Tulsa World Reveals Emails to OU Regarding B12 Expansion

Harry

OK fess up, which one of you is Rob on page 120?

Mike, If I were Athletic Director at KU, KState, Iowa State, OSU, Mizzou, maybe Texas Tech, I would try to bring in SMU and UNT. And then TCU. I would - in a business like manner - oppose OU and Texas. It's business, not personal. OU understands that. And OU is pretty reasonable to deal with. If OU opposes SMU and UNT, the Big 12 North schools will probably favor it. It's probably in their interest to go against OU and Texas. What can OU do? Go to Corvallis OR? Or Pullman WA? or Athens GA?

Set up the gate receipts split so that home team keeps the gate, give only a small guarantee to the visitor to cover travel. That protects OU's big crowds at home. OU would keep all but a small guarantee to say SMU for travel and little more. TV contracts don't care much about butts in the seats. It's a TV game now.

Those north schools would like the travel - reasonably convenient on the I 35 corridor. They would like the beatable teams. And they would like to recruit student athletes and student students from affluent North Texas.

If OU opposes SMU and UNT, that would be good reason for KU et al to vote to admit SMU and UNT.

TV money with Fox will be plenty lucrative.

Thoughts?"

WOW is all I have to say to some of the things I have read so far:

• The OU AD believed that UT and Notre Dame collaborated to present a joint inclusion pitch to the B10.
  • Fox Sports asked the B12 to consider SDSU for membership.
  • Beebe was so far out of the loop that he was freaking out about reports on fan sites like orangebloods.com and emailing the AD's to confirm/deny them.
  • The KSU AD met with Mark Cuban, and he wanted to bring the rest of the AD's to meet with him.

I am only about 20% through the document, and you have to wade through a ton of dumb email to get to the gold, but it's been interesting.