City targets game-day lawn parking

UNTflyer

i think UNT is dropping the ball on this one... they need to build another parking lot on the golf course that is a gameday lot where they charge $15 to park there... seems like that would be an excellent moneymaker and could serve as the prime parking lot when they build the new track facility

FREEBIE: Marijuana legalization proponents say there are no long-term harmful effects from smoking dope. I counter by showing you the city of Denton and its citizenry as Exhibit 1A, the leading example of people's brains being damaged by long-term marijuana use.

ROTFLMAO!!! Classic.

• Upvote 1

Why does the city of Denton continue to show UNT the middle finger. Maybe the school's biggest weakness is the shit city its located in....

Agree.

Denton could be the only city in American that has a University, college, or junior college within its boundaries that would come up with a "no lawn parking" ordinance, six times a year. Unbelievable. Why not let the private homeowner decide?

• Upvote 1

So I guess the city residents can thank Denia for this tidbit:

Also, a city ordinance requires residents to buy $5 annual permits to park on the street outside their homes during stadium events. Each permit comes with up to three annual guest passes, and residents can buy $2 temporary day passes to accommodate large gatherings.

So, in order to park on the street in front of their own house, a resident has to PAY extra. Sure, its just $5, but the hassle of going and getting it. But, it is all the fault of the big ole bad university. As a resident I would have gone more nuts over the extra fee than the traffic on 6 game days a year.

Agree.

Denton could be the only city in American that has a University, college, or junior college within its boundaries that would come up with a "no lawn parking" ordinance, six times a year. Unbelievable. Why not let the private homeowner decide?

The ordinance is in place to prevent residents from parking on their lawns and making the neighborhood look cluttered. It's actually quite common and I'm willing to bet nearly every city in North Texas has such an ordinance.

The question becomes a matter of enforcement. It could be an unwritten policy to just look the other way six days out of the year for the good of the city. I'm pretty certain enforcement isn't a high priority when there are city-sponsored festivals such as JazzFest.

Alas, city leaders seem determined to make parking at or near Apogee a major issue even to the point of harassing homeowners who just want to make a few bucks and support their local university.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Question #1: Is Denton the stupidest city in America?

Five to six times per year cars would be parking in home, to the pecuniary benefit of the homeowner.

The city is making money from the people being in their city and spending money.

We can laugh at OU and LSU and other college cities as rednecks and backwards. But, somehow, their cities and citizens find a way to accommodate hundreds of thousands of people a year willing to give them money six weekends or so each year.

Question #2: Does Denton even want to be a city?

I live in a city called Frisco, a city drilled out of farmland in the middle of nowhere, which 20 years ago had no major roads leading into it.

From the time I've graduated from UNT until now, Frisco has about doubled the population of Denton...Denton, sitting right off of the heavily traveled I-35.

Question #3: Does any city in America do less with more than Denton?

Plenty of educated people around, not much in the way of office buildings or big corporate employers. Yes, I know recently some have been built. But, this is in a town with a university with one of the highest student enrollments in the state of Texas, and in the country.

Are there any progressive business thinkers in Denton at all?

FREEBIE: Marijuana legalization proponents say there are no long-term harmful effects from smoking dope. I counter by showing you the city of Denton and its citizenry as Exhibit 1A, the leading example of people's brains being damaged by long-term marijuana use.

Every single point is brilliant!

So I guess the city residents can thank Denia for this tidbit:

So, in order to park on the street in front of their own house, a resident has to PAY extra. Sure, its just $5, but the hassle of going and getting it. But, it is all the fault of the big ole bad university. As a resident I would have gone more nuts over the extra fee than the traffic on 6 game days a year.

Nothing like self taxation. Got to be the easiest money that the city ever made. Now, if you are smart, you buy several of the temporary passes and sell them to people who want to park on the street. Sell them for $15, and you make $13. Easy money.

I live in a city called Frisco, a city drilled out of farmland in the middle of nowhere, which 20 years ago had no major roads leading into it.

From the time I've graduated from UNT until now, Frisco has about doubled the population of Denton...Denton, sitting right off of the heavily traveled I-35.

Frisco is growing a lot faster, but Denton is still bigger. Frisco also has a wealthier tax base to keep up with the growth. Frisco's main economic engine is growth, whereas Denton has always been more established. Tiny prairie towns generally have an advantage when it comes to rate of growth to a city that has older infrastructure and residents that aren't as transient. Not to mention a commute from Frisco to anywhere with higher-paying jobs is much easier than from Denton.

Denton is transitioning from college-town to suburb and the growth will come with it. City officials have gotta figure out how to balance that, and from the complaints I hear they don't seem to be doing a great job.

Edited by Coffee and TV

Five to six times per year cars would be parking in home, to the pecuniary benefit of the homeowner.

The city is making money from the people being in their city and spending money.

We can laugh at OU and LSU and other college cities as rednecks and backwards. But, somehow, their cities and citizens find a way to accommodate hundreds of thousands of people a year willing to give them money six weekends or so each year.

Plenty of educated people around, not much in the way of office buildings or big corporate employers. Yes, I know recently some have been built. But, this is in a town with a university with one of the highest student enrollments in the state of Texas, and in the country.

Brilliant! I have long held the notion that the "City" of Denton and the Denton Record Chronicle, have long had their collective heads up their colletive asses. It is, and long has been, a backward thinking town. Forward thinking towns like Grapevine, Frisco and others in the area have taken advantage of their location and assests and have capitalized on them. It is nearly impossible to get anything from a business nature started in Denton. It's no wonder the infrstructure is what it is. Denton's leadership is a joke.

Why does the city of Denton continue to show UNT the middle finger. Maybe the school's biggest weakness is the shit city its located in....

It certainly has its flaws but I wouldn't call Denton a shit city by any means. It's a great place that is growing and it will have to make that transition as it is becoming more of a suburbian place. The city is probably just following our own alumni and students of not really caring much what UNT does especially in athletics. You win and you make some national headlines and fill up Apogee and the Super Pit then I have no doubts that the city will be right there to support UNT.

Five to six times per year cars would be parking at homes, to the pecuniary benefit of the homeowner.

Wow Lonnie you are on fire today!! Great stuff!