Greeks on the Hill (NT Daily Letter to the Editor)

Ibleedgreen

WOW! I figured GMG would be full of a bunch of people talking about how THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER and North Texas fans should be all polite, never curse, drink, yell at opposing punters, don't rush the field, and do proper "NORTH TEXAS" fans because there are kids around but also to show that UNT is a righteous and upstanding college like Oxford. Oh, and act like Nebraska. What a high aspiration we have. :thumbsd:

This forum... :lol:

Maybe my memory is a little hazy, but aren't you the one who bitched about rushing the field and started a 7 page thread about it? And then you bitch about the alumni side, so we invite you to come sit over there and help solve the problem, and now you want to complain about the "proper" North Texas chant which will get the alumni side making noise.

Please get some consistency.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

WOW! I figured GMG would be full of a bunch of people talking about how THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER and North Texas fans should be all polite, never curse, drink, yell at opposing punters, don't rush the field, and do proper "NORTH TEXAS" fans because there are kids around but also to show that UNT is a righteous and upstanding college like Oxford. Oh, and act like Nebraska. What a high aspiration we have. :thumbsd:

This forum... :lol:

You don't get along with people very well do you Ryan? Between the comments you put on here and the comments you posted on the NT Daily I am surprised that you don't use a better pseudonym. Just saying you might want to tone it down a notch.

As SUMG reminded me Saturday how drex back in the day let all the frats paint their logos into the concrete at Fouts and that area was where they sat. It was a good idea that worked.

Certainly, we cannot do that at Apogee but what about an investment of chairbacks for each frat (in their frat colors) which can be placed in the upper Student Section a few hours before the game whiich would be "their" spot for the game. Any other ideas?

Cool, nothing like making the frat boys feel more entitled than they already do.

Here's an idea: let's win some games and we won't have to worry about what the frat brats are doing when we play.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The Greeks will need to move, to make room for the English Club and Film Club. Oh and they don't drink or sleep on sofas ! As I'm sure u didn't as a student.

U can see organizations that r proud and put forth the time and effort to support the team and the school.

As always don't judge all by the action of a few. As I will respect n ur case! :thumbsd:

The 2012 txt msg championships r coming up

GLOBAL-TEXTING-CHAMPIONS-CROWNED-AT-LG-MOBILE-WORLDCUP-WORLD-CHAMPIONSHIP-2010-2011-500.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Here's the sad part- people wonder why Greeks don't want to go to the game? Look how they're treated. The campus, as a whole, bad mouths them, they are pidgeonholed, blamed for the societal woes of the Denton community, and because they're cut loose after killing themselves getting ready for homecoming, which speaking from experience, is a pain in the @$$, they become social pariahs. On top of that, when they do try to muster support for the athletic program, they usually are ignored, protested or mocked as just being privileged miscreants simply out to rage.

Can you blame the greeks for not wanting to be involved? This will PERMANENTLY be the downfall of the University of North Texas. We don't have enough brahs and she-brahs (yes, I'm from Cali) to counter the goofy hacky sack crowd that used to hang out at the tomato before they went branch davidian and burned it down. Diversity is great, but when it turns into what North Texas is with so much infighting that no one can get behind the athletic program, will, go watch PCU with Jeremy Piven, Jon Favreau and David Spade. You'll see what I'm getting at.

WE'RE NOT GONNA PROTEST!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe if they realized WHY they got the bad reputation and WHO was the cause, and did something about it, then the reputation would change. I'm an alum of an organization that used to care about its image. They were adamant about maintaining their image and promoting the university. If someone did something that was harmful to the image, they were disciplined, and the actions were corrected.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Why are we blaming the greeks about only 10k students are showing up? Do you really think that students are turned off by rowdy drinking and occasional profanity and deciding to not go to the stadium?

Turn off your naivety, brah.

Better yet, if your brother in law gets a speeding ticket, obviously, its your fault because you're affiliated with your brother in law.

Edited by BadKarma
  • Upvote 2

It is just amazing to me that some on here criticize the fraternities and sororities for tailgating, not coming into the games and drinking, yet the same people that are highly critical are also the one's bragging about yelling obscenities in the stands, wanting to buy beer in the stadium, etc... Take away the Greek organizations and you basically would have a Homecoming parade consisting of the band, cheerleaders, dancers and a bunch of cars with people riding in the back. Take away the Greek organizations and many alumni don't receive an invitation to come back to campus. I am an alumni of Sigma Chi, and I can tell you that we put countless hours into Homecoming and other campus events, participate in other organizations and are typically recruited by the university when attendance is needed. Greeks are also highly visible and come under increased scrutiny from the university concerning their conduct. We also have to maintain a certain GPA to remain active individually and as an organization.

I don't agree with the stereotyping of the members of the Greek organizations. Are their some that match this stereotype? Sure, but many do not. In fact, many of you that badmouth the Greeks would probably be surprised at the number of people you have met that were a part of a fraternity or sorority at one time. I didn't much care for the "music/artsy" types in college but I have an appreciation for what they do and the contributions they make to the university and to our game days. I'm just not cut out for those activities, but I can appreciate them and look past the stereotypes. I wish some on here would do that. I'm sorry if you have had a bad personal experience with a Greek organization, but I would welcome you to stop by and tailgate with me in the future and hopefully let me change your opinion.

• Upvote 5

It is just amazing to me that some on here criticize the fraternities and sororities for tailgating, not coming into the games and drinking, yet the same people that are highly critical are also the one's bragging about yelling obscenities in the stands, wanting to buy beer in the stadium, etc... Take away the Greek organizations and you basically would have a Homecoming parade consisting of the band, cheerleaders, dancers and a bunch of cars with people riding in the back. Take away the Greek organizations and many alumni don't receive an invitation to come back to campus. I am an alumni of Sigma Chi, and I can tell you that we put countless hours into Homecoming and other campus events, participate in other organizations and are typically recruited by the university when attendance is needed. Greeks are also highly visible and come under increased scrutiny from the university concerning their conduct. We also have to maintain a certain GPA to remain active individually and as an organization.

I don't agree with the stereotyping of the members of the Greek organizations. Are their some that match this stereotype? Sure, but many do not. In fact, many of you that badmouth the Greeks would probably be surprised at the number of people you have met that were a part of a fraternity or sorority at one time. I didn't much care for the "music/artsy" types in college but I have an appreciation for what they do and the contributions they make to the university and to our game days. I'm just not cut out for those activities, but I can appreciate them and look past the stereotypes. I wish some on here would do that. I'm sorry if you have had a bad personal experience with a Greek organization, but I would welcome you to stop by and tailgate with me in the future and hopefully let me change your opinion.

As I said before AMENgoodjob.gifgoodjob.gifgoodjob.gifgoodjob.gifgoodjob.gif.

It is just amazing to me that some on here criticize the fraternities and sororities for tailgating, not coming into the games and drinking, yet the same people that are highly critical are also the one's bragging about yelling obscenities in the stands, wanting to buy beer in the stadium, etc...[snip]...I'm sorry if you have had a bad personal experience with a Greek organization, but I would welcome you to stop by and tailgate with me in the future and hopefully let me change your opinion.

Best post I've ever seen you make, Lifer. So good, I went to +1 it, and found I already had done so.

With the notable exception of myself, a hopeless lifelong screwup, every member of my fraternity went on to successful professional careers (mostly in medicine and law), married great women, and are raising great children.

We took aimless children, taught them responsibility and teamwork, and turned them into men. That there may have been a game or two of beer pong with a coed involved is acknowledged, but it was always safe. Never a drunk driver, never over the line activities, and a very, very early and strongly indoctrinated education on liability and risk management.

• Upvote 1

Its just as much a part of college as football, education, and cheer leaders. Though I don't condone their behavior I even more so don't condone a NT Daily write up about it. At least they were at the game/stadium. I would bet that the majority of the NT Daily writers/readers never even thought about going to the game as they were probably the one's openly against the stadium fund. I will assure that a growing greek community will keep more students around campus on the weekends and keep them tied to their university than most other organizations. If you don't like to watch them have fun in college then walk the other way.

Here's the sad part- people wonder why Greeks don't want to go to the game? Look how they're treated.

How they're treated? Given the rise of fraternity row and sorority row right off campus in the years since I graduated in 1991, they've been treated pretty damn well in my book.

I don't think it's too much to ask that they draw the line at drunk instead of sloppy drunk and refrain from vomiting in sight of fans entering and exiting Apogee.