And This Is Why We Need Better Results At North Texas

PlummMeanGreen

Not For The Weak or Feint of Heart To Read:

"UNT has a 51.7% winning percentage in school history, but since Hall of Fame Coach Hayden Fry left after the 1978 season, UNT's winning percentage has trended downward. From 1978 until 2005, UNT had a 41.9% winning percentage. From 1991 to 2005, the Mean Green had a 39% winning percentage." Source: Wikepedia

Plummerpedia: We know what has happened between 2006 - 2010.

And 2011? We could still go to a freakin' bowl game for heaven's sake! Doesn't that just make you want to slap yo' mama? (An old Texas phrase not to be taken literally, of course)

When You Have More Years Behind Ya' Than In Front ....Ya' Tend To Retrospectively Look Back:

This is why some of us Old Gun Alums who sometimes live in the past long for trends that (simply enough) trend back to being...........upward. Some of you love to talk about the glory days of "losing close games to Texas or whoever" but that is not going to cut it in today's NCAA world of "what have ya' done for us lately." Some of you only know losing Mean Green football and as of late, all of us know losing Mean Green football. (Guess that is why North Texas hired a former major conference HFC from Iowa State--one who went into an impossible Big 12 program and came out with 5 bowl games & a few wins over the Iowa Hawkeyes, too. We need him to duplicate that success in Denton in the worst of ways.

4 bowl games last decade as an unranked SBC football champion was nice, got us a lot of attention when we needed it, but the SBC was a brand new league of upstarts many of whom just up from a lower NCAA division. North Texas had had more scholarships a few years before the SBC opened for business and a head start over some of the SBC upstarts because of that.

Upstart? You know, like UTSA who in one year has schooled the City of Denton on what it means to support the local football team rather than BS'ing our local college officials about how they "always support the other school, ie, TWU in our case" and that to keep from supporting (buy a football ticket?) to the only public university in Denton that has an NCAA college football team. The best MG fans from Denton who do show are the best of the best of whom many I count as friends yet they are as frustrated with their fellow Denton-ites not supporting a MG football team as any of us who no longer live in Denton and are now outsiders. San Antonio has proven to all how to do it.

We love our alma mater for many various reasons, but in the football department we have to do better than the Mean Joe Greene or Hayden Fry era's now. Fry is still the barometer for many on this board because of the feeling that most any game we went into with him as HFC, we always felt we had a chance to WIN the gol' darned football game; not just get close. (Of course, Fry had his share of shellackings at the hands of those we at the time were very unmanned against. Coach Dan McCarney when many of us close our eyes has many alums thinking about his own personal hero whose framed picture is in his Athletic Center's office over-looking Apogee Stadium. We want Coach Mac to do better than Fry and in today's NCAA he almost has to.

THE GOOD NEWS IS (and there is plenty I will not even list now):

North Texas has as much or more to bring to "ANY" league, ie, AQ or non AQ conference's table as some getting in with much less upside than North Texas and even some with less "real butts in seats" attendance numbers truth be known.

Still a (seemed) problem at North Texas and from all appearances is we don't have a clue in how to politic with the right people in those better conferences we'd like an affiliation with some on campus most likely thinking Apogee Stadium is going to magically have them crawling to us (which it will not).

We soon found out what our last few decades of "trending downward" programs affect had with the Apogee Stadium honeymoon, now didnt' we? Unfairly for us, though, we get hammered for attendance but some CUSA schools brag about how they have not had "less then 16,000 average attendance in years (which means they were, too, at one time sucking hind teat in the attendance department with less than.........16K per home game .

We of North Texas better by gosh hope that Lane Rawlin's contacts from his past schools where he served as president can get our feet in the door of some conference out there that will upgrade us top to bottom and across the board. We can't have another 15-25 years of what we've had the last 15-25 years because if that happens (again) Apogee Stadium will make one helluva' intramural football and soccer field for both men and women's club sports.

If you're standing still in today's NCAA, then most likely you are trending backwards & running in motion getting nowhere fast.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Heh. There's a big display of North Texas football history in the Willis Library right now. In that display, there is a HUGE, glaring omission of these four years that seemingly never, ever happened.

Similar to the video they play at Apogee that shows the transition from old stadium to new stadium. No clips of UNT wearing their SLC uniforms.

Be 61 next month...I do tend to ramble but am getting to that age to where I have an excuse to do so, but every once in while even a blind hog finds an acorn. I will Cliff Note the opening epistle to one statement:

If you're standing still in today's NCAA, then most likely you are trending backwards & running in motion getting nowhere fast.

IMO, North Texas need some outside friends to help us get what we want in this re-alignment. I hope we have them. God I hope we have them.

GMG!

• Upvote 2

Be 61 next month...I do tend to ramble but am getting to that age to where I have an excuse to do so, but every once in while even a blind hog finds an acorn. I will Cliff Note the opening epistle to one statement:

IMO, North Texas need some outside friends to help us get what we want in this re-alignment. I hope we have them. God I hope we have them.

GMG!

To be honest... I read all of this post. I read maybe 2 sentences of the first post.

Congrats on your upcoming birthday though!

Pretty good actually. Today was their lowest I think with just over 25,000. It's sad to say but all of SA seems to be behind them, and with the NBA not happening there isn't much competition down here.

Slowly headed down, and will probably be about a 17k to 20k average next year.

Newness wears off real quick with losing (as does oldness).

Slowly headed down, and will probably be about a 17k to 20k average next year.

Newness wears off real quick with losing (as does oldness).

Completely agree, the buzz seems to be fading. UTSA also has a ton of promotional things going on right now too. Example: Buy a large pizza and get 2 free tickets, buy a combo meal and get a free ticket, etc.

The one thing I hate though is going into an Academy or Dicks and seeing racks and shelves stocked with UT, A&M and UTSA apperal throughout. I remember in Denton I'd have to search for UNT gear in off campus venues.