Joe Pa fired

UNT90

I'm not sure how all Boards work, but generally they turn over every two or three years...four maybe. So, my guess is, the current Board wasn't the Board seated when the incidents took place.

Nonetheless, that's passing the buck way too far up the line.

Person of guilt #1 is Jerry Sandusky for committing the crimes.

Person of guilt #2 is Mike McQueary for witnessing a child being raped by Sandusky and (1) not stopping it, (2) not reporting it to the police, and (3) not following up.

Person of guilt #3 is Joe Paterno for taking the information about the rape from McQueary and (1) not reporting it to the police, and (2) simply punting it up the line, and (3) not following up.

Person of guilt #4 is Tim Curley for taking the information about the rape from Paterno and (1) not reporting it to the police, and (2) simply punting it up the line, and (3) not following up.

Person of guilt #5 is Gary Schultz for taking the information about the rape from Curley and (1) not reporting it to the police, and (2) simply punting it up the line, and (3) not following up.

Person of guilt #6 is Graham Spanier for taking the information about the rape from Curley and Schultz and (1) not reporting it to the police, and (2) apparently quashing it altogether, and (3) not following up.

Let's just stop here. Here are five adults who had knowledge of the rape of a 10-year old boy by a 61-year old man, and not one of them notified authorities of the obvious crime. And, some people want to bring the current Board into question?

The issue should have never reached the Board. If persons #2-6 had given a damn about anything other than Penn State football, they would have reported the crime immediately!

The bulk of my venom go to #2, McQueary. How he didn't step in a kick Sandusky's ass right then and there I'll never be able to comprehend. Sandusky sits in a jail cell now, and in a manner of weeks will be heading to the penitentiary. He'll get his.

It's galling to me that everyone else, it appears, will walk without jail time because they kicked the information up the line and had, therefore, done all that they legally had to do. It's the biggest damn cop out in the history of college scandals.

Board, hell...five grown men withheld their knowledge of the rape. Like Sandusky, they should all be legally culpable for every crime he committed that day and thereafter.

Thanks civil courts, they will be held at least civilly responsible. With 40 victims found so far, Mike McQueary, Joe Paterno, and the other three bottom feeding scum will spend years in court rooms and be driven into bankruptcy. O.J. Simpson only had one victims family to try to hid income from. McQueary, Paterno, and the rest will have dozens after all judgements in this thing are in.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Joe Paterno [snip] will spend years in court rooms and be driven into bankruptcy.

Maybe, but he'll probably be dead by the time this all gets wrapped up. Then the victims get to fight probate and go after the estate for their settlements, yes? Joe Paterno the person won't suffer much financially from this. Joe Paterno the legacy may or may not suffer from this. America has a venomous, spiteful, punishing mentality for these things, but a very, very short memory.

. America has a venomous, spiteful, punishing mentality for these things, but a very, very short memory.

You're saying we Americans are quick to forgive and forget pedophilia? This scandal, still growing, is unlike anything ever seen. I'm not sure any of generalizations can be applied.

Three things mentioned by Pittsburg reporter Mark Madden, who has been on this story for the last year:

1) There are rumors currently under investigation that Second Mile (Sandusky's charity) was pimping out young boys to rich donors

2) That Sandusky was given the chance to retire in 1999 in exchange for the cover-up.

And 3) Second Mile was used as a slush fund to pay former Penn St players.

#3 makes a lot of sense. I could see Joe Pa protecting a friend, but have wondered throughout this whole thing why the administration would go out of it's way to cover terrible charges of sexual abuse against an assistant coach. It would make sense that Sandusky was holding major NCAA violations over their heads. This would provide the connection to actually protecting the football program and Joe Pa rep from irreparable harm.

Just when you think this can't get any worse.

The number of victims is now over 40. Don't envy the investigators who will now have to go through and seperate the inevitable false claims (nuts, people looking for a payout) from the real victims.

Edited by UNT90

You're saying we Americans are quick to forgive and forget pedophilia? This scandal, still growing, is unlike anything ever seen. I'm not sure any of generalizations can be applied.

While certainly not on a national media scale, I've been through it at an institutional level with thousands of alumni as a donor base. Two faculty members preying on young boys for at least ten years during the 80s. It's been less than ten years since everything broke. One of the two shot himself in the head, the other ran away to quiet retirement in Montana. There were never any criminal charges, and the school paid out $3 million in settlement money to the plaintiffs. Nobody remembers. In fact, when the surviving perpetrator died last year, I was quite surprised at the fond memories, sympathy and well wishes expressed by those who had called for his public execution a few short years earlier.

So to answer your question, yes. We Americans are indeed quick to forgive and forget when the transgressions are committed by our beloved heroes.

Maybe, but he'll probably be dead by the time this all gets wrapped up. Then the victims get to fight probate and go after the estate for their settlements, yes? Joe Paterno the person won't suffer much financially from this. Joe Paterno the legacy may or may not suffer from this. America has a venomous, spiteful, punishing mentality for these things, but a very, very short memory.

Joe Paterno's name is mud. His legacy is the sexual abuse of dozens of young children under his watch as coach of Penn St.

Americans may forget a DWI arrest by some stupid teen idol, but they won't forget this, and we are only at the initial stages of information on the biggest scandal in college athletics history.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While certainly not on a national media scale, I've been through it at an institutional level with thousands of alumni as a donor base. Two faculty members preying on young boys for at least ten years during the 80s. It's been less than ten years since everything broke. One of the two shot himself in the head, the other ran away to quiet retirement in Montana. There were never any criminal charges, and the school paid out $3 million in settlement money to the plaintiffs. Nobody remembers. In fact, when the surviving perpetrator died last year, I was quite surprised at the fond memories, sympathy and well wishes expressed by those who had called for his public execution a few short years earlier.

So to answer your question, yes. We Americans are indeed quick to forgive and forget when the transgressions are committed by our beloved heroes.

Your example applies well to Penn St fans. They're bullish enough on Paterno to forget. Nationwide his legacy is ruined.

Your example applies well to Penn St fans. They're bullish enough on Paterno to forget. Nationwide his legacy is ruined.

Korby actually had an intelligent thought on the matter yesterday. He said whenever he hears the name Kent St., he automatically thinks of the shooting of students by the national guard that occurred in the 60s.

He (and I agree) said that for an entire generation of Americans, whenthe name Penn St is mentioned from this point forward, the 1st thought in their mind will be the sexual abuse of children cover-up.

This has damaged Penn St for the next 50 years.

Edited by UNT90

A lot of folks on here is saying the BOT dropped the ball on not firing JoePa earlier but I personally commend them from firing him at some point BEFORE the game on saturday. I think this story/scandal has been surreal to just about anybody and I think they wanted to deliberate and sort of take in all the facts and stuff that is going on. Kudos to the BOT that they took this action...not giving them a free pass necessarily but they decided JoePa's fate at the end of it.

After the season this will be a complete clean house. I don't think anybody associated with the JoePa era will be a part of the school anymore. The more that is coming out the more I think the only true punishment besides the legal ones is the death penalty. The lack of institutional control was a million times beyond what SMU, OSU, USC and Miami and you name them did combined.

Either way this scandal will become a lot more bigger in the coming days, weeks, months, and probably years.

Korby actually had an intelligent thought on the matter yesterday. He said whenever he hears the name Kent St., he automatically thinks of the shooting of students by the national guard that occurred in the 60s.

He (and I agree) said that for an entire generation of Americans, whenthe name Penn St is mentioned from this point forward, the 1st thought in their mind will be the sexual abuse of children cover-up.

This has damaged Penn St for the next 50 years.

Exactly

Plaintiffs attorneys will happily sue with either the live Joe Paterno or the dead Joe Paterno's estate.

I will say it again...the NCAA should immediately announce that any Penn State player is allowed to transfer to any other school (at any level and in any conference) he wishes immediately or anytime after the season ends with immediate playing eligibility!

As a parent, I would not want my son associated with that program for even one second longer. Many of these players could easily transfer and play elsewhere.

DISGUSTING AND SICKENING...I had someone try to rationalize the Joe Paterno and McQueray situation to me last evening...that person seriously needs to rethink his moral compass in my opinion. "Legal" has nothing at all to do with it...Pontius Pilate may have done the legal thing...and then he washed his hands of the matter....Everyone at Penn State seems to have followed Pontius Pilate's lead! "Well, I covered my rear end legally, who cares what continues to happen to those kids...I did the right thing legally". Oh, sure...it stops there, right? DISGUSTING...SIMPLY DISGUSTING.

• Upvote 3

A lot of folks on here is saying the BOT dropped the ball on not firing JoePa earlier but I personally commend them from firing him at some point BEFORE the game on saturday. I think this story/scandal has been surreal to just about anybody and I think they wanted to deliberate and sort of take in all the facts and stuff that is going on. Kudos to the BOT that they took this action...not giving them a free pass necessarily but they decided JoePa's fate at the end of it.

After the season this will be a complete clean house. I don't think anybody associated with the JoePa era will be a part of the school anymore. The more that is coming out the more I think the only true punishment besides the legal ones is the death penalty. The lack of institutional control was a million times beyond what SMU, OSU, USC and Miami and you name them did combined.

Either way this scandal will become a lot more bigger in the coming days, weeks, months, and probably years.

All those schools had some ethics violations going on and more than a handful of NCAA regulations being violated too. But compared to things that are downright illegal and immoral, and them being covered up for decades? Those other issues don't even register on radar.

PSU's reputation will be marred forever, and Joe Paterno won't be known as one of the best coaches in college football history, he'll be known as the man who covered for a pedophile and possible prostitution trafficker.

As it gets closer and closer to Saturday...I cannot believe that Penn St. will be playing a football game tomorrow. What a circus it will be---with or without Paterno or McQueary on the sidelines.

I kinda think this is what the players, student, alumni and everybody else sort of needs. The scandal will still be there but after the first few mins I think the game will be a breathe of fresh air.