San Jose filing Mountain West paperwork?

Harry

Here is a tweet from a writer named Jeremy Mauss:

@JeremyMauss Jeremy Mauss

SJSU said to have submitted paperwork to join the Mountain West. sbn.to/s4EE1b

Here is the guys profile: http://www.sbnation.com/users/Jeremy%20Mauss

If true, it would be significant because most thought UTEP would move west and the Mountain West would pick up Utah State...

Here is a tweet from a writer named Jeremy Mauss:

@JeremyMauss Jeremy Mauss

SJSU said to have submitted paperwork to join the Mountain West. sbn.to/s4EE1b

Here is the guys profile: http://www.sbnation.com/users/Jeremy%20Mauss

If true, it would be significant because most thought UTEP would move west and the Mountain West would pick up Utah State...

ECU submitted paperwork to join Big East as soon as ink was dry on Pitt and Syracuse being accepted by ACC, so i don't think this means much at this time. i'm sure Utah State also has done the same with MWC. the proposed CUSA/MWC merger now depends on whether or not MWC gets AQ status. i assume they will know before merger meeting scheduled for 1/15/12.if MWC get BCS status,merger is off, and they will have 8 football schools. i don't know what their goal is;9,10,or 12, so UTEP could still be in the mix. i hope AQ for MWC aproved and UTEP moves west.

Edited by wardly
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do people outside of TX realize that UTSA just finished their first year of football with a 4-6 record against FCS level teams?

Those that are not from this area think that UTSA is similar to the South Florida model. They don't realize that the walking birds have no history of support for any of their atheletic teams like USF had with basketball. I think there is a huge difference between the two. USF had already proven that they would be a strong fan base. I may be proved wrong, but I doubt UTSA will end up with that kind of support.

Even if San Jose is the 18th team in the merger (which I doubt) this is still good news. It means the WAC is dead and the Sun Belt can LA Tech and UTSA to get to 12.

San Jose and Hawaii would be football only members and UTEP would be east in football and west in all other sports leaving 18 teams for fb and 16 for all other sports.

Likewise, the SBC should have even numbers. Perhaps invite one all sports team for 12 in BB and one FB only team for 12 with a championship game at the team with the best records home field. TSU or UTSA for all sports and LA Tech football only. Alternatively, go to 14 in FB with UTSA, TSU, and La Tech for all sports then add NMSU football only, with UTA for all other sports.

Do people outside of TX realize that UTSA just finished their first year of football with a 4-6 record against FCS level teams?

Actually their victories were over Northeastern St (OK), Bacone, Minot State and Ga State. I think only Ga State is FCS level. They did finish strong and actually did better than I expected with an overtime loss to USA and played McNeese St. and Sam Houston close. Not bad for a first year team.

I think SJSU does have that potential and market. They're not to far from a bunch of big whig technology companies and they're in a region that typically has good sports fans. I don't think they'd be a bad addition for anybody especially considering the market they offer and if they can really right their ship and win.

San Jose is the only remaining CSU school not named San Diego or Fresno that still has a football team. They don't (in reality) maintain 15,000 in attendance, nobody follows them (they share geographic market with Cal and Stanford), and the overall school is suffering devastating budget cuts from an already bankrupt state government. Five years, there will be no San Jose St. Football. They are a non-entity.

San Jose is the only remaining CSU school not named San Diego or Fresno that still has a football team. They don't (in reality) maintain 15,000 in attendance, nobody follows them (they share geographic market with Cal and Stanford), and the overall school is suffering devastating budget cuts from an already bankrupt state government. Five years, there will be no San Jose St. Football. They are a non-entity.

CSU-Sacramento is FCS.

Actually their victories were over Northeastern St (OK), Bacone, Minot State and Ga State. I think only Ga State is FCS level. They did finish strong and actually did better than I expected with an overtime loss to USA and played McNeese St. and Sam Houston close. Not bad for a first year team.

and averaged 32,000+ in attendance. compare that to Tex. St., NMSU, La. Tech, etc. when smoke clears and IF we are still in belt, i would like to expand to 12 or 14 with East/West divisions and a meaningless play off game.

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of the location of SJSU. Who cares about SJSU besides SJSU alums? If you're a casual fan in that area, wouldn't you root for Stanford?

Same for UTSA. I suspect most that haven't any connection to the school root for the Longhorns. There's history on their side, as is the case with Stanford. Oh sure the games would be fun now and then (I'll go to just about any college football game), but in the long run, SJSU and UTSA are going to be in an afterthought conference.

I just don't buy all this "they're located near a major market stuff" anymore. So are we and it's never meant a thing. So is UH. So is Rutgers. So is FAU, FIU, et al. Again, nothing. Sure, there's an occasional fun year for fans of these major-market state schools, but none of these schools ever transcend side-show to powerhouse.

It's a strange phenomenon in college sports.