College Football Playoffs - Blow it all Up!

Harry

First off – I got rid all of the existing conferences. The so-called “BCS Conferences” (SEC, ACC, B1G, Big XII, Pac 12, Big East)? Gone. The “mid-majors” (Mountain West, MAC, WAC, and Sun Belt)? Gone too. The “independent” status of Notre Dame, Navy and others? Gone as well. We are going to wipe the slate clean and start over with new conferences.

Super Conferences, you say? Nope. We’re going old-school. Conferences will have eight teams and eight teams only. This provides two key benefits: 1) It ensures that you cannot win your conference by benefit of a scheduling fluke that allows you to duck the good teams while you beat up the weaker members, and 2) It returns geographic sanity to conference affiliation. San Diego State in the Big East? Sorry, son. Not anymore.

The new conferences are going to be great for college football. Why? They are all based on geography, which plays up the regional, braggin’ rights rivalries that makes the college game so wonderful for fans. You want to win the conference? You gotta beat the other teams in your state/region. Plus, it means the days of the 1,200 mile trip for a conference game are gone for most schools*.

*It looks as if the longest conference road trip is 1,188 miles from Laramie, WY to Seattle, WA. Obviously, that doesn’t include the schools in the same conference as Hawaii. But most of the schools are very close together, I promise.

Some of you have probably already done the math, but here is the other amazing benefit of 8 team conferences: There are currently 120 schools playing the highest level of football (FBS, or Division I if you prefer). Four more teams are scheduled to make the jump to FBS in 2012 (Texas-San Antonio, Texas State, Massachusetts, and Southern Alabama). Promote four more schools* and you have 128 D1 teams. Why does that matter? 128 teams divided by 8 teams per conference means we end up with 16 conferences.

Read more here: http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/3792#storylink=cpy

I love this concept and the conference mates it would give us. Seems like it would actually be fair.

The only problem with it as I see - the power brokers, ie BCS would not be interested in every conference getting a fair shake. In other words greed.

Secondly, if we were to be in a conference with say a Texas, our chances of making the playoff would be pretty remote..that said, it would be a huge boon to get a school like that in Denton every year...

Probably will never happen but I loved the concept and the realization that geographical rivalries make the most sense.

This sounds awesome--to schools like ours. As soon as something like this ever got forced by the NCAA (HA!!), Texas, OU, LSU, ALabama, etc..would run away from the NCAA and start their own collective grouping in a heartbeat. Hell, they might still do that anyway, if the NCAA ever showed those schools that they have a spine for fairness, not to mention enforcement.

Edited by untjim1995