Musical chairs

meangreenbob

That fact that UNT is seldom if at all mentioned in any realignment scenarios whether on other forums or in various newspapers around the nation is cause for concern. It is as if we are nonexistent.

We may very well have the nicest stadium at the D1AA level.

Oh well. Life isn't fair.

That was the risk in buidling the new stadium. It may have saved the program, but it may not have insured us to be at FBS in the years to come.

I would be interested to see what the folks on gmg.com think if we did get dropped back to the equivalent of i-aa. Would you still come to games that involved us playing Texas State, like we used to do as SLC mates in the 80s and 90s? Back then, we probably averaged between 8k to 12k per year, I would guess. Would it be better now that we play at Apogee? Could you still support the Mean Green the way you do now if we dropped back down? Those are pretty tough questions to answer.

• Downvote 1

That was the risk in buidling the new stadium. It may have saved the program, but it may not have insured us to be at FBS in the years to come.

I would be interested to see what the folks on gmg.com think if we did get dropped back to the equivalent of i-aa. Would you still come to games that involved us playing Texas State, like we used to do as SLC mates in the 80s and 90s? Back then, we probably averaged between 8k to 12k per year, I would guess. Would it be better now that we play at Apogee? Could you still support the Mean Green the way you do now if we dropped back down? Those are pretty tough questions to answer.

I'll be at games no matter what...we could be playing Mcmurry for all I care...we are not dropping down though.

• Upvote 2

That fact that UNT is seldom if at all mentioned in any realignment scenarios whether on other forums or in various newspapers around the nation is cause for concern. It is as if we are nonexistent.

I wouldn't put much stock in what is written in forums or newspapers concerning UNT and realignment. We're more in the category of schools that benefit from the trickle down affect. I think most of our realignment talk is behind the scenes type stuff which is all that really matters. And I have confidence in R.V. and President Rawlins with their connections that we will not be left out in the cold.

If we do stay in the Sun Belt, I just hope with everything in me that they add UTSA and Texas State. I think inviting them to join us would do more for us than keeping them down. We NEED Texas schools in our conference. Having this as an SBC west division actually looks really good to me...and other than the "prestige" factor of conference USA, I would rather have these state schools.

North Texas

Texas State

UTSA

Arkansas State

ULM

ULL

This would almost surely kill the WAC.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The folks that make decisions are not message board posters and bloggers.

You are correct. No need to get overly worried or angry about what might or might not happen. I still think we're in excellent shape to move to CUSA. I would be more surprised if we didn't move up than if we did at this point.

We could be invited to CUSA tomorrow, two weeks from now, six months from now ... who knows? Just be patient and just because we aren't being mentioned in every article doesn't mean we aren't going to be picked.

The folks that make decisions are not message board posters and bloggers.

Yep, and all of those foolish dingbats who questioned TD when he brought in all of his high school coaching buddies to run a D1A program his first year should be shot. No one should ever question authority, because they are the authority, and nothing can be done about it. The right thing to do is to quietly sit back and passively let the "smart people" run the show, because they are smarter and more ethical than the rest of us and never make mistakes. This is the philosophy which made our country great.

• Upvote 2

I'll be at games no matter what...we could be playing Mcmurry for all I care...we are not dropping down though.

For what its worth, I don't think we will drop down either. But, if that situation did play out, I do wonder what it would like around Apogee on gameday. Thanks for answering the question!!

Edited by untjim1995

I have literally heard, read, or seen zero evidence that even suggests that we're going to D1AA... Our facilities and media market keep us from that status. We could loose nearly every game every year for the next 5 years before it come into question I think.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why in the world when NT has their best chance ever of moving up in the football food chain, do we have fans worried about falling out of fb football, totally crazy? There are no guarantees that NT will move up, but why in the world would anyone think that NT is moving down. Biggest budget and best facilities in NT history and we have fans lamenting our faith because some message board genius doesn't include NT in their realignment scenario.

We have just witnessed two local teams move up to AQ status, one who is only recently gotten any traction in their program. Again, anything can happen but I can't think of any better candidate for either MWC or CUSA than NT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Too busy to read through all the posts to see if this point has been made...

But all of the realignment talk has been focused on conferences we didn't have a prayer of getting in to.

Now realignment talk is starting to focus on CUSA, and I've already seen some suggestions on message boards that we would be a good candidate. Wait until CUSA actually announces they are looking to backfill, which won't come until SMU and Houston officially leave.

I have literally heard, read, or seen zero evidence that even suggests that we're going to D1AA... Our facilities and media market keep us from that status. We could loose nearly every game every year for the next 5 years before it come into question I think.

But what if we started losing games?

• Upvote 2

Why in the world when NT has their best chance ever of moving up in the football food chain, do we have fans worried about falling out of fb football, totally crazy? There are no guarantees that NT will move up, but why in the world would anyone think that NT is moving down. Biggest budget and best facilities in NT history and we have fans lamenting our faith because some message board genius doesn't include NT in their realignment scenario.

We have just witnessed two local teams move up to AQ status, one who is only recently gotten any traction in their program. Again, anything can happen but I can't think of any better candidate for either MWC or CUSA than NT.

Good Grief, where did anyone on this thread mention anything about "falling out fb football?" Maybe I missed it.

As for implying that we might end up in D1AA, if you aren't playing in an AQ league after this all settles down you are essentially playing in the lower class. Call it what you want, I just chose to call it D1AA football. If calling it D1A football makes you feel better then call it D1A. The fact remains that the door is going to close shut after this shake up and those left out will never be able to play for a national title at the "highest level." Not that the system is fair now.

And yes the two schools to our immediate south will use that very fact against us when it comes to recruiting. SMU will haul in upwards of 10,000,000 a year in TV money being in the BE as compared to about 1.5 million with CUSA. Think UNT can compete against that money and exposure in our own back yard. Nope. TCU and the B12? Nope.

Better hope RV and Dr.Rawlings know something we don't because this will be disastrous for UNT. Think we don't get our fair share of local sports time now? You just wait!

Fire away!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Good Grief, where did anyone on this thread mention anything about "falling out fb football?" Maybe I missed it.

As for implying that we might end up in D1AA, if you aren't playing in an AQ league after this all settles down you are essentially playing in the lower class. Call it what you want, I just chose to call it D1AA football. If calling it D1A football makes you feel better then call it D1A. The fact remains that the door is going to close shut after this shake up and those left out will never be able to play for a national title at the "highest level." Not that the system is fair now.

And yes the two schools to our immediate south will use that very fact against us when it comes to recruiting. SMU will haul in upwards of 10,000,000 a year in TV money being in the BE as compared to about 1.5 million with CUSA. Think UNT can compete against that money and exposure in our own back yard. Nope. TCU and the B12? Nope.

Better hope RV and Dr.Rawlings know something we don't because this will be disastrous for UNT. Think we don't get our fair share of local sports time now? You just wait!

Fire away!

Jeez, when you mentioned D1aa, I kind of thought that you were referring to fc competition not some incomprehensible analogy to lower level fb football. Now, you have elaborated that you mean that all is lost because NT is not in an AQ conference even though NT never had a change of that.

NT is in the lowest conference of any Texas fb school excluding UTSA and TSSM who are not playing fb division yet. The worst that can happen is that we would be exactly the same place NT is now in the Belt. If NT moves up to CUSA at least NT would be on par with UTEP and Rice. Apparently you are not paying attention if you think NT is currently recruiting against TCU and SMU.

Fire away!

Alright, Im confused. I was under the impression being in a non-aq league was and has always been the lower class?

Please explain how the word "never" seemed appropriate to you? How many times have conference shake ups takin place in the past? What makes this one so unique?

Fire away!

RV and Dr. Rawlings know a lot of stuff we don't know. But more importantly they know a lot of important people around the country.

Don't worry too much. The more conference shakeups and team moves, the better for UNT, IMO. Like an earlier poster stated, the dominoes are just starting to fall with the big AQ conferences. Now that they've trickled down into the mid-major area, we should see lots of movement on that level. Things are just getting started...

RV and Dr. Rawlings know a lot of stuff we don't know. But more importantly they know a lot of important people around the country.

It is my understanding that our president, ie, Dr. Lane Rawlins was actually one of the pioneers who helped in the forming of CUSA back in the day. I think I heard that Chuck Neinas even played a part in it, too.

If we don't get in this round, I believe there will be another round for UNT; but this one would be so much nicer. In my heart of hearts, though, I'd have to have someone explain to me why any non AQ conference would not be interested in the North Texas Metroplex as part of their conference TV package.

Redundancy all over again, but 1 or 2 CUSA schools when they were invited into their league were in multi/multi-year football season losing streaks--longer than ours in fact.

GMG!

Fire away!

And your point?

Fire away!

If you think the champion of the new Big East will ever sniff a national championship game then you are drunk.