As conference's shift, FAU and FIU take wait-and-see attitude

Harry

Florida Atlantic and Florida International, currently members of the Sun Belt, could be a target for Conference-USA in the wake of the raid by the Big East, but both schools say it is too early to say what might happen.

"We like where we are," said FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos Wednesday. "That is not to say we wouldn't consider a move, but it would have to be something we felt would enhance our athletic program."

"There are too many moving parts right now," said FIU Athletic Director Pete Garcia. "Call me back in a couple weeks when things have settled down."

The nine team C-USA could merge with the seven-member Mountain West, forming a 16-team conference with no need to add new members, leaving the nine-member Sun Belt intact.

Angelos said FAU, like UCF, has focused on improving its facilities and competitiveness so they would be attractive for a conference looking for a new member.

"We feel we took a step forward with the new football stadium," Angelos said. The $70 million, 30,000-seat FAU stadium opened Oct. 15.

"We are also in a market with five million people and two TV markets and we are in one of the hottest spots for recruiting in the country," Angelos said.

Having a team or teams in Florida is what could make FAU and FIU targets for conferences in search of new members.

And Sun Belt Commissioner Wright Waters is aware of that.

Read More: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fl-fau-fiu-conference-expansion-1209-20111207,0,1908366.story

Not a fan of the 'wait-and-see' method. Shouldn't we be going over to the CUSA headquarters and giving them some Mean Green apparel?

I just don't like sitting and doing nothing. We should either be talking to other conferences, or tell the Belt to get other members. Didn't we see what happens if you wait and see- i.e. Big XII nearly dying!

I think North Texas needs to be proactive, either getting out of the Belt, or getting other teams in. Do something, anything!

Not a fan of the 'wait-and-see' method. Shouldn't we be going over to the CUSA headquarters and giving them some Mean Green apparel?

I just don't like sitting and doing nothing. We should either be talking to other conferences, or tell the Belt to get other members. Didn't we see what happens if you wait and see- i.e. Big XII nearly dying!

I think North Texas needs to be proactive, either getting out of the Belt, or getting other teams in. Do something, anything!

We are doing something and have been for more than a decade. We've moved back up to 1A ... we've increased our athletic budget and coaches salaries ... we've greatly improved our athletic facilities. If you're talking specifically about moving up to CUSA we not only have "sources" claiming we are working on it but we also have official word from the athletic department that our administration is working behind the scenes to make our case.

To say we are not being proactive is incorrect. To think that our administration would put all this effort into improving our athletic department and then sit on our hands at this time is illogical.

• Upvote 2

We are doing something and have been for more than a decade. We've moved back up to 1A ... we've increased our athletic budget and coaches salaries ... we've greatly improved our athletic facilities. If you're talking specifically about moving up to CUSA we not only have "sources" claiming we are working on it but we also have official word from the athletic department that our administration is working behind the scenes to make our case.

To say we are not being proactive is incorrect. To think that our administration would put all this effort into improving our athletic department and then sit on our hands at this time is illogical.

I didn't know that.

I just wish that our name would come up more in the conversations being had by non-North Texas people.

I didn't know that.

I just wish that our name would come up more in the conversations being had by non-North Texas people.

You might prefer for the work to stay behind the scenes. If any progress became known there would be a barrage of hate from both current members and aspirants. If a leak happened before anything was signed, and it backfired, we would be the butt of many jokes. Quietly, I'd like for our backers to know the progress but that would be public knowledge as soon as some members could get to their computers and phones.

I have confidence in our president. Dr. Rawlins knows the NCAA as well as any "outsider" could. We also have a consultant whose firm is very good at knowing which flesh to press. If there are additions, and I believe there will be, I like our chances a lot.

• Upvote 2

We also have a consultant whose firm is very good at knowing which flesh to press. If there are additions, and I believe there will be, I like our chances a lot.

I'm fairly certain we are no longer retaining Chuck Neinas' services, and I'm fairly certain he is not allowed to offer his consulting services as long as he is acting Big 12 commish.

Unless you're talking about somebody else . . . ?

I'm fairly certain we are no longer retaining Chuck Neinas' services, and I'm fairly certain he is not allowed to offer his consulting services as long as he is acting Big 12 commish.

Unless you're talking about somebody else . . . ?

I don't know if his acceptance as Big 12 (interim) commissioner voided his contract with us or not. Chuck, personally, might not be able to act in our behalf but that might not apply to his firm. Of course, if we were trying to get into the Big 12 that would be a conflict of interest, with or without a valid contract.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

I don't know if his acceptance as Big 12 (interim) commissioner voided his contract with us or not. Chuck, personally, might not be able to act in our behalf but that might not apply to his firm. Of course, if we were trying to get into the Big 12 that would be a conflict of interest, with or without a valid contract.

I thought we paid him for a service?

His contract with UNT was fullfilled when he supplied a report to Rick V. and he now has no obligation to us.