Odoh

Cooley

Had an opportunity to watch Odoh tonight at UTA’s Texas Hall where Hill JC scrimmaged Tyler Junior College.

I think everyone will be pleased with this signing! Not a finished product but someone who can step in and help right away at a position of need. (2012-2013)

Right at 6-9 / 6-10 and very athletic. Like most foreigners, does not appear that he has played the game that long but enough to help. Left handed shot blocker/rebounder. Runs the floor extremely well for his size. Slim body but very muscular. (Arms and legs) Very durable as he played most of the fast paced game.

Hustles on both end of the court and appears to be very coachable. Free throw needs work but has a nice looking stroke to improve. Had difficulty getting into position to receive the ball down low but has a quick move to the bucket to kiss it off the glass or dunk. Perfect fit, in my opinion, with the other guys for 2012.

Not Tyson Chandler but a very capable Brendan Haywood.

• Upvote 1

Call me wrong if I am, but I think all JJ wants is a big man that can run the floor with the rest of'm and clog the lanes on the defensive end.

I mean, are we really needing points out of this guy/position?

In a perfect world senerio, we need someone to play post. Mitchell is more than capable if that is where they want to play him, and then you just need to add another big to defend, rebound, and run the floor (of course, sionce this is the perfect world scenerio, that would leave no offensive player down low if Mitchell got hurt).

It would be nice to add another big with an offensive game, but of course every school in the Belt is saying that right now.

Great to hear. Sounds like the kind of player we need for defense, rebounding, and shot blocking to help take us deep into the tourney against the big boys. A budding Hakeem Junior? Sounds like he has some of the traits Olajuwon had when he first got off the plane in Houston. Guess it doesn't hurt to dream of another Dream.

I like! let's get him signed and then let's play some Mean green BB! Glad to see the fact that a big hole in next year's team may have just been filled. JJ is really doing a great job getting these kids to look at and sign with UNT. UNT seems to be on the verge of being a "place to be" for many years to come. GREAT STUFF!

Had an opportunity to watch Odoh tonight at UTA's Texas Hall where Hill JC scrimmaged Tyler Junior College.

I think everyone will be pleased with this signing! Not a finished product but someone who can step in and help right away at a position of need. (2012-2013)

Right at 6-9 / 6-10 and very athletic. Like most foreigners, does not appear that he has played the game that long but enough to help. Left handed shot blocker/rebounder. Runs the floor extremely well for his size. Slim body but very muscular. (Arms and legs) Very durable as he played most of the fast paced game.

Hustles on both end of the court and appears to be very coachable. Free throw needs work but has a nice looking stroke to improve. Had difficulty getting into position to receive the ball down low but has a quick move to the bucket to kiss it off the glass or dunk. Perfect fit, in my opinion, with the other guys for 2012.

First off going to see a scrimmage at UTA makes you a basketball nut, but thanks. Looking forward to a real big man. I'm trying to think of the last true 5 we had. Maybe Adam Smith. Although he was undersized he liked to work the paint.

• 3 weeks later...

Against who? schedule shows they play tonight!

Playing in a Tournament.

They played Jacksonville last night & Ceder Valley right now

If you looked at the hill website it says saturday next to the Hill vs JKS game , but it's supposed to be for the games below.

Edited by NT03

Playing in a Tournament.

They played Jacksonville last night & Ceder Valley right now

If you looked at the hill website it says saturday next to the Hill vs JKS game , but it's supposed to be for the games below.

Thanks.:thumbsu:

Had an opportunity to watch Odoh tonight at UTA’s Texas Hall where Hill JC scrimmaged Tyler Junior College.

Video from last year at Lincoln Trail College. (#33) Currently playing with more confidence and ability at Hill. Not reflective in this video but this guy will be huge for us over the next 2 years.

I would be interested in the inside story behind how we landed Odoh. Vito said Southern Miss let him go because they needed another position? It's not like guys this tall and athletic grow on trees! Has to be more to the story. Sure am glad he'll be wearing green!

• 2 weeks later...

Through ten games:

12.3 ppg ... 12.6 rpg ... 4.1 blocks/game.

Yeah...

He's gonna be a good.

But tell me who he's played? Why are you all so satisfied with our prospects playing such weak ass schedules? I guess I just want more for my university than the rest if you.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Through ten games:

12.3 ppg ... 12.6 rpg ... 4.1 blocks/game.

Yeah...

He's gonna be a good.

John had 15 points, 15 rebounds & 3 blocks on a night where he was under the weather. Odoh is a mixed bag. If he gets any coaching from this staff, he will be a huge steal. If not, he will be a serviceable rotation guy.

Very athletic high energy guy that everyone will pull for. Still very raw.

Caught the second half of Odoh's game last night and was very impressed with his movement. He runs like a deer, works his butt off, and has great acceleration for a big man. He appeared to be sick and was coughing every chance he got, but still managed to come up with 6/6/3 in the 15 minutes or so that I saw him. Showed great elevation on a jam near the end of the game.

He does appear to be a little raw offensively, but I suspect that his offensive game will improve once he gets away from the hully gully JC scene and has the benefit of D1 coaching, He looked a little thinner than I thought, but you could tell that he is very strong, and looked like he may have a bit of a mean streak in him after a bad foul call.

His coach looked and acted like Bobby Knight on meth, and at one time chided Odoh for not blocking out by screaming out something like "you block out like that and you call yourself a big North Texas signee?" All and all I think he's going to be a great addition. We're going to have one Hell of an intimidating shot blocking front line next year with Odoh standing next to Mitchell.

• Upvote 5