Darrell Dickey to Memphis

All About UNT

Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps Dickey was cooking with the groceries he had? We had a great defense, elite runners and not a glut of go-to receivers. Play good D, control the clock and occassionally go downfield to the one great receiver you've got (Quinn).

maybe, but north texas has had walkon starters at wide receiver in recent years and still threw the ball.

• Upvote 1

Let's stop the revisionist history.

Dickey's methods worked until they didn't. DD failed to change and upgrade his assistants and recruiting techniques as the team improved. DD also solely focused on coaching and was not the PR personalty needed to help rally the base for the new stadium.

It is better for us for DD to be in Memphis than at Texas State. You never want an ex-coach in the same state and recruiting pool.

• Upvote 3

Why do Ii think the first line in Dickey's resume is "I actually won 4 straight conference titles at the University of North Texas.... That's right, Bit(#es... At freaking U. N. T!!"

Which is followed shortly after by a job offer

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Let's stop the revisionist history.

Dickey's methods worked until they didn't. DD failed to change and upgrade his assistants and recruiting techniques as the team improved. DD also solely focused on coaching and was not the PR personalty needed to help rally the base for the new stadium.

It is better for us for DD to be in Memphis than at Texas State. You never want an ex-coach in the same state and recruiting pool.

OK, is this a first for me or what? Excellent comments here from Shaft folks. I don't recall too many folks complaining about the run oriented offense when UNT was winning...Dickey, at the end, ran a very boring offense that turned me and a lot of other Mean green fans off. But, to Shaft's point, his failure was more in not continually upgrading his assistants, changing his game plan to utilize the best players and schemes available, and in doing a VERY poor recruiting job. Well, we can also mention his "love" for the fan base.

I really do think we can give Dickey a rest here, and move on. It's Mac and Company time now, and so far...so very good!

• Upvote 1

OK, is this a first for me or what? Excellent comments here from Shaft folks. I don't recall too many folks complaining about the run oriented offense when UNT was winning...Dickey, at the end, ran a very boring offense that turned me and a lot of other Mean green fans off. But, to Shaft's point, his failure was more in not continually upgrading his assistants, changing his game plan to utilize the best players and schemes available, and in doing a VERY poor recruiting job. Well, we can also mention his "love" for the fan base.

I really do think we can give Dickey a rest here, and move on. It's Mac and Company time now, and so far...so very good!

I know this comment will tick off a lot of people, and taking nothing away from the GREAT times of winning the Conference, but we were a “good” mid major team in a very, very bad conference at the time. Look at our OOC performances and that is evident but you cannot take away the fact that the teams under DD during that period performed during conference. Sad thing is that the rest of the conference continued to improve and we somehow “Dodged” the improvement trend.

• Upvote 6

It wasn't being celebrated either.

A draw on 3rd and long on our way to a victory just meant they bit their tongues.

Many of the fans who complained about the 'draws' Dickey called wouldn't know a 'draw' if it was run up their rear end. Not every run between the tackles, dear hearts, is a draw.

GBT

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks Mark for the opportunity to mention (for the umpteenth time) the culture at North Texas. Dickey didn't understand the "culture" issues here when he accepted the job. I think that Dickey felt that he was doing great considering the culture here and the budget he was working with. I'm also thinking/guessing that those two factors were what caused him to comment about North Texas being one of the most difficult situations in college football. Instead of trying to find ways to reach out to the fans, he just went "bunker mentality" on the fan base.

I mentioned all this to say that I think that Coach Mac was much more aware of the challenges regarding our "culture" here. But I think some of his comments at one of his late season coaching shows indicated that he didn't fully understand how challenging it (overcoming our culture of apathy/indifference) was going to be.

If the administration is serious about turning this issue around, they need to be seriously working on the situation NOW, and not in the middle of the football season when attendance starts trailing off because of recent losses and/or weather.

I think that it's been clearly demonstrated in the last 10 years that wins alone and conference championships alone (with trips to bowl games) is not going to turn our culture around.

Thanks Mark for the opportunity to mention (for the umpteenth time) the culture at North Texas. Dickey didn't understand the "culture" issues here when he accepted the job. I think that Dickey felt that he was doing great considering the culture here and the budget he was working with. I'm also thinking/guessing that those two factors were what caused him to comment about North Texas being one of the most difficult situations in college football. Instead of trying to find ways to reach out to the fans, he just went "bunker mentality" on the fan base.

I mentioned all this to say that I think that Coach Mac was much more aware of the challenges regarding our "culture" here. But I think some of his comments at one of his late season coaching shows indicated that he didn't fully understand how challenging it (overcoming our culture of apathy/indifference) was going to be.

If the administration is serious about turning this issue around, they need to be seriously working on the situation NOW, and not in the middle of the football season when attendance starts trailing off because of recent losses and/or weather.

I think that it's been clearly demonstrated in the last 10 years that wins alone and conference championships alone (with trips to bowl games) is not going to turn our culture around.

The thing about turning around apathy that has grown wild for about 100 years is that it cannot turn around on a dime unless you beat someone people care about beating. Beat Tennessee, not Middle Tennessee. Beat Louisiana State, not Louisiana-Monroe. Hell, just compete with Alabama and lose a close game, don't get blown out and then trumpet your blowout victory over South Alabama. People in this locale have been trained very well not to care a thing about North Texas athletics for a lot of reasons. What they have rarely been given is an opportunity to care about the football team. With the exception of Hayden Fry's teams, there has not been much excitement with the program, with a few exceptions that were very short-lived. Beating non-Texas non-AQ teams won't do it, nor will losing to those old SWC teams help your cause even if you win out over SBC teams.

The apathy isn't going to get turned around this year unless we compete/beat LSU, UH, or KSU. The other teams on the schedule provide absolutely nothing from an interest angle, even if Arky State has a fun new coach and a solid team, or Troy bounces back from a terrible year. People here in this area just don't care about those teams. To be honest, they didn't seem to care about those CUSA or MWC teams, either, but you could at least get the casual fan to go watch a game against Southern Miss or the Air Force Academy. To me, the only current hope that North Texas has is for the following to happen: That CUSA and/or MWC will take us in and then we start winning in that league and get to schedule and beat teams in OOC that people care about (i.e., SMU, TCU, Baylor, Tech) which leads us to being ranked. I think if we played in a better conference and finished ranked, after beating someone that people care about, then the apathy would start to go down. But if this scenario doesn't happen, I don't see any way that anything ever changes here, other than we still will have a great place to watch a game for years to come.

• Upvote 1