Tommy Tuberville comments on Realignment

Harry

“With Missouri leaving, I don’t think … I hate to lose them, but it’s not like a Texas team. It’s not like a team from this state. We hate to lose that TV market, but now we go to the Pittsburgh, West Virginia area and we’ll have a TV market there.”

What teams would he go after to get to 12 teams?

“Travel destinations for our fans. A lot of people would think I’m crazy, but I would go after San Diego State and I’d go after Tulane. They both have great stadiums. Both would grow immensely if they went to a conference like this. I know right now, one, San Diego State is doing pretty good. Tulane is not, but they’ve got the Superdome, they’ve got New Orleans for people to go in and out. I think you look at things like that and TV markets.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4674515/cfi-west-virginia-not-tubervilles-first-choice

Tuberville: "West Virginia's going to be great. It's just the distance and travel is going to be different for everybody and just being able to get there and for fans to get in and out. But it's a great school a lot of tradition …"

OK, Coach T, for the rest of most of us Texans, tell us what those WVU traditions are?

And Coach T's coments on Tulane: " ...San Diego State is doing pretty good. Tulane is not, but they’ve got the Superdome, they’ve got New Orleans for people to go in and out. I think you look at things like that and TV markets.”

(Hey Coach T, Denton County has more population than the city of New Orleans and with a pretty damn large Texas public university located in said county, too).

Someone please tell me how the NCAA truly determines TV markets and how small private universities of whom most of the citizens of the cities they are located could not afford (nor their kids) become the stalwarts of their respective TV markets?

Does a school with an alumnus body of 100,000 of said TV market pull in less ratings than a school with 35-40,000 alums in the same area? What new math is the NCAA using to make the latter 35-40K alums "the school" that pulls in a TV market?

If Dallas Baptist U had football and were in the Big East would that bring in the DFW TV market, too?

I think the NCAA powers that be are loaded with ex football players who played too much football w/o their helmets on and it affected the math part of their brains is what I think.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Tuberville: "West Virginia's going to be great. It's just the distance and travel is going to be different for everybody and just being able to get there and for fans to get in and out. But it's a great school a lot of tradition …"

OK, Coach T, for the rest of most of us Texans, tell us what those WVU traditions are?

GMG!

Black lung?

• Upvote 2

Is this sarcasm? I don't think for a second that WVU is without its own traditions.

I can totally see a PlummMountaineer on their board going, "UNT in the Big East with tradition? Okay, Coach Mac, for the rest of us West Virginians, tell us what those UNT traditions are?"

My point isn't that we aren't without traditions; it's that how many outside Mean Green Nation know our traditions?

• Upvote 1

Is this sarcasm? I don't think for a second that WVU is without its own traditions.

I can totally see a PlummMountaineer on their board going, "UNT in the Big East with tradition? Okay, Coach Mac, for the rest of us West Virginians, tell us what those UNT traditions are?"

My point isn't that we aren't without traditions; it's that how many outside Mean Green Nation know our traditions?

More about Coach T and WVU rather than North Texas. All the assuming this and assuming that from other regions 1,000 miles away from DFW is what got smu in the big east because there was obviously no research or resume ' checking on a progarm with 2-3 winning seasons in 25 years is it now?

I've never even said we were AQ prime time ready because we are not (unless you go by some other unusual entrance standards the Big East has used to fill in their little cookie cutter conference with TV markets "they assume" any school located in said market is their goat ropin' son-of-a-gun TV drawing stalwart.

As I recall from the past on this board, when the subject of TV markets comes up it does seem to tweak one of your nerve-endings, greenminer.

Amazing how on these message boards there are so many schools of thought on a variety of subjects that some even might even disagree on from time to time w/o getting a tad all bent out of shape about it, either.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If I recall correctly, WVU is in the top fifteen or so schools in all time wins. They have plenty of tradition.

When I think of West Virginia I think of Loretta Lynn, Coal Miners Daughter, Sissy Spacek (who played Loretta Lynn) Tommy Lee Jones (who played the hubby) and one helluva bad disease that comes from coal mines. Sorry,I just don't think of WVU football.

What this is all about with me is the far flung nature of these AQ conferences. My 2 cents if allowed to express it is that the NCAA AQ presidents are trying their dead level best to fix something that flat out ain't broke.

I can hit the red button , too, C-O-U-R-T-L-A-N-D.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

When I think of West Virginia I think of Loretta Lynn, Coal Miners Daughter, Sissy Spacek (who played Loretta Lynn) Tommy Lee Jones (who played the hubby) and one helluva bad disease that comes from coal mines. Sorry,I just don't think of WVU football.

What this is all about with me is the far flung nature of these AQ conferences. My 2 cents if allowed to express it is that the NCAA AQ presidents are trying their dead level best to fix something that flat out ain't broke.

I can hit the red button , too, C-O-U-R-T-L-A-N-D.

Who said I gave any of your posts -1's? I already used mine up today on other people.

But as to your point about far flung leagues being insane, I agree. I guess we've been moving this way ever since the SEC expanded to 12 in the early 1990's though.

However, you are way off on WVU football. They've been good for a long, long time. Maybe they haven't won any National Titles (maybe they have...I'd have to get out the old AP/Coaches listings) - but I've seen them listed before near the top in all time wins.

It's kinda like in college basketball when you see a St Johns or WKU listed in the top 10-15 in all time wins. Maybe not "National Titles tradition", but a lot of tradition nonetheless.

Who said I gave any of your posts -1's? I already used mine up today on other people.

But as to your point about far flung leagues being insane, I agree. I guess we've been moving this way ever since the SEC expanded to 12 in the early 1990's though.

However, you are way off on WVU football. They've been good for a long, long time. Maybe they haven't won any National Titles (maybe they have...I'd have to get out the old AP/Coaches listings) - but I've seen them listed before near the top in all time wins.

It's kinda like in college basketball when you see a St Johns or WKU listed in the top 10-15 in all time wins. Maybe not "National Titles tradition", but a lot of tradition nonetheless.

Of course, I was just kidding. :rolleyes:

Hope all is well in (from "1941") "Horry'wood!" I just love that submarine scene with Slim Pickens and the Japanese.

Late..

• Upvote 1

My only real awareness of college football before Barry Alvarez and Brent Moss turned Wisconsin around is West Virginia playing Notre Dame in a bowl game for the national championship.

I was 8 years old, and I still remember seeing the West Virginia players sing their fight song on the broadcast.

23 years ago, playing for a national championship.

They made the Final Four 2 years ago, too. I'd make Courtland take a bullet for that tradition.

And Coach T's coments on Tulane: " ...San Diego State is doing pretty good. Tulane is not, but they’ve got the Superdome, they’ve got New Orleans for people to go in and out. I think you look at things like that and TV markets.”

(Hey Coach T, Denton County has more population than the city of New Orleans and with a pretty damn large Texas public university located in said county, too).

Are you really comparing Denton to New Orleans, Ive drinking enough mean green koolaid but seriously... For one the bars never close and you can play craps and blackjack, and a great travel destination for fans

• Upvote 1

Are you really comparing Denton to New Orleans, Ive drinking enough mean green koolaid but seriously... For one the bars never close and you can play craps and blackjack, and a great travel destination for fans

No, just their populations was all. I think last count NO's counted a very liberal approx. 400K inside their city limits.

OK, Here Is One Denton and NO's comparison: Denton's streets are mostly dry most the time whereas NO's Bourbon Street are wet 24/7 from being hosed down for all the vomit and urine people come to NO's to expell as they act in that city in a way they would not from the city of whence they came.

San Francisco and Honolulu are my 2 favorite destination U.S cities and I even lived in Honolulu at one time.

Tulane? Seems they may eventually be another private school that could get a pass to an AQ conference with their "slightly exagerated" :rolleyes: attendance counting of this a former SEC school that are as blatantly attrocious as another Methodist-sponsored school not foo far from Denton, Texas, America.

These NCAA AQ conference einsteins need to consult with some of us on GMG.com :blink: on which schools out there are truly being deceptive ie, faking it (and have for decades) compared to some schools in similar major metro areas whose upside is 50 to 1 better than some of the privates.

PAY US FOR OUR INFORMATION, PLEASE: Whadda' think? $100K for "OUR" GMG.com consortium consultant fee to give them a thoroughly researched & detailed infomation packet on which schools to pick........... plus a power point presentation would be all it took? We can do this and do it well. :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen