Just curious

emmitt01

If this conference shakeup comes to and our location doesn't magically sway CUSA or any other suitor not named WAC will anyone here go off the deep end? Will any of you seriously consider dropping or reducing your support? Will we have pages upon pages dedicated to how we are doomed and the fates don't like us? Or, will we remember that supporting NT is why we are all here and will we continue to build our fanbase and program based on our pride in our Alma mater? I only ask because some excuse or another has always been our "crutch." When we were 1AA that was our albatross. Then, once we moved up, it was the Big West's fault. Then we joined the Belt and went on a bowl streak...but Fouts was still our nemesis. Then it was Todd Dodge (ok, that one was true). Now, in a brand new stadium that is over a half century in the making we actively root for SMU to get to the highest qualification so that we can backdoor into their old home...assuming that we have FINALLY our panacea in CUSA.

I have met the enemy...and he is us.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You have to love a quote from Pogo The Possum to start the morning. We will be here regardless of our conference affiliation. We have had season tickets since 1972 and have seen lots of conferences from the Missouri Valley to the Sun Belt. My focus is on supporting the football program of North Texas. We will be there if we have a home game against UT-Austin or Austin College.

• Upvote 2

Amen. But I sure would like to do it in CUSA.

My off the deep end moment already happened when Houston and SMU moved up to AQ status.

If we are in the new CUSA or the Sun Belt, our goal as a program HAS to be to DOMINATE. That is it. That is the only way we get our Alumni and Students to notice and attend our freakin games. To me, DOMINATING is the only way we get notice in this area.

It will be interesting to see if our attendance in Basketball jumps at all...if this team can reach its true potential.

BTW, I think I'm bringing out the family this Friday Night.

• Upvote 1

If this conference shakeup comes to and our location doesn't magically sway CUSA or any other suitor not named WAC will anyone here go off the deep end? Will any of you seriously consider dropping or reducing your support? Will we have pages upon pages dedicated to how we are doomed and the fates don't like us? Or, will we remember that supporting NT is why we are all here and will we continue to build our fanbase and program based on our pride in our Alma mater? I only ask because some excuse or another has always been our "crutch." When we were 1AA that was our albatross. Then, once we moved up, it was the Big West's fault. Then we joined the Belt and went on a bowl streak...but Fouts was still our nemesis. Then it was Todd Dodge (ok, that one was true). Now, in a brand new stadium that is over a half century in the making we actively root for SMU to get to the highest qualification so that we can backdoor into their old home...assuming that we have FINALLY our panacea in CUSA.

I have met the enemy...and he is us.

Well, many people thought that the cures to all our ills would be to,(a) build a new stadium and B. hire a REAL college coach. Well, both of those things have come to pass and we still haven't sold out our fabulous new stadium. We may be on pace to have our highest average attendance ever, but I'd be willing to bet it won't be by much. Now, many are saying that things will get magically better if we are in CUSA.....or whatever higher ranked conference.

You know what these discussions look/sound like to me? It looks/sounds like a guy who has never lived up to his potential (started college but never finished, works at a marginal job, Is never decisive or has any confidence in himself) who has a date or so with a really great girl, and after the second date asks her to marry him. When she points out that she's concerned about all the aforementioned issues, he says "well, all those things will be resolved after you marry me"....besides, don't you think I have a lot of potential?

If that really great girl was your daughter, what would you advise her to do?

Edited by SilverEagle

Well, many people thought that the cures to all our ills would be to,(a) build a new stadium and B. hire a REAL college coach. Well, both of those things have come to pass and we still haven't sold out our fabulous new stadium. We may be on pace to have our highest average attendance ever, but I'd be willing to bet it won't be by much. Now, many are saying that things will get magically better if we are in CUSA.....or whatever higher ranked conference.

You know what these discussions look/sound like to me? It looks/sounds like a guy who has never lived up to his potential (started college but never finished, works at a marginal job, Is never decisive or has any confidence in himself) who has a date or so with a really great gal, and after the second date asks her to marry him. When she points out that she's concerned about all the aforementioned issues, he says "well, all those things will be resolved after you marry me"....besides, don't you think I have a lot of potential?

If that really great gal was your daughter, what would you advise her to do?

You said gal... errr, typed gal.

You know what these discussions look/sound like to me? It looks/sounds like a guy who has never lived up to his potential (started college but never finished, works at a marginal job, Is never decisive or has any confidence in himself) who has a date or so with a really great girl, and after the second date asks her to marry him. When she points out that she's concerned about all the aforementioned issues, he says "well, all those things will be resolved after you marry me"....besides, don't you think I have a lot of potential?

If that really great girl was your daughter, what would you advise her to do?

But, Silver, I thought she went on and married you anyway... :lol: Couldn't resist.:jig: having fun, no?

As I watch all this conference BS trickle down to the lowly and footballess Big West, and I read posters on the very, very lowly Big West message board make the statement that the conference must keep up with the Jones', I begin to think that this entire thing is a bubble that's going to burst hellaciously on all but the biggest powerhouse programs. I just don't think there is enough television viewership to slice the pie among 120 schools, but all 120 are going to scurry around, throwing money at conferences, trying to get their little dollop of meringue.

When I look at what it takes to be a Texas or LSU, the money, the corruption, the professional rosters, and the lengths they'll go to to protect all of that, I have to admit that there are times I'm perfectly happy to be lil' ole' UNT playing BFE UL Monroe in our beautiful new stadium sitting on our beautiful new tailgate grounds.

• Upvote 4

After watching what is happening at Penn State...at Penn State with Joe Paterno...I'm going to be happy with North Texas as long as we're clean.

I'm going to be happy with North Texas as long as we are not...

...making excuses for barfighting dopesmokers, like they do at Texas...

...making excuses for players being paid for jobs they didn't work, like they do at OU...

...making excuses for players being wined, dined, and 69'd by boosters, like they do at Miami...

...making excuses for players and their family being given cars and condos, like they do at Southern Cal...

...making excuses for paying players' parents to go to their school, like they do at Auburn...

...making excuses for paying off recruiting services to sway players to sign at their school, like they do at Oregon...

...making excuses for buying players cars and paying for their insurance as well, like they do at Boise State...

...making excuses for players' selling their uniforms and helmets, like they do at Ohio State...

...making excuses for coaches not reporting child molestation, like they do at Penn State...

These are just examples I can think of off the top of my head. I know North Carolina is also under investigation for something. Clemson was this summer or still is.... It all starts to run together.

I'm tired of bitching. After reading the court documents related to the Penn State mess, I'm sick. I'm sick at college athletics at the highest level being given an excuse to misbehave.

I joke around here alot. I complain alot. But, reading about an assistant coach walking in on a coach raping a 10-year old boy in a shower, then thinking just telling the head coach would be enough...and, then, that head coaching thinking just telling the athletic director would be enough...and, then, the AD thinking just telling his superiors would be enough....

Are you f*cking kidding me? And, Joe Paterno threw Barry Switzer and Jackie Sherrill under the bus? He's as crooked as they ever were. And, in my eyes, worse.

I can't take it mentally. If we never win another game, I'm fine with it. If we never get into another conference, I'm fine with it.

You want to know what makes me proud? The University of North Texas has never committed an NCAA infraction. If that means we don't attract "the best" talent or "the best" coaches...to hell with it. We should want no part of it.

When you're a man, you act like a man. And, a man doesn't sit by and let children - even children not his own - be abused. I don't care who the f*ck you are (Paterno), where the f*ck you are (Penn State), or what the f*ck you think the consequences might be (McQueary).

I've got two kids and I swear by God if I ever saw what Mike McQuery saw Jerry Sandusky doing that day to that boy, Jerry Sandusky would not be living today. I can't for the life of me understand how so many grown men could live with that knowledge for nine years until forced to admit they saw it or knew it.

You'll never see me bitch about North Texas again as long as we stay clean. Honor means more than what amounts to winning and glory in FBS football these days. We have more honor than every school out there. Winning clean will mean something if we ever do it.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

After watching what is happening at Penn State...at Penn State with Joe Paterno...I'm going to be happy with North Texas as long as we're clean.

...making excuses for players being paid for jobs they didn't work, like they do at OU...

...making excuses for players being wined, dined, and 69'd by boosters, like they do at Miami...

...making excuses for players and their family being given cars and condos, like they do at Southern Cal...

...making excuses for paying players' parents to go to their school, like they do at Auburn...

...making excuses for paying off recruiting services to sway players to sign at their school, like they do at Oregon...

...making excuses for buying players cars and paying for their insurance as well, like they do at Boise State...

...making excuses for players' selling their uniforms and helmets, like they do at Ohio State...

...making excuses for coaches not reporting child molestation, like they do at Penn State...

These are just examples I can think of off the top of my head. I know North Carolina is also under investigation for something. Clemson was this summer or still is.... It all starts to run together.

I'm tired of bitching. After reading the court documents related to the Penn State mess, I'm sick. I'm sick at college athletics at the highest level being given an excuse to misbehave.

I joke around here alot. I complain alot. But, reading about an assistant coach walking in on a coach raping a 10-year old boy in a shower, then thinking just telling the head coach would be enough...and, then, that head coaching thinking just telling the athletic director would be enough...and, then, the AD thinking just telling his superiors would be enough....

Are you f*cking kidding me? And, Joe Paterno threw Barry Switzer and Jackie Sherrill under the bus? He's as crooked as they ever were. And, in my eyes, worse.

I can't take it mentally. If we never win another game, I'm fine with it. If we never get into another conference, I'm fine with it.

You want to know what makes me proud? The University of North Texas has never committed an NCAA infraction. If that means we don't attract "the best" talent or "the best" coaches...to hell with it. We should want no part of it.

When you're a man, you act like a man. And, a man doesn't sit by and let children - even children not his own - be abused. I don't care who the f*ck you are (Paterno), where the f*ck you are (Penn State), or what the f*ck you think the consequences might be (McQueary).

I've got two kids and I swear by God if I ever saw what Mike McQuery saw Jerry Sandusky doing that day to that boy, Jerry Sandusky would not be living today. I can't for the life of me understand how so many grown men could live with that knowledge for nine years until forced to admit they saw it or knew it.

You'll never see me bitch about North Texas again as long as we stay clean. Honor means more than what amounts to winning and glory in FBS football these days. We have more honor than every school out there. Winning clean will mean something if we ever do it.

There's a lot to be said about keeping a clean program, whatever the win loss record shows. In the grand scheme of things, this is a sport that teaches character and value. Do we want a quality product? Absolutely. We want wins and championships. However, these kids are being returned to society after football is done with them. We want them to compete, win, but know how to do it the right way. I have a bit of a problem with this post getting a minus 1, primarily because are we so jaded as a win at all cost society that we forget that this is only a game? You look at Penn State, and you have to wonder, is decent football worth a person's soul? Apparently, in Joe Paterno's eyes, it is. In many big time programs, it is. I would rather get to where we want to be clean, and if that takes longer than what we want, so be it. I'm okay with that. In my mind it'd be worth it to win and send these kids off to society as men.

• Upvote 1

You've had some gems this fall, but this is hands down your best post. Ever. I agree with you 1000%.

Good topic.

My first thoughts were that, in all honesty, my support of UNT athletics would almost certainly decline if we stay in the Belt. Staying in the SBC means our leadership failed. I can accept a QB who fails to make a play in the 4th Quarter or a point guard who fails on a FT attempt. I can't accept a AD or President who fails to sell our wonderful university. There are no legitimate excuses left to stay in the Sun Belt.

My second thoughts, after reading some of the posts above, is that of course I will continue to support UNT athletics. I won't be happy - but I'll still support the Mean Green.

God bless Texas!