Former North Texas star Glen Holloway passes

Harry

CORPUS CHRISTI — Former Miller High School football star Glen Holloway died at age 63 Tuesday after a battle with liver cancer.

Holloway, who graduated from Miller in 1966, played college ball at North Texas and went on to a five-year NFL career as a starting offensive lineman with the Chicago Bears and Cleveland Browns. He also spent one season with the Shreveport Steamers of the World Football League before retiring in 1975.

"Glen was one of my favorite guys of all time at Miller," former Miller assistant coach Freddy Jonas said. "The one thing I'll always remember about Glen was one day he pulled up to the back end of Miller High School in a car. He was driving and his mom was sitting in the passenger seat, because he was a kid and he was just learning to drive. So, Glen gets out of the car and he says, 'Momma, if you keep getting onto me about how I'm driving, I'm not going to buy you a house when I get to the pros.' And, of course you know, he did end up in the pros and had a really good career."

Holloway, who played with NFL Hall of Famer "Mean" Joe Greene at North Texas, was a team captain in college and an All-American offensive lineman. He also played in the East-West Shrine Game, Blue-Gray Game and the Senior Bowl before being drafted by the Chicago Bears in the 10th round of the 1970 NFL draft.

That year, he started every game at offensive guard and earned the inaugural Brian Piccolo Award. Piccolo died right before Holloway's rookie season and the team dedicated an award to him given annually to the Bears player who best exemplifies the courage, loyalty, teamwork, dedication and sense of humor of Piccolo.

Read More: http://www.caller.com/news/2011/dec/21/former-miller-star-nfl-player-holloway-dies-at/