A Big Thank You To SoundManEric From The Mean Green Nation

FirefightnRick

Unfortunately I believe that Eric is wasting his efforts doing favors for the Talons Organization. They have displayed countless times how they do not appreciate favors that you alumni have done for them.

I don't like to state it, but they are going to trash that vehicle the same way that they have historically neglected the tug, the cannon, and the Model A.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Unfortunately I believe that Eric is wasting his efforts doing favors for the Talons Organization. They have displayed countless times how they do not appreciate favors that you alumni have done for them.

I don't like to state it, but they are going to trash that vehicle the same way that they have historically neglected the tug, the cannon, and the Model A.

I hate to say it, but I tend to agree with Adler on this. If it weren't for the Swartzes FFR, Rick's friend Alex, and Eric, our North Texas spirit icons would be total piles of crap.

I suggest that the Alumni association always have a former Talon as part of the official board of directors, and that fund raising projects be regularly scheduled (through the alumni association) to get funds to maintain our spirit icons.

I hate to say it, but I tend to agree with Adler on this. If it weren't for the Swartzes FFR, Rick's friend Alex, and Eric, our North Texas spirit icons would be total piles of crap.

I suggest that the Alumni association always have a former Talon as part of the official board of directors, and that fund raising projects be regularly scheduled (through the alumni association) to get funds to maintain our spirit icons.

You can't expect the Talons to do too much people. After all, the school only gives them $10,000 annually.

I've always thought it would be nice to come up with a semi permanent mounting location for the bell inside the stadium. Maybe a platform built on the opposite side of the players entrance from Boomer.

This, and the idea of having a former Talon on the NT Exes Board.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

This, and the idea of having a former alum on the NT Exes Board.

How can you be a "former Alum"? Every member of the UNT Alumni Assoc. Board (please stop calling it the Exes...it isn't funny and it isn't appropriate) is an alum of UNT.

I also know the Alumni Association is always looking for volunteers to help with projects and events. If anyone here would like to volunteer...believe me there is a lot of work to do and few volunteers (but tons of suggestions)please feel welcome to PM me with your contact info. I head up a new committee of the Alumni Board that is called the Alumni Ambassadors. The Ambassadors is made up of previous board members who have indicated a desire to stay involved with their university and others who would like to volunteer to help move UNT and the Alumni Association forward. So, if you would like to get involved, PM me. Lots of work to be done and we would welcome your help with open arms.

• Upvote 1

How can you be a "former Alum"? Every member of the UNT Alumni Assoc. Board (please stop calling it the Exes...it isn't funny and it isn't appropriate) is an alum of UNT.

I also know the Alumni Association is always looking for volunteers to help with projects and events. If anyone here would like to volunteer...believe me there is a lot of work to do and few volunteers (but tons of suggestions)please feel welcome to PM me with your contact info. I head up a new committee of the Alumni Board that is called the Alumni Ambassadors. The Ambassadors is made up of previous board members who have indicated a desire to stay involved with their university and others who would like to volunteer to help move UNT and the Alumni Association forward. So, if you would like to get involved, PM me. Lots of work to be done and we would welcome your help with open arms.

Sorry, obviously had a brain fart. I will correct. Should have read "Talon." The only problem with this idea is when the current, non-active members become alumni. What do we do then?

Edited by UNTLifer

We are fortunate to have Rick and Eric and some of the other folks who have MADE TIME (something I can't say I've always done) to go the extra mile for our University. Their efforts should not go over-looked.

I don't want to Bash the Talons and I won't - but the University/Athletic Department should make maintaining our traditions a Priority. When we DO have the shoestring budget we've had for years at UNT, the things that are donated, restored or fixed out of the goodness of someone's heart and their love for the University, they should be protected and the UNIVERSITY, not a student organization should be responsible and thus held accountable for their maintenance and condition.

Thanks to Rick, Boomer is an amazing piece that every UNT fan can take pride in, yet Rick is called upon over and over and over to fix it... not because it requires maintenance and repair from time to time as a result of proper use, but usually because someone has damaged something due to mis-use. Eric here has restored the bell - but how long will this hard work be a shining symbol of UNT without some sort of oversight.

...and don't get me started on the Model A. That's a piece of automotive history for starters, and without the ties it has to UNT, its allowed deterioration is criminal... but now combine that with the fact that it is a symbol of OUR SCHOOL and has been abused and is in shambles. Truly a shame.

I try not to complain much about our Administration and the AD, as they have brought our athletic programs to places many of us have only dreamed possible, particularly in the past few years - but this is a MAJOR failure of both the University Administration and by extension the Athletic Department, and I hope now that some of the BIG stuff has been taken care of, maybe we can finally focus on some details at UNT.

• Upvote 4