CUSA's Banowsky Speaks

Harry

“Given the underlying commercial elements and the current BCS structure, moving conferences seems to be a regular occurrence in this present culture,” Banowsky said. “We have developed some great relationships with those leaving us and appreciate the contributions they have made to our conference.

“We trust they made their decision after careful and thoughtful analysis and with the necessary assurances and wish them well.”

Banowsky said in the weeks ahead, there are plans to move forward to improve Conference USA.

“We are excited about the progress we are making with our friends from the Mountain West and look forward to completing our future membership initiatives together,” Bankowsky said. “Ultimately, our institutions will seek to align with other institutions that share our values for excellence in higher education and intercollegiate athletics, and possess the greatest potential for future growth and success.

“There is no timetable for this process, but we have a solid group of presidents that will be focused on maximizing this opportunity in a thoughtful and expedient manner.”

Read More: http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20111207_231_0_TheBig229973

“Given the underlying commercial elements and the current BCS structure, moving conferences seems to be a regular occurrence in this present culture,” Banowsky said. “We have developed some great relationships with those leaving us and appreciate the contributions they have made to our conference.

“We trust they made their decision after careful and thoughtful analysis and with the necessary assurances and wish them well.”

Banowsky said in the weeks ahead, there are plans to move forward to improve Conference USA.

“We are excited about the progress we are making with our friends from the Mountain West and look forward to completing our future membership initiatives together,” Bankowsky said. “Ultimately, our institutions will seek to align with other institutions that share our values for excellence in higher education and intercollegiate athletics, and possess the greatest potential for future growth and success.“There is no timetable for this process, but we have a solid group of presidents that will be focused on maximizing this opportunity in a thoughtful and expedient manner.”

Read More: http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20111207_231_0_TheBig229973

Is he talking about MWC schools here, or other schools?

We are in a delicious position.

Even if there is a merger there is a prime university in a rich as heck region ready to jump at an invitation. That monster win over MTSU was a great last impression to leave for 2011. Georgio said it perfectly earlier today - why don't select programs recreate the SWC now. There is very little lose and developing regional rivalries is going in the opposite direction of what is happening now. Do different, be different. Soon SMU is going to get tired of playing Rutgers, San Diego State is going to get tired of playing everyone. Boise will always be Boise. I think you are going to see these mass flung conferences regionalize in the future, so lets beat them to the punch.

UNLV

UNM

NMSU

Tulsa

North Texas

La Tech

Rice

UTEP

Southern Miss

Memphis

Invite Houston and SMU back to the fold when AQ goes away and the Big East dissolves.

GMG

• Upvote 2

I like this very much, however, can New Mexico and NM State co-exist ? I'd also like to see Tulane if one of these schools fall out. Also, this would allow for only 3 OC games which is OK, again, assuming all the above schools would get on board. It's a good tight regional conference. The way it was intended. Is the name "SWC" atill available ?

GO MEAN GREEN

What did Banowsky say? I've read it a dozen times and I can't determine his intent other than talks will continue with no timetable. I know "coachspeak". I think that I've just been introduced to "commissionerspeak".

BTW, if there is a merger is there any indication of who survives as commissioner?

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

I like this very much, however, can New Mexico and NM State co-exist ? I'd also like to see Tulane if one of these schools fall out. Also, this would allow for only 3 OC games which is OK, again, assuming all the above schools would get on board. It's a good tight regional conference. The way it was intended. Is the name "SWC" atill available ?

GO MEAN GREEN

Me too Joe...it would be FUN! Can you imagine how attendance might be improved with some of these regional games? Wow. I think Apogee would see much bigger and much more enthusiastic crowds.

• Upvote 1

What did Banowsky say? I've read it a dozen times and I can't determine his intent other than talks will continue with no timetable. I know "coachspeak". I think that I've just been introduced to "commissionerspeak".

BTW, if there is a merger is there any indication of who survives as commissioner?

Internet "sources" say that Banowsky is a leading candidate for the Big XII commish job and that MWC's Thompson would be the man for the "MWC/CUSA" thang.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I think this is the Banowsky whose dad was the president of OU back in the day.

Anyway, to hell with Banowsky. To be as close to UNT as the C-USA office is and snub us. Banowsky can bite my lilly white butt.

All of 'em can bite my lilly white butt. We need to circle the wagons and starting knockin' their asses down in every sports we play 'em in! SMU and Houston have already proven that the C-USA is just a whale fart of a conference by leaving it behind to go play football damn near in Nova Scotia!

I wish them all a big bag of sports nothing!