Freeze accepts the job at Ole Miss

Dr. Seuss

http://espn.go.com/c...ach-report-says

I keep on talking about money but im interest to see how long Mac will stay here if he puts on a winning season like Freeze did this year. Freeze did a great job this past year and interesting to see how he'll do at Ole Miss. I bet he'll be right at around a million a year, quite a upgrade from 200k, or around 750k due to the money that they owe Nutt.

Mac could easily get over a Million in the Big 10 or Big12, a 100% increase is allways a good thing when it comes to your financial future. Ive grown up my whole life by this motto "Do what you love to do and the money will come." If Mac truely loves North Texas and wants to be here for the long run, he'll stay but if his heart is somewhere else, he'll leave. I can never say what is good for you because thats youre job. Most importantly job security is something to take inconsideration, and if you dont win early youll be out just as fast as you came in. And its a "What have you done for me lately" attitude right now and you always have to strive to be better because once youre on top someone is right behind you trying to take your spot.

Great Job by Freeze, Congrats

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

http://espn.go.com/c...ach-report-says

I keep on talking about money but im interest to see how long Mac will stay here if he puts on a winning season like Freeze did this year. Freeze did a great job this past year and interesting to see how he'll do at Ole Miss. I bet he'll be right at around a million a year, quite a upgrade from 200k, or around 750k due to the money that they owe Nutt.

Mac could easily get over a Million in the Big 10 or Big12, a 100% increase is allways a good thing when it comes to your financial future. Ive grown up my whole life by this motto "Do what you love to do and the money will come." If Mac truely loves North Texas and wants to be here for the long run, he'll stay but if his heart is somewhere else, he'll leave. I can never say what is good for you because thats youre job. Most importantly job security is something to take inconsideration, and if you dont win early youll be out just as fast as you came in. And its a "What have you done for me lately" attitude right now and you always have to strive to be better because once youre on top someone is right behind you trying to take your spot.

Great Job by Freeze, Congrats

I'm sure asking Coach Mac. about motivations to stay or leave UNT without known what the future job would be and all the benny's would be hard in advance of the offered position. All of us go through this when making a job change. If coach Mac. does leave I'm sure Coach Canales would be lobbying for the job, unless RV and our President told Canales when he was Interim HC "don't even bother applying for HC in the future because you won't be hired" I'm reasonably sure RV didn't say this to Canales or I doubt Canales would have stayed on with new staff as our OC.

DMac is going no where, so why even bring this up. Freeze was an up and coming OC and then one year in as HC he has a 10 win team, DMac no matter how much everyone loves him is still 30 games to the negative after a 9-10 year stay at a Big 12 school.

DMac is going no where, so why even bring this up. Freeze was an up and coming OC and then one year in as HC he has a 10 win team, DMac no matter how much everyone loves him is still 30 games to the negative after a 9-10 year stay at a Big 12 school.

Theres a difference between developing a program from scratch to one thats already in place. If you look at all the coaches that got fired this year, there overall records are right at even or above .500. Sometimes you just need a change in leadership, companies do this all the time.

I think Mac enjoys building a program, you can see that in the way he talks and his passion. He wants to be the one who did the impossible, I think thats what motivates him. But if youve done all you can and the pieces just dont fall in place, you have to move on.

I dont think Mac will leave, I think hes gonna be a Chris Peterson or Gary Patterson type of coach, but you never know. Im just interested to see if he'll recieve any offers, interviews or anything, then to see what we need to do to keep him.

Edited by Dr. Seuss

I think DMac does want to build this program, but I think he said this was going to be his last head coaching position, or am I just breathing in too many fumes from this propane heater?

I know 100% he wants to build it but let's be real, if he gets a great offer that is impossible to turn down one day he would jump all over that. I won't blame him either.

I think DMac does want to build this program, but I think he said this was going to be his last head coaching position, or am I just breathing in too many fumes from this propane heater?

Yes, he said that, but he has to. He's not going to come in here and say, "Thanks to UNT for giving me this job, and I'm looking at it as a stepping stone to a more recognizable job! I can't wait for the upcoming opportunity, but in the meantime, UNT will do."

I think if an AQ school came calling for McCarney, he would bolt.

Hope I'm wrong though!

Yes, he said that, but he has to. He's not going to come in here and say, "Thanks to UNT for giving me this job, and I'm looking at it as a stepping stone to a more recognizable job! I can't wait for the upcoming opportunity, but in the meantime, UNT will do."

Hope I'm wrong though!

I think it's obvious that Coach Mac is very disappointed in the fan support. He has busted his tail to get people, particularly students, to games, to little response. I think Coach Mac loves a challenge, and loves being at North Texas. But if a school came calling that wasn't apathetic (a pathetic school?), that would support him and his team, I agree that he would be gone.

I think it's obvious that Coach Mac is very disappointed in the fan support. He has busted his tail to get people, particularly students, to games, to little response. I think Coach Mac loves a challenge, and loves being at North Texas. But if a school came calling that wasn't apathetic (a pathetic school?), that would support him and his team, I agree that he would be gone.

Very true in your points. But he would also have about a half a million or a million extra reasons why would probably bolt NT.

This guy seems to set new standards for what is an "up-and-coming" coach. Damn! 10-2 in his first year?!?! Does anyone know what ArkSt's talent level was just before he was hired? How much talent did he bring in during the off season?

This guy is either a great coach/recruiter or great at evaluating the potential of his next job.

I haven't seen anything like this since back in the early 60's when Chuck Curtis won a state championship at Jacksboro (62) and then moved on to Garland where he won two more state championships (63 & 64).

This guy seems to set new standards for what is an "up-and-coming" coach. Damn! 10-2 in his first year?!?! Does anyone know what ArkSt's talent level was just before he was hired? How much talent did he bring in during the off season?

This guy is either a great coach/recruiter or great at evaluating the potential of his next job.

I haven't seen anything like this since back in the early 60's when Chuck Curtis won a state championship at Jacksboro (62) and then moved on to Garland where he won two more state championships (63 & 64).

Cue Arkansas State fan to refute this all again...

Our coach just won 83% of the games our last coach won in his entire freaking career (including already one more conference win); yet, here we are...

Hope I'm wrong though!

If Coach Mac gets a great offer, that likely means he will be leaving a strong program behind at UNT. I don't want to see him go but will certainly be thankful for the good work he will have done here to earn that hypothetical offer, and maybe we will be strong enough to keep on going in the right direction when/if that happens.

Worrying about holding in to a great coach is a nice problem to have, huh?

• Upvote 1

Here's a link to the latest coaching changes: http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop

I found this interesting regarding the new FAU hire:

FAU: Carl Pelini's agreement is five years with base pay of $450,000 per. Pelini's incentives are largely based off of season ticket sales (he can earn a maximum of $200k per year if they sell 24,000 season tickets, $100k if they sell 12,000). He also has some smaller bonus opportunities tied to bowl games ($20k non-BCS, $50k BCS) and winning the conference championship ($20k).

A while back, I was talking to a local HS basketball coach. He really likes Johnny Jones and has gotten to know him pretty well through recruiting and camps. We were discussing the job Jones has done here at UNT, and that eventually he will move on. He said that JJ really was interested in the Auburn job and it was for one reason--$$$$. Getting double the pay for a decent amount of time for any coach, no matter their age, will always be the major deciding factor. If Coach Mac got offered a higher paying job at another school up the food chain, even at his age, he would take it. Its why the AD alwasy ahs to be ready with that list of names to hire when needed. Its my belief, by the way, that if/when Coach Mac leaves, that Canales would then be the guy. RV loves him.

Ole Miss fans can't be happy about this hire. SEC is a league heavy with defense. Freeze is an offense guy. He'll suffer the same fate most offensive mind coaches suffer in the - lots of losses, and eventual firing. But, at least he'll be set for retirement.

I know... Les Miles, Urban Meyer, Bobby Pertino, Mark Richt all have/had a tough times in the SEC because there all offensive guys.....

Then I think RV would be picking the wrong Coordinator to promote

I disagree--Chico showed us all that he could lead the program in his short interim stint last year. I know the offense hasn't been great this year, but we lost a lot from the year before, had a new head coach, and his QB was pretty much learning on the fly with an Oline that was very thin. The entire team got much better as the year went on and the offense showed improvement. I think that Derek Thompson will have a great year next year and I think that we will find a solid replacement for Dunbar. Assuming Chico stays, I think this upcoming season will be even better for the offense. I like both of our coordinators, though. I just hope they both stay here this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ole Miss fans can't be happy about this hire. SEC is a league heavy with defense. Freeze is an offense guy. He'll suffer the same fate most offensive mind coaches suffer in the - lots of losses, and eventual firing. But, at least he'll be set for retirement.

Yeah, Steve Spurrier, Les Miles, and Bear Bryant were real flops in the SEC.

EDIT: Just saw your post, Dr. Seuss. They say great minds think alike; and for some reason, ours do too.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1