Feel a little better

emmitt01

And it's hard to feel bad about someone hanging 70+ points on Rice.

Yep, Rice with a lesser QB hung 77 on UNT several years ago. I have good friend who's grandfather was the team Doctor for the Rice FB team back in the day. My friends family would always watch the Rice games from the press box level and I was invited to that game verses Rice. The food was great, but the game was a real bummer and I'd been drinking the Green Kool-aid. Needless to say the game was humiliating experience. Now I don't talk to much smack about UNT FB. UNT BB is a different story, but I'm going to tone that down a bit.

Go Mean Green!!!

Yep, Rice with a lesser QB hung 77 on UNT several years ago. I have good friend who's grandfather was the team Doctor for the Rice FB team back in the day. My friends family would always watch the Rice games from the press box level and I was invited to that game verses Rice. The food was great, but the game was a real bummer and I'd been drinking the Green Kool-aid. Needless to say the game was humiliating experience. Now I don't talk to much smack about UNT FB. UNT BB is a different story, but I'm going to tone that down a bit.

Go Mean Green!!!

I was there as well. I even put together several of my alumni friends in the area and a few coworkers to tailgate and watch the game. Sometimes I have flashbacks and crawl into the fetal position.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 1

Go Mean Green!!!

Worst game of my UNT college life. I was so excited to have our football team in town. And then... oh the horror.

That Rice game was the low point for us as an FBS program. If we lose 79-10 to Oklahoma, well they are ranked in the top 5 and we just made lots of $$$$--it is mostly expected. The Rice game could have been 105-20 if Rice had wanted to that day. That day told me, just like the Tulsa loss at home (54-2) that the current head coach really wasn't going to be the guy for the future. When we lost to Tulsa that bad, you knew that our SBC success was just masking bigger problems. In the end, Dickey just couldn't survive. After that Rice loss, everyone realized that we were just not going to be competitive with ANYONE on our non-AQ level.

That's why I give McCarney so much leeway with this mess. He is literally having to try and change all of this as fast as possible: an apathetic culture, losing mindsets for the team, and gameplans for a thin team, while also recruiting new guys that will fit in here. We may not have been the worst FBS program in the country when Coach Mac took us over, but the number of teams that have been worse than us as a program over the last 6 years are very few. This is a true reclamation project.