Could it be...

BIG DAWG

In reading another thread, I wanted to discuss whether or not people think Cooper Jones was redshifted not because he is worse than McNulty, but because players benefit from an extra year of development, especially at the QB position, and the coaching staff wanted a little bit of separation between Jones and Thompson because Jones will be given a shot to replace Thompson when he graduates?

Just a thought...

That would make complete sense if Coach Mac hadn't said that Jones would be moved from the QB position numerous times on his coach's show (according to Greenjoe, who has a far better attention span than I).

Who knows, maybe Coach Mac was just trying to light a fire under Cooper's butt. At least that's what I hope.

Without impugning Coach Mac's integrity or arguing the merits of the other three scholarship quarterbacks, let's talk about Cooper Jones.

I find it hard to believe that Cooper Jones can play any other position than quarterback at the FBS level. I seem to recall that he was a top pick at a quarterback camp that he attended so he does have some acumen for that position. He could get by on physical ability at the 2A level but he had plenty to learn and needed to work on bulking up as well as building speed. Thus the redshirt year.

Having little need to block, he would have a lot to learn to get up to speed at tight end. He could probably handle the pass-catching phase of that position because quarterbacks have good hands. If he chose that route he'd likely be fifth or sixth team next year. We will have two seniors at that position so he might move up to third team the following year if he can pass one of the Smiths.

Coach McCarney misspeaks at times but don't we all? Especially when we are put on the defensive.

Edited by GrayEagle

I'm not writing McNulty off, but I think he should have also been given a redshirt year to further develop and mature. I think he was thrown into situations that he wasn't ready for that hurt the team and could have potentially hurt McNulty's development.

I was highly critical during the year of playing McNulty over Osborn based upon game performance, but this had nothing to do with McNulty personally. He is probably a great young man, and I hope he is one of the players we look at upon his graduation as one of the greats to play at North Texas, as I wish for all of our players, but his playing this year didn't make sense.

• Upvote 1

This disturbs me greatly. The whole season we saw Jones on the sidelines with the other QBs, warming up with them, and going through their motions.

If the intention was for him to play another position next season, why was he not already transitioned and working out with his new group and coachs?

And putting any stock in Mcnulty as starting QB scares me...

Edited by MeanGreenDan

And putting any stock in Mcnulty as starting QB scares me...

I don't think there is a chance McNulty unseats Thompson, and if that is true that would only gives him one year without Thompson on the roster...their will be someone to take the reins by then that will have enough eligibility to start more than one season...

All that to say that no one needs to worry about McNulty being the #1 in Denton...now if the #1,goes down, all bets are off!

All that to say that no one needs to worry about McNulty being the #1 in Denton...now if the #1,goes down, all bets are off!

Unfortunately, this #1 has that history, so finding a #2 that can come in and play at a level slightly below the current #1 is of the utmost importance for this football team. Right now, we have a #1 and a #4, with nothing in between.