Serial Pit Bull killer in Houston on the loose.

I consider an "assault weapon" any weapon that was originally designed for military use. AK 47's, AR-15's (civilian version of M-16's)...the list goes on and on. They were originally designed for full automatic mode as well as semi-automatic mode. And just because they are "semi-auto" in the gun shop, doesn't mean that they cannot be made full auto again. You can argue all you want about owning one of these weapons for protecting your family etc etc, but for personal protection, you can't beat the old stand by.....a shotgun. It protects you and your family and stray shotgun pellets (unlike stray hi velocity bullets) don't kill people in their homes several blocks away...or even across the street for that matter.

People always lose sight of the original ppurpose of the right to bear arms, which was protection from an oppresive government. Thank God in our almost 236 year history, we have not had an oppressive government (I know, civil war buffs, I know), but that doesn't mean that the day will never come.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Bingo, always make sure a weapon is unloaded. Also, proper care and cleaning can deter misfires. Much like proper care and maintenance of a car can deter malfunctions and prevent accidents.

As for "assault weapons" What exactly do you consider an "assault weapon"? A legitimate assault rifle (AR) are only sold to the public in semi automatic configuration, meaning, one round fired per pull of thr trigger. They can actually be fun to shoot.

--To you they are mostly just a toy... I am guessing you live in a city. There is a totally different attitude by people who are somewhat rural. I know of several of those type guns used in murders... I know of none that were actually used to defend a person's home. The guy that killed the three cops I mentioned was 50+, and not a gang type guy and not a criminal type... just a gun nut and if I remember right not sober. Hunting wise if I can't hit something with a couple of shots, let it go. Learn how to shoot. How many real shoot-outs involve a homeowner defending his home needing to shoot a zillion shots. ... As one said... it is not that difficult to make them fully automatic.. kits exist if you know the right people.

People always lose sight of the original ppurpose of the right to bear arms, which was protection from an oppresive government. Thank God in our almost 236 year history, we have not had an oppressive government (I know, civil war buffs, I know), but that doesn't mean that the day will never come.

--- True but not entirely.... In 1788 it was a completely different world... a frontier with Indians and wild animals that were very dangerous and people needed those guns on an everyday basis.. they were also used to provide food ... no supermarkets.. Granted there was a need to use against criminals even then too... not much law enforcement on the frontier but need some in towns as well. Today I see a big difference in city and some what rural people think and about guns ... outside of towns there is is often a NEED for for one [not an assault gun] ... snakes, wild hogs, rabid skunks, even a mountian lion chewed on a Odessa kid lately in the Big Bend. The father got lucky... saved the kid with a knife as he stabbed the lion.. and the lion retreated. Guns should not be considered toys.

--I am sure glad a neighbor of mine didn't own an assault weapon.... one night he was drunk in the front yard shooting at the moon with a small pistol. Thank goodness he moved. My neighborhood is far from a redneck one..... two D.A.'s live within a block of me.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I consider an "assault weapon" any weapon that was originally designed for military use. AK 47's, AR-15's (civilian version of M-16's)...the list goes on and on. They were originally designed for full automatic mode as well as semi-automatic mode. And just because they are "semi-auto" in the gun shop, doesn't mean that they cannot be made full auto again. You can argue all you want about owning one of these weapons for protecting your family etc etc, but for personal protection, you can't beat the old stand by.....a shotgun. It protects you and your family and stray shotgun pellets (unlike stray hi velocity bullets) don't kill people in their homes several blocks away...or even across the street for that matter.

Actually, they are intended for 3 round bursts. When you go "full auto" you waste ammunition. As for the best home defense weapon, that is a matter of personal opinion. You're right about shotguns as far as the pellets. However they can be bulky to maneuver tactically around corners. A good 9mm or .40 with some hollow points can be just as effective.

--To you they are mostly just a toy... I am guessing you live in a city. There is a totally different attitude by people who are somewhat rural. I know of several of those type guns used in murders... I know of none that were actually used to defend a person's home. The guy that killed the three cops I mentioned was 50+, and not a gang type guy and not a criminal type... just a gun nut and if I remember right not sober. Hunting wise if I can't hit something with a couple of shots, let it go. Learn how to shoot. How many real shoot-outs involve a homeowner defending his home needing to shoot a zillion shots. ... As one said... it is not that difficult to make them fully automatic.. kits exist if you know the right people.

Although I do live in a city, guns to me are far from "just a toy." I carry them daily and trust my life to them. I also work in a largely rural area. So I know the attitudes of guns in both rural and uban environments. I know of all types of guns used in muders. I actually DO know of a 15 year old in Houston who used his father's AR-15 to defend himself and his younger sister to defend their home from armed burglars. Yes, they can be converted to full auto, but you know what? So can a 9mm Glock. I don't hear people getting a hard on to ban them. I never said they were good for hunting, I said they can be fun to shoot. As for the "high power" caliber, why don't you want 30.06 banned? Those are pretty high power.

The ex military individual who murdered the three Odessa officers used a shotgun. I think you and I are pretty close to the same side of this argument, I just think you're getting caught up in the media's hard on against "assault weapons"

Although I do live in a city, guns to me are far from "just a toy." I carry them daily and trust my life to them. I also work in a largely rural area. So I know the attitudes of guns in both rural and uban environments. I know of all types of guns used in muders. I actually DO know of a 15 year old in Houston who used his father's AR-15 to defend himself and his younger sister to defend their home from armed burglars. Yes, they can be converted to full auto, but you know what? So can a 9mm Glock. I don't hear people getting a hard on to ban them. I never said they were good for hunting, I said they can be fun to shoot. As for the "high power" caliber, why don't you want 30.06 banned? Those are pretty high power.

The ex military individual who murdered the three Odessa officers used a shotgun. I think you and I are pretty close to the same side of this argument, I just think you're getting caught up in the media's hard on against "assault weapons"

--30-06..... I own one... yes they have unbelievable power..... ever heard of anyone using one in a drive-by putting dozens of holes in a house or car or shooting indiscriminately into a group..??? That is the big difference...

--30-06..... I own one... yes they have unbelievable power..... ever heard of anyone using one in a drive-by putting dozens of holes in a house or car or shooting indiscriminately into a group..??? That is the big difference...

I still think we are pretty much on the same side of the argument. My point about the 30-06 was that they can go through walls the same as a .223 or a .308. To me no long gun is ideal for home defense. Even the shotgun has a drawback unless you have a pistol grip (which does add for tremendous control when paired with a buttstock. An AK-47 or AR-15 isn't ideal for a drive by because of the length of the weapon. More ideal would be an Uzi or a Mac-10. Yes, the weapons that are sold in semi-auto configuration can be configured for full auto. HOWEVER, if you are wanting to configure it, you are most likely going to be using it for criminal activity. No legitimate gun dealer is going to commit a federal crime converting your AR. If you want a fully auto weapon, you are more likely going to purchase it on the streets, as a fully auto weapon.

My point is that your average, law abiding gun owner is not going to convert his AR into a fully auto version. If someone has a legal AR or AK, as well as any weapon, and wants to take it to the range or to the country to shoot, then I have no problem with it.

Edited by Rudy

The best home defense weapon?

DSC00272.jpg

Fires both .44 mag and .410 shells. Lots of fun.

Nice. How much did that set you back?

I've been eyeing one for that very purpose. As a gun noob, this might be my first purchase with a regular shotgun and a barretta (or ruger) also on my wish list.

What kind of shotgun are you looking at? What caliber handgun are you thinking of? I've never been a fan of Beretta

The best home defense weapon?

DSC00272.jpg

Fires both .44 mag and .410 shells. Lots of fun.

You know I had considered a Judge before. I currently carry a Star compact .45 ACP with Hydra Shok's. It's small and easily concealed, but heavy. But as heavy as it is it's nothing compared to a Judge. Once I was able to try one out at the range it was obvious it would be way too large to carry and conceal.

Still, a very cool concept. One should consider the size of it if purchasing for C&C, plus .410 shells are outrageous in price now days.

Rick

What kind of shotgun are you looking at? What caliber handgun are you thinking of? I've never been a fan of Beretta

Haven't gotten far enough in the process to have specific ones picked out. When I call myself a noob, I am REALLY a noob. Through discussions with my cousin (whose quite versed in this topic), I think I've determined that after the judge, I'm gonna go with a lower caliber hand gun (.38 or lower) and a shotgun that has as little kick as possible so that my wife would feel comfortable using and controlling it (as well as my kids once they're old enough).

I mentioned the Baretta and Ruger because my cousin had mentioned them as have good models for what we were looking for, but again, its so early in the process that I've only "window shopped" up to this point and haven't handled many. I'm not educated enough to form my own opinion at this point.

You know I had considered a Judge before. I currently carry a Star compact .45 ACP with Hydra Shok's. It's small and easily concealed, but heavy. But as heavy as it is it's nothing compared to a Judge. Once I was able to try one out at the range it was obvious it would be way too large to carry and conceal.

Still, a very cool concept. One should consider the size of it if purchasing for C&C, plus .410 shells are outrageous in price now days.

Rick

I like gun talk. You're right about the Judge being a bad carry gun. Great for home defense and entertainment but not much else. After I got my CHL a couple years ago i bought a Rock Island 1911 to carry. I've still never once carried it.... but I absolutely love the gun. Also got the .22 conversion kit which makes it a blast for plinking. You're right too about the price of .410 shells. Re-loading helps quite a bit but is a terrible pain.

Largest Army in the world...the U.S. Citizenry. Got to ove that U.S. Constitution. I personally don't own a gun, but love the fact that I couyld buy one any time I wanted to do so. I'm considering taking the "carry permit" course. Tell me...fun, yes?

Charles Whitman would disagree with you...

You gun nuts and all your gun talk are boring... but I support your right to bore me.

• Upvote 1

I like gun talk. You're right about the Judge being a bad carry gun. Great for home defense and entertainment but not much else. After I got my CHL a couple years ago i bought a Rock Island 1911 to carry. I've still never once carried it.... but I absolutely love the gun. Also got the .22 conversion kit which makes it a blast for plinking. You're right too about the price of .410 shells. Re-loading helps quite a bit but is a terrible pain.

I would suggest a 9mm or a .38 for Concealed carry. 1911 model .45's are heavy, however they are coming out with smaller .45 pistols in the 1911 frame.

Largest Army in the world...the U.S. Citizenry. Got to ove that U.S. Constitution. I personally don't own a gun, but love the fact that I couyld buy one any time I wanted to do so. I'm considering taking the "carry permit" course. Tell me...fun, yes?

I say you have the right to own and carry a firearm, exercise it. My dad is even considering getting his CHL license.

Haven't gotten far enough in the process to have specific ones picked out. When I call myself a noob, I am REALLY a noob. Through discussions with my cousin (whose quite versed in this topic), I think I've determined that after the judge, I'm gonna go with a lower caliber hand gun (.38 or lower) and a shotgun that has as little kick as possible so that my wife would feel comfortable using and controlling it (as well as my kids once they're old enough).

I mentioned the Baretta and Ruger because my cousin had mentioned them as have good models for what we were looking for, but again, its so early in the process that I've only "window shopped" up to this point and haven't handled many. I'm not educated enough to form my own opinion at this point.

By the way, if your looking for the best deal going on home defense shotguns right now, Cheaper Than Dirt of Fort Worth has a fantastic offer they run in the paper nearly every day, for an IAC 12 gauge pump shotgun with an 18.5 inch barrel and 3 inch Chamber, and a 5 Round capacity for around $195. Every now and then they will run the same equivalent gun in the Mossberg brand for under $300.

Rick

By the way, if your looking for the best deal going on home defense shotguns right now, Cheaper Than Dirt of Fort Worth has a fantastic offer they run in the paper nearly every day, for an IAC 12 gauge pump shotgun with an 18.5 inch barrel and 3 inch Chamber, and a 5 Round capacity for around $195. Every now and then they will run the same equivalent gun in the Mossberg brand for under $300.

Rick

Academy has the Mossberg in a 6 shot capacity on sale and advertised in this mornings paper for $189.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

I paste this link without comment...no comment needed.

Edit; Good grief...I didn't write the news story. I just posted it...I thought this thread was about this subject....

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 2

Kind of a short story, but I'm sure the media will jump to get all of the facts out to the public.

What facts need to be reported. A rougue pitbull got onto a school bus and attacked an 8-year-old boy and the bus driver. The dog is being quarantined to make sure it does not have rabies.

Here is the follow up story, what other info do you want?

What facts need to be reported. A rougue pitbull got onto a school bus and attacked an 8-year-old boy and the bus driver. The dog is being quarantined to make sure it does not have rabies.

Here is the follow up story, what other info do you want?

Maybe you didn't pay attention, but the initial story had very little in it. That is what I was referring to.

Maybe you didn't pay attention, but the initial story had very little in it. That is what I was referring to.

Rudy, The original story was posted by KRAM1 at 2:32 p.m. Your post was was at 3:40 p.m.

The story was updated at 5:25 p.m. My post was at 6:06 p.m. My applogies that the Arizona media does not work quicker.

• Downvote 1