Our future MWC-mate New Mexico grows up...

...and hires a football coach: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7242433/bob-davie-new-mexico-lobos-coach-source-says

I always liked Bob Davie. But, the buttpods at places like Notre Dame run you off if you're not perfect.

No school tries to live harder off their no-facesmasks, only white-guys football years than Notre Dame.

I hope Bob Davie does well in Albuquerque. He, arguably, can't do worse.

---------

Here's another questions: We hired Dan McCarney, an older, more experienced coach. Texas State, Franchione. New Mexico, Davie. Those aren't the question. Those are just statements.

The question is, are we going to see a trend of schools saying, no more gambling on these coordinators who do good for a year or two at a non-BCS AQ? Give us old, fired BCS AQ.

Hobbs, New Mexico is now a place Bob Davie will go. He'll be so popular there, he will own Hobbs!

The question is, are we going to see a trend of schools saying, no more gambling on these coordinators who do good for a year or two at a non-BCS AQ? Give us old, fired BCS AQ.

It's an interesting question, because it's a mathematical impossibility for every team to hire only experienced head coaches. The current crop ain't gonna live forever, and somebody has to eventually replace them. Are we in for a 10-15 year period of who blinks first?

I wasn't a huge fan of Davies in both so I'm happy to see him go.

It isn't exactly a new trend of old coaches going to non-AQ schools. Price went to UTEP. I remember Earl Bruce going to Colorado St. after leaving Ohio St. Howard S from OU to FAU. It might be a little more common now but it has always been going on.

I thought UNM was going to get Glen Mason. I like him better. He rebuilt KU and Minnesota.

Davies will make UNM better but they have a long way to go to get back to respectability.

You do know Davie hasn't coached in any capacity in 10 years, right?

Yes. The guy they fired came straight out of a Big Ten program with no breaks in employment...and, see where that got them.

Also, it's not like Davie has been lying around on the couch eating corn chips and drinking moonshine like Barry Switzer was when Jerry Jones hired him.

Davie's been on TV and has seen the game change on and off the field. It's probably healthy for him to have gotten the perspective.

Yes. The guy they fired came straight out of a Big Ten program with no breaks in employment...and, see where that got them.

Also, it's not like Davie has been lying around on the couch eating corn chips and drinking moonshine like Barry Switzer was when Jerry Jones hired him.

Davie's been on TV and has seen the game change on and off the field. It's probably healthy for him to have gotten the perspective.

Agree, TFLF, a good hire on the Lobo's part. I think Bob Davies was also an assistant at TAMU if memory serves me well so Texas won't be a strange recruiting ground for him (as if it is for anyone in the known universe).. He will probably give Texas Tech a run for their money on a few recruits out west.

I also like the "our future MWC-mate" part too.:thumbsu:

• Upvote 1