Fielder to Detroit

Well, suspense is over...prince Fielder has agreed to a $214 million deal with the Detroit Tigers. Is the guy worth $214 million? Could the Rangers have paid that much after signing Yu?

So, baseball guys and gals....will this take Detroit to the promised land or will it hog-tie them like the A-Rod deal did for Texas for so long?

Well, suspense is over...prince Fielder has agreed to a $214 million deal with the Detroit Tigers. Is the guy worth $214 million? Could the Rangers have paid that much after signing Yu?

So, baseball guys and gals....will this take Detroit to the promised land or will it hog-tie them like the A-Rod deal did for Texas for so long?

I was hoping the Rangers would pick him up, but not at this price/contract length. I think he makes the Tigers better.

But, where's Miggy going to play? OF? If he DH's full-time, I think his production will slip. Will be an interesting season for the Tigers.

Probably not worth the contract but his deal in my opinion is better than what Anaheim will give Pujols. Look the Tigers are really really good. They lost Martinez for the year so they had to replace his production and they probably almost doubled it with adding Fielder. In a win now mode that contract is ok. I think he'll be really good the next 5-6 yrs...and with their organization and structure and team if they can get a WS win out of it I think it will be just fine. I know their owner is super rich but I just think it proves that 'smaller markets' can and will compete if you're committed to winning and have sound front office personnel. I believe most of the owners are frauds when they say they can't compete or they only lose money.

That said despite what Vegas said yesterday I still tend to think they're just a tick behind Texas and possibly Anaheim.

Well he is worth it because that is what the market dictated and that is what he got. Now would I have paid him that kind of money for that many guaranteed years....probably not but that is his market value because that is what he got from a team.

Is that what the market dictated? By all accounts, only the Rangers and Natinals were interested. I think Detroit got a little desperate and over paid.

• Upvote 1

Well he is worth it because that is what the market dictated and that is what he got. Now would I have paid him that kind of money for that many guaranteed years....probably not but that is his market value because that is what he got from a team.

I just can't help but think that many sports related economic aspects are experiencing a Dutch Tulip bubble.

Is that what the market dictated? By all accounts, only the Rangers and Natinals were interested. I think Detroit got a little desperate and over paid.

Some would look at it that way sure. You can also add Seattle, Toronto and the Cubbies who were said to be making a push for him at some point. Pujols got 1 year and about 25 million more and he's about 4 or 5 years older (could be older :ph34r:). Did Fielder get overpaid? Maybe but if you think about it I think he kinda got market value based on his overall numbers, age etc.

I just can't help but think that many sports related economic aspects are experiencing a Dutch Tulip bubble.

Interesting thought. One does have to wonder at what point fans and owners of all the professional teams will find out just "how much is enough". I simply cannot believe that the free market is this crazy!