Arkansas State Hires Keith Patterson As DC

All About UNT

ESPN Post

Sounds like a pretty solid pickup by Ark St.

COACHING EXPERIENCE

Collegiate

East Central (Okla.), 1986, graduate assistant.

Tulsa, 2003-10, linebackers; 2006-10, co-defensive coordinator.

Pittsburgh, 2011, defensive coordinator & linebackers.

High School

Altus (Okla.), 1988-91, assistant coach.

Edmond Memorial (Okla.), 1992-93, assistant coach.

Edmond Santa Fe (Okla.), 1994, head coach.

Allen (Texas), 1995-96, 2000 & 2002, assistant coach.

Ardmore (Okla.), 1997-99, head coach.

BOWL GAMES AS A COACH

2003, Humanitarian Bowl (Tulsa)

2005, Liberty Bowl (Tulsa)

2006, Armed Forces Bowl (Tulsa)

2007, GMAC Bowl (Tulsa)

2008, GMAC Bowl (Tulsa)

2010 Hawai'i Bowl (Tulsa)

Good for Arky State.

Isn't it amazing how when a "smaller" school hires an experienced D1 coach that coach can put together a top flight staff even on a limited budget?

i don't know if these numbers are 100% accurate, but i saw somewhere ASU is paying new head coach about $250,000 with remaining $600,000 coming from alumni. i assume that alumni helping out on this hire as well as mens head basketball coach. perhaps our ArkState fan can shead some light on the subject.

i don't know if these numbers are 100% accurate, but i saw somewhere ASU is paying new head coach about $250,000 with remaining $600,000 coming from alumni. i assume that alumni helping out on this hire as well as mens head basketball coach. perhaps our ArkState fan can shead some light on the subject.

It is hard to nail it down exactly because of the incentives - but Malzahn will likely make between 800K and 850K. State law limits salary at 156K from athletic department funds, so the rest must be from donors(not necessarily alums).

Patterson will make around 200K, per the Jonesboro Sun. I think I read 90K of that will come from donors.

What has happened here is similar to what happened when Dickey Nutt was the highest paid guy in the conference for a bit. Money seems to come from other parts of the state when certain people are the coach. We were only going to be able to offer Freeze 450K to 550K to stay.

So basically 300K or so evidently came from "new" sources in Little Rock and/or Northwest Arkansas, as I understand it. Malzahn is beloved guy in this state from his days as a high school coach through offensive coordinator at Arkansas.

Edited by WinstonTheWolf

It is hard to nail it down exactly because of the incentives - but Malzahn will likely make between 800K and 850K. State law limits salary at 156K from athletic department funds, so the rest must be from donors(not necessarily alums).

Patterson will make around 200K, per the Jonesboro Sun. I think I read 90K of that will come from donors.

What has happened here is similar to what happened when Dickey Nutt was the highest paid guy in the conference for a bit. Money seems to come from other parts of the state when certain people are the coach. We were only going to be able to offer Freeze 450K to 550K to stay.

So basically 300K or so evidently came from "new" sources in Little Rock and/or Northwest Arkansas, as I understand it. Malzahn is beloved guy in this state from his days as a high school coach through offensive coordinator at Arkansas.

it's cool to see the community stepping up and paying for a coach so that the money doesn't have to come from the university. i don't know how smart of an investment it is for them, but cool to see the people caring enough to put their money in play.

Winston pretty well covered it. State law caps what can be spent in university funds, rest has to come from the booster club. If we were in a conference that paid out $30 million a year, none of that could be spent salary above the cap amount.

While I hear a lot of talk about money coming in from the NW corner of the state, I've yet to confirm it.

I was told the university approached 50 people asking for $50,000 committment. I know five of them. Two from NE Arkansas, one from Central Arkansas, two from out-of-state. I was told the biggest parcel of the money came from a University of Arkansas alum who owns a few large businesses in Jonesboro. By history he has been very generous to ASU when ASU presents a plan for a donation or sponsorship that will result in a big step forward to improving the school and the local community. I believe that this year the bump in attendance and the way it helped make the six game days busy in Jonesboro helped him to believe than a large investment in ASU football would be an investment in helping the overall community.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1