I'm really hoping he can bring the track and field squad some honor as well as the football team.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Please Mac, pretty please, don't move him to safety. A 6'3" corner, especially in the college game, is POTENTIAL (there's that word again) game-changer. There's not a place on the field where you could pick on him...not even on the fade route in the redzone. This is POTENTIALLY my favorite pickup.

I've always wondered why prototypical size for a CB is 5'9"-5'10", when prototypical size for the WRs they're supposed to match up against is 6'2"-6'4".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've always wondered why prototypical size for a CB is 5'9"-5'10", when prototypical size for the WRs they're supposed to match up against is 6'2"-6'4".

I read an article the other day that stated that the average "listed" height of an NFL receiver is right at 6'1", while the average cornerback is "listed" at a tad under 5'11". Guess that's not a huge difference , except when you have someone like 6'5" Plaxico Burress going up against a 5'9' corner. Regardless, a talented 6'3" corner is a great weapon to have when your facing one of the bigguns.

• Upvote 1

Because as a CB you're running in a backpedal, and it's more important for you to have quick hips and quick backwards sprint and turn ability. These are simply harder to achieve with longer leg length (though not impossible). For a lot of taller guys, in order to accomplish this sort of running, they have to bend too much to keep the backpadal compact, which will slow it down.

Also, if you're tall and fast and have decent hands, your coach is putting you at wide receiver. If you're short and fast, you're put at defensive back. And I'm talking peewee, Jr High level... early on. So partly, it's just development. If two athletes are exactly the same, but one is 6'3" and one is 5'10", they're putting the 6'3" guy at WR, and the 5'10" guy at DB.

But it's a combination of these things. The backpedal has to be compact, and you have to be developed there.

• Upvote 1