Whether Non AQ's (or AQ's) Like It or Not...Top 10 TV Mkts..

PlummMeanGreen

Check out the 3 schools located in the #5 ranked TV market in link below for GMG.com members and many of you outsiders from other schools who visit (or lurk) this forum regularly to see what's going on here; and at times, even click in a few red numbers, too (don't disappoint me now, especially you, Hogdog):rolleyes:

It is what it is in Denton, Texas, America....North Texas has nothing to hide or conceal in any form or fashion. Obviously, we are not Notre Dame, but we are also not some dreg of NCAA FBS society with 2'nd rate on campus facilities located in some low ranked U.S. TV market, either.

I think some league will still want its teams to visit the North Texas Metroplex every other year in due time. To the first who calls (CUSA or MWC) comes the spoils (or for their respective TV conference packages an advertiser's gold mine) plus.......with a large public Texas university with an across the board constituency to deliver good Nielsen ratings as UNT has proven in the past).

Here Is That Link: http://en.wikipedia....ollege_football

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Our own leg in the DFW media market just doesn't hold up too much water. Whoever picks us knows they will be second fiddle to the Longhorn fans in the area.

If anything, they want a foothold in the North Texas area, but we need to count on other factors (wins, facilities) to carry us over the top of consideration.

Our own leg in the DFW media market just doesn't hold up too much water. Whoever picks us knows they will be second fiddle to the Longhorn fans in the area.

If anything, they want a foothold in the North Texas area, but we need to count on other factors (wins, facilities) to carry us over the top of consideration.

For the most part, greenminer, I agree with you.

Yet when the link below shows that the North Texas/DFW Metroplex with its (right at) 7,000,000 citizens is (as a 5 county metro area) larger than 40 other states alone, I agree with you that some conference will definitely want a foothold in this area.

http://en.wikipedia....s_by_population

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

While we all agree that having even a small percentage means something when you have so "big of a pot", I don't know how much weight that carries. Some of the BCS biggest cash cows are sitting pretty in media markets ranked 90 - 200.

LSU

Penn State

Arkansas

Florida State

Oregon

Oregon State

Auburn

Kansas State

Missouri

Texas Tech

Florida

Purdue

While we all agree that having even a small percentage means something when you have so "big of a pot", I don't know how much weight that carries. Some of the BCS biggest cash cows are sitting pretty in media markets ranked 90 - 200.

LSU

Penn State

Arkansas

Florida State

Oregon

Oregon State

Auburn

Kansas State

Missouri

Texas Tech

Florida

Purdue

I would think that alumni numbers have a lot to do with it too. You can be in the largest TV market but if you only have 50 people graduating every year it's going to be tougher to build a following of loyal fans. Alumni are more likely to support a winning program no matter where they move.

The likes of the schools have thousands of alumni all over the country who faithfully watch games on TV. That's one of the major reasons the national broadcasting companies want them.

I think North Texas is well positioned because we have a large alumni and student population to tap in to as well as a top #5 media market.

String some winning seasons together for people to latch on to and this thing could explode.

GO MEAN GREEN!!

LSU

Penn State

Arkansas

Florida State

Oregon

Oregon State

Auburn

Kansas State

Missouri

Texas Tech

Florida

Purdue

Of course all the above all well established programs from long time established conferences; at least the latter for the moment and that moment can change...in the next 5 minutes.:lol:

I probably should have been more specific (which I was not) that I was talking about non AQ schools in good TV markets who would be prime for (present) non AQ conferences and that is where I believe North Texas fares well in all this, but who the heck knows in this topsy-turvy world of today's NCAA. I mean look at a non-researched on their attendance school who is getting another free ride in all this? (I'll stop there).:D

Here Is The Link That Shows North Texas Very Prominently For

A Non AQ School: http://en.wikipedia....ollege_football

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The markets themselves are a bit misleading. Yes, TCU, SMU, UNT make up the DFW market, but match these three up on TV against Texas or A&M on a Dallas TV station and it is no contest. the Longhorns beat all three teams combined.

That's the point that makes our media market selling point hard to sell. We have to compete with UT and A&M.