What I'd like to see in terms of North Texas Realignment Efforts

Harry

1). I'd like to see any and all politicians who represent the district within the University resides or just the faithful UNT alums in political positions bring it to the attention of the state that this opportunity exists and UNT is well qualified for it.

2). I'd like to see AFTER the decision is made, a comprehensive documentation of the efforts that were made in terms of building bridges with Conference USA and Mountain West officials including Britton Banowsky, Thompson, board members et al. Do they know the facts and if so are they being moved off of them because of other lobbying efforts? For instance, do they know about Apogee stadium, the athletic center, Eagle Point property, the coaches we have hired, the latest budget numbers. Do they know that teams and television crews will have a much easier time accessing DFW airport (no long bus rides) and that our new stadium is tailor made for media broadcasting with the best technology available...we can't expect them to know these things off the top of their head we have to beat these messages into them until they stick. Remember we came up short in 2005 for CUSA, they owe us the courtesy of seeing how dramatically things have changed since that time from a facility perspective. Have they been given a tour? I know The University of Houston folks loved Apogee but they are in a new conference now.

3). I'd like to see AFTER the decision is made, a comprehensive documentation of the efforts that were made in terms of building bridges with other conference USA school presidents, chancellors etc. We focus too much power at the feet of Banowsky and Thompson, lets make sure that the real power brokers which are the presidents and AD's at the Universities know our story and the value we provide. Letters, emails phone calls...all of these things will measure how hard we tried. Don't say we did all we could like last time, we need documentation this time around.

4). I would be very direct with each of the conference schools, ie Tulsa/Rice/UTEP/Southern Miss Presidents and AD's where exactly do you stand and can we count on your support? Last time around UTEP got the edge but we never heard who was for us and who was agin us. I'm not taking that crap anymore. If you are against us, be a man and tell us to our face-- tell us why. Did any of you guys see the politicking going on in those Big 12 letters to David Boren? Some laughed at SMU and San Diego State letters but you can't argue their outcome. If you think this isn't happening with our competitors you're crazy. They are influencing in every way that they can.

There should be copies of multiple letters from Dr. Rawlins and RV, Lee Jackson, etc that clearly document our efforts to promote our inclusion and raise awareness of our inherent advantages. I'm not talking butt kissing, but clearly written, factual accounts of our strengths, via accomplishments and our plans for the future. If you think baseball is a hole, address it in terms of a plan. if you think they are concerned about large market teams having long term loyalty then address that as well.

These are a few of my primary thoughts and I am sure there are others that you guys will bring out as well. Here's my deal, I'm loyal to this program whatever happens in terms of conference realignment. However, if we come up short this time around, please don't expect me to buy into the reasons why we came up short through a "we found other candidates who better met our needs letter" from Banowsky or Thompson... I want to see specifically that we made a strong effort to educate ALL of them on the reasons why we are their best choice and make it clear that we are deserving of being selected.

If in the end, we don't get an open spot in CUSA or the Mountain West or the Alliance at a bare minimum we should understand exactly why this time and who supported us/who didn't. I understand and respect the need for confidentiality during the process and I know that they are doing everything that they can. After the smoke is cleared I as a donor and supporter would like to see that we did our very best and came out knowing why the decision was made. If we don't get the nod then at least we will know why and can address it, or perhaps it is something that can't be addressed and then we can know that too so we can plan for the future.

That is all I ask. GMG!

Thank you Harry. I totally agree with this. To me, this is the answer to all those out there who have said "quit being negative and have faith that our administrators are doing their best to move things forward". This is a public University. I expect full disclosure from administrators regarding their efforts to get this University in a position to realize it's maximum potential......and then I'll think about having faith.

Again, great post Harry......+10

• Upvote 2

So, basically you're tired of all the rumors of school's blackballing us over the last 30-40 years. Agreed. Are our administrators doing all they can to improve our lot in conference realignment, are we getting blackballed by other schools, or do is it simply a dog and pony show our administrators put on to keep the loyal fans satisfied?

Let's settle it once and for all. An open records request by Vito ought to do the trick. :)

The only down side to this thread, is that it insinuates that Harry is starting to expect that we'll get passed over again...

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2

So, basically you're tired of all the rumors of school's blackballing us over the last 30-40 years. Agreed. Are our administrators doing all they can to improve our lot in conference realignment, are we getting blackballed by other schools, or do is it simply a dog and pony show our administrators put on to keep the loyal fans satisfied?

Let's settle it once and for all. An open records request by Vito ought to do the trick. :)

The only down side to this thread, is that it insinuates that Harry is starting to expect that we'll get passed over again...

....or any interested North Texas alumni/fan who is familiar with how to file the paperwork. I suspect that Vito, or the DRC/DMN have the paperwork already loaded on their computer and just have to fill in certain blanks and hit "print".

However, unlike Alumni/fans, Vito risks compromising his working relationship with administrators/coaches every time he files said paperwork.

Not so with us.

The only thing it says to me is that Harry is no longer going to operate on faith, when it comes to the actions (or inaction) of our administrators.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

The other school presidents and AD's are the true power brokers here. Remember the conference commissioners in essence work for the schools. I'd say that the all of the AD's know who we are and what we've done the last decade or so with the new stadium, commitment to athletics etc. I think all we need to do as in RV, Rawlins etc is to keep on networking and getting our name out there and not lose sight of the fact that we still have an arena and stadium to fill. If those things happen I don't see why we'd be passed up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Harry, I agree with each point that you made but we do not know that every one hasn't been covered. We are much more experienced with the ins and outs of politicking for admission to a conference than any previous effort.

Rick Villareal was the Athletics Director when we applied in 2005 so he has been through this before; albeit unsuccessfully. President Lane Rawlins was instrumental in the formation of CUSA when he was president at the University of Memphis. Who better to know that conference? He has also been a member of the NCAA council so he should know the requirements and how to best present them. Chuck Neinas (and his firm) has been an advisor in coach selection and supposedly also in selling the university to other institutions. If I remember correctly, he was the one who gathered the information for CUSA at the last expansion.

I would bet the farm that we have prepared a sterling presentation and have been in contact with the presidents of each institution in both CUSA and the Mountain West. Dr. Rawlins knows what is at stake financially for us and I'm sure that he understands that a higher profile conference will be far better for us attendance-wise.

Our previous downfall (when UTEP was chosen) was facilities and attendance. At least this time they can't gig us for facilities. Another advantage is that neither conference will now have a presence in the fifth largest TV market and we have more alumni in that area than SMU and TCU combined. Our proximity to the third busiest airport is another plus. We would be in the center of a merged league or within the footprint of either conference. Our football program appears to be turning the corner as our coaching changes have us moving in the right direction. Unfortunately, the improvement is not yet enough to be a strong factor in our favor. Our other sports, especially basketball, are becoming very competitive. We have much more going for us this time around.

One thing that I'm definitely with you on is the accounting for any reason, or reasons, for failure should we not be accepted. At least, we have one less adversary in each conference this time around so protecting turf can't be the excuse.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

I'd like to see:

1. More people buying/renewing season tickets. About a year and half ago I was at chamber of commerce event with TCU's AD. When asked what the number one thing people could do to help the program, he said buy season tickets. Season tickets sales are an important number conference look at.

2. Buy/go to basketball games.

If you want to impress CUSA, show them you care about your school by buying tickets.

• Upvote 2

1). I'd like to see any and all politicians who represent the district within the University resides or just the faithful UNT alums in political positions bring it to the attention of the state that this opportunity exists and UNT is well qualified for it.

2). I'd like to see AFTER the decision is made, a comprehensive documentation of the efforts that were made in terms of building bridges with Conference USA and Mountain West officials including Britton Banowsky, Thompson, board members et al. Do they know the facts and if so are they being moved off of them because of other lobbying efforts? For instance, do they know about Apogee stadium, the athletic center, Eagle Point property, the coaches we have hired, the latest budget numbers. Do they know that teams and television crews will have a much easier time accessing DFW airport (no long bus rides) and that our new stadium is tailor made for media broadcasting with the best technology available...we can't expect them to know these things off the top of their head we have to beat these messages into them until they stick. Remember we came up short in 2005 for CUSA, they owe us the courtesy of seeing how dramatically things have changed since that time from a facility perspective. Have they been given a tour? I know The University of Houston folks loved Apogee but they are in a new conference now.

3). I'd like to see AFTER the decision is made, a comprehensive documentation of the efforts that were made in terms of building bridges with other conference USA school presidents, chancellors etc. We focus too much power at the feet of Banowsky and Thompson, lets make sure that the real power brokers which are the presidents and AD's at the Universities know our story and the value we provide. Letters, emails phone calls...all of these things will measure how hard we tried. Don't say we did all we could like last time, we need documentation this time around.

4). I would be very direct with each of the conference schools, ie Tulsa/Rice/UTEP/Southern Miss Presidents and AD's where exactly do you stand and can we count on your support? Last time around UTEP got the edge but we never heard who was for us and who was agin us. I'm not taking that crap anymore. If you are against us, be a man and tell us to our face-- tell us why. Did any of you guys see the politicking going on in those Big 12 letters to David Boren? Some laughed at SMU and San Diego State letters but you can't argue their outcome. If you think this isn't happening with our competitors you're crazy. They are influencing in every way that they can.

There should be copies of multiple letters from Dr. Rawlins and RV, Lee Jackson, etc that clearly document our efforts to promote our inclusion and raise awareness of our inherent advantages. I'm not talking butt kissing, but clearly written, factual accounts of our strengths, via accomplishments and our plans for the future. If you think baseball is a hole, address it in terms of a plan. if you think they are concerned about large market teams having long term loyalty then address that as well.

These are a few of my primary thoughts and I am sure there are others that you guys will bring out as well. Here's my deal, I'm loyal to this program whatever happens in terms of conference realignment. However, if we come up short this time around, please don't expect me to buy into the reasons why we came up short through a "we found other candidates who better met our needs letter" from Banowsky or Thompson... I want to see specifically that we made a strong effort to educate ALL of them on the reasons why we are their best choice and make it clear that we are deserving of being selected.

If in the end, we don't get an open spot in CUSA or the Mountain West or the Alliance at a bare minimum we should understand exactly why this time and who supported us/who didn't. I understand and respect the need for confidentiality during the process and I know that they are doing everything that they can. After the smoke is cleared I as a donor and supporter would like to see that we did our very best and came out knowing why the decision was made. If we don't get the nod then at least we will know why and can address it, or perhaps it is something that can't be addressed and then we can know that too so we can plan for the future.

That is all I ask. GMG!

Good luck!

What you get is a letter by our President praising tcu and smu on their advancement into major conferences.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Good luck!

What you get is a letter by our President praising tcu and smu on their advancement into major conferences.

I like the letter. I take the message to be: 'people of our region, get behind the region's representatives in the arena of college sports.' It so happens that UNT is best situated among the three to represent by far the most people in the region, so UNT by far has the most to gain from this (diplomatically) collective message.

This should be followed by an aggressive saturation campaign of the eagle logo. Maybe AA will take money to drop leaflets. I think the trustee would have to consider any offers.

• Upvote 1

I like the letter. I take the message to be: 'people of our region, get behind the region's representatives in the arena of college sports.' It so happens that UNT is best situated among the three to represent by far the most people in the region, so UNT by far has the most to gain from this (diplomatically) collective message.

This should be followed by an aggressive saturation campaign of the eagle logo. Maybe AA will take money to drop leaflets. I think the trustee would have to consider any offers.

All it takes is a photo of the student section of that last game at Apogee and any positive move will be doomed. Remember we were passed over for UTEP for one reason---our lack of attendance. The student culture of apathy has to change and quickly for UNT to have any shot in realignment. :growl:

• Upvote 1

All it takes is a photo of the student section of that last game at Apogee and any positive move will be doomed. Remember we were passed over for UTEP for one reason---our lack of attendance. The student culture of apathy has to change and quickly for UNT to have any shot in realignment. :growl:

One reason?

I thought it was because our facilities were pathetic and our budget was tiny. Solved and solved!

I thought facilities played a role in that too?

Please. EVERY SMU home game this year had a student turnout that looked like our WORST turnout (that last game in the rain) and they were just PROMOTED to the Big East.

• Upvote 1

Please. EVERY SMU home game this year had a student turnout that looked like our WORST turnout (that last game in the rain) and they were just PROMOTED to the Big East.

That's not true, but that doesn't really matter. Our turnout for a single game isn't the issue.

We need to cease to participate worring about what everyone else is doing and worry about what we can control...

For Students: Its attendance. Go to the games, all the games. As many games as you can.

For Alumni: Season ticket sales. Basketball ticket sales.

As fans we can impact the primary indicators conferences looks for in new members.

Edited by shaft