If No CUSA/MWC We Take The Hit & Start A New Conference

PlummMeanGreen

Obviously, just killing time watching the debates...:rolleyes:

The Sun Belt Conference as Wright Waters has envisioned it might as well be called the South Belt Conference. Nothing wrong with Wright, but for a non AQ league it really is too far spread out IMHO.

Folks, we are not going to make much in TV revenues now or anytime soon, so regionalize into a new conference with a few metro areas in it.

I know we lose more in basketball points, but the Big Boy are on the verge of really making us lose more than just points.

A consortium of college presidents at some (or all ) of the schools listed below would hire a good "experienced with conference TV packages"" associate commisioner to be this league's new commish' (probably one who is presently employed in an established conference)............. then............. turn him loose.

He (she) might then get a consortium of schools in a 4 or 5 state region (Texas, La, NM, Ark, ???). If Wright Waters can get the SBC a bowl game in its 1'st year, I think history can repeat itself in doing that again with a strong, new commissioner. (Maybe one of our new schools already has a bowl in its city or could get a 2'nd bowl a la New Orleans Bowl)?

Conference Name? The name "Southwest Conference" is not available and is now housed or headquartered at the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, Waco.

YOU NAME THE CONFERENCE AND WHAT CRITERIA THAT EACH SCHOOL IN IT SHOULD FOLLOW WITH FACILITIES, ACCESS TO AIRPORTS, ATTENDANCE STANDARDS, ETC, ETC, ETC

The ___________________Conference

(1) UTSA

(2) TSU

(3) NMSU

(4) Ark State

(5) La Tech

(6) ULouisiana

(7) Middle Tennessee

(8) North Texas

(9) "You name the school if we have to have 9"

I know starting a new league has not been the thing to do of late, but what do non AQ programs have to lose at this point in time or in the near future?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

The Sun Belt Conference as Wright Waters has envisioned it might as well be called the South Belt Conference. Nothing wrong with Wright, but for a non AQ league it really is too far spread out IMHO.

Folks, we are not going to make much in TV revenues now or anytime soon, so regionalize into a new conference with a few metro areas in it.

I know we lose more in basketball points, but the Big Boy are on the verge of really making us lose more than just points.

A consortium of college presidents at some (or all ) of the schools listed below would hire a good "experienced with conference TV packages"" associate commisioner to be this league's new commish' (probably one who is presently employed in an established conference)............. then............. turn him loose.

He (she) might then get a consortium of schools in a 4 or 5 state region (Texas, La, NM, Ark, ???). If Wright Waters can get the SBC a bowl game in its 1'st year, I think history can repeat itself in doing that again with a strong, new commissioner. (Maybe one of our new schools already has a bowl in its city or could get a 2'nd bowl a la New Orleans Bowl)?

Conference Name? The name "Southwest Conference" is not available and is now housed or headquartered at the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, Waco.

YOU NAME THE CONFERENCE AND WHAT CRITERIA THAT EACH SCHOOL IN IT SHOULD FOLLOW WITH FACILITIES, ACCESS TO AIRPORTS, ATTENDANCE STANDARDS, ETC, ETC, ETC

(1) UTSA

(2) TSU

(3) NMSU

(4) Ark State

(5) La Tech

(6) ULouisiana

(7) Middle Tennessee

(8) North Texas

I know starting a new league has not been the thing to do of late, but what do non AQ programs have to lose at this point in time or in the near future?

TSU would never leave the SWAC, but not a bad idea though. Would be nice if Rice and Tulane decided they were tired of the CUSA travel (and losing) and hooked up with the new conference. At least we would have an old SWC member that way. UTEP's another nice thought, but I doubt it.

TSU would never leave the SWAC, but not a bad idea though. Would be nice if Rice and Tulane decided they were tired of the CUSA travel (and losing) and hooked up with the new conference. At least we would have an old SWC member that way. UTEP's another nice thought, but I doubt it.

New conference name: LDGA: League of Dreams Gone Amuck

Texas Southern U? Actually, I had Tarleton State U more in mind. I mean we'd need a real cowboy school in the LDGA and after all, this TSU are the Texans!. :sword:

(But probably moreso....Texas State University, right)?

GMG!

PS: I'm sorry, my head is still spinning over what appears to be the last true kick in the ass I will probably see for North Texas in my lifetime in the area of so-called "good ol' alma mater trying to improve its lot in a better conference." I despise SMU even more but not for the obvious, but for the fact as to what happened for them was tantamout to how you feel when just read in the newspaper that a multi-millionaire just won the $10,000,000 lottery. You look up to the heavens and cry out: "WHY THEM, THEY DIDN'T EARN IT!" :angry: (And jealousy has absolutely zero to do with anything with me when it pertains to Smoke & Mirrors University, either).

I also know that a new conference has about a 99.9% chance of never happening and probably even shouldn't at this stage of the game. I am just pissed and probably need to take a whole bottle of chill pills right now. Our leadership has not helped us for decades and that rears its ugly head just one more time with this apparent "turn down" for a golden opportunity. On thing good would be if the AQ term is completely drop kicked into orbit--then there would be cause for celebration and maybe even a little smirk aimed at some to boot. :rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

A 'New Southwest Conference' would be nice. Composed of IA schools from Texas, Louisiana (south Louisiana, not north Louisiana), Oklahoma, & New Mexico, we could have reduced travel costs, regional rivalry, and be associated with better academic institutions.

Ain't likely to happen of course, but then neither was Apogee. List of best-to-worst case scenarios

1) cUSA

2) MWC

3) new regional conference

4) WAC

5) independence

6) a good 5A Texas HS conference

7) Sun Belt

(1) UTSA

(2) TSU

(3) NMSU

(4) Ark State

(5) La Tech

(6) ULouisiana

(7) Middle Tennessee

(8) North Texas

Don't need to start a new league. SBC is adding So. Alabama to schedule in 2012 and to the conference in 2013,

Invite two more teams to join SBC, create two divisions and a Conference playoff.

West Division East Division

UNT FAU

La Tech FIU

Arkie St Troy

LaLa WKU

La Monroe MTSU

NMST or UTSA So, Ala

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't need to start a new league. SBC is adding So. Alabama to schedule in 2012 and to the conference in 2013,

Invite two more teams to join SBC, create two divisions and a Conference playoff.

West Division East Division

UNT FAU

La Tech FIU

Arkie St Troy

LaLa WKU

La Monroe MTSU

NMST or UTSA So, Ala

La Tech would be a natural, but they won't play in same division as Monroe. add Texas St.,NMSU,La. Tech, UTSA to NT,A-State,& ULL as Western Division in 14 team conference. Monore,Troy,USA,FAU,FIU,WK, and MTSU would conprise Eastern Division.works for SEC.