Sun Belt Competition

meangreenbob

I hope Coach Dan didn't come to UNT thinking that winning the Sun Belt would be a piece of cake compared to winning the Big 12. True you can not compare the two but the Belt has some very good football coaches and it seems on paper that some of them are out recruiting UNT.

Winning and competing in the Sun Belt won't be easy as this league is getting better all the time. Too bad that it looks as if the Belt might take a hit in the realignment thats going on and just at a time when I believe things were beginning to look up for the Belt.

I honestly thought the new stadium would have a major impact on the program even though many warned that Ford Stadium didn't really help smu, at least not with attendance. Apogee certainly stopped the bleeding and building it was a must regardless.

Now I hope that being the only large public University in the DFW, and several conferences not represented in the area will help lift us up. Guess we will all be finding out soon.

Just my opinion and thoughts.

• Upvote 3

You aren't SMU.

First you churn out probably 3X as many alums and I suspect a higher percentage of alums remain within the region. So you've got more affinity base to tap into.

Second having grown up in a community with a private college, I suspect the feelings I heard expressed by a segment of the population that felt disdain for "them rich kids" carries over even in a place like the metroplex where some people will never support SMU simply because it is a private school. The guy who didn't go to college and is making a good living driving a commercial vehicle or working as a pipe-fitter or is managing a retail store is much easier to lure to a UNT game than an SMU game.

Third, you can tap into the Denton identity and get support that SMU cannot get because they aren't the community's program.

• Upvote 1