UNT-ULM coverage

Brett Vito

North Texas made a last-minute decision to move its homecoming game up two hours to avoid a time conflict with the Rangers’ game against the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series.

That decision seemed to pay off for UNT in a 38-21 win over Louisiana-Monroe at Apogee Stadium.

UNT drew a crowd of 17,815 for its homecoming game.

Hard to say if it was a pay off or not? Unless the numbers reported on MGS.com are off, the past 6 homecoming games prior to this season we have averaged an attendance of 17,650. So we finished right at our normal average the past 6 years.

In only two of those seasons did we have 2 wins prior to the homecoming game.

In three of those seasons we only had 1 win prior to the homecoming game.

In one of those seasons we were winless prior to the homecoming game.

Considering all the losing that happened prior to those games since 2005 I would say 17,650 is a hell of a decent average.

But what it proves the most is what I said all along, that changing the time was unecessary and wouldn't make that much difference, and that those who are invested in the Mean Green were going to attend Saturday's Homecoming game regardless of the time, just as they always do, especially those who are invested and must travel a good distance to get there.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

The time change hurt some fans and helped others. For me it allowed me to watch two teams that I care about. If I had been made to choose between watching the Rangers in the World Series or watch my Mean Green play La-Monroe I'm afraid I would have had to miss the Sun Belt game. I suspect a lot of fans would have made the same decision. So kudos to RV for making the move.

God bless Texas!

I was OK with the move as well. Just too many Ranger game watching parties and such. I think Homecoming games should be day games anyway. A bright Fall afternoon just adds to the overall atmosphere. As far as recent attendance numbers are concerned, seems like recent Homecomings were helped out by the Dodge frenzy which didn't really seem to completely fizzle out until '09. Also, I'm guessing that the numbers for DD's last two years were helped by the positive hangover from the N.O. Bowl run. Regardless, I was sure happy that I wasn't greeted by another FAU type crowd. That would've been ugly.

I saw a pretty good exodus after the 3rd quarter... then, I saw another one after the Herron TD. Then, a mass purge after Dunbar's run. I wonder if those were the folks that would have stayed home if the gametime stayed at 6:00. If so, GOOD CALL RV! Obviously, alot of those folks would have left early anyway "to beat the traffic", so I guess we'll never know...

• Upvote 1

Hard to say if it was a pay off or not? Unless the numbers reported on MGS.com are off, the past 6 homecoming games prior to this season we have averaged an attendance of 17,650. So we finished right at our normal average the past 6 years.

In only two of those seasons did we have 2 wins prior to the homecoming game.

In three of those seasons we only had 1 win prior to the homecoming game.

In one of those seasons we were winless prior to the homecoming game.

Considering all the losing that happened prior to those games since 2005 I would say 17,650 is a hell of a decent average.

But what it proves the most is what I said all along, that changing the time was unecessary and wouldn't make that much difference, and that those who are invested in the Mean Green were going to attend Saturday's Homecoming game regardless of the time, just as they always do, especially those who are invested and must travel a good distance to get there.

Rick

I know a group of six that sit near me in the club level - clearly they are invested in the Mean Green. They were NOT coming to the game at the original 6pm kickoff but did come due to the time change. Caught the game and then went to a bar to catch the last 7 innings or so of the Rangers.

I also met some people that drove up from East Texas. They weren't coming with the original time but changed plans with the earlier kick. They brought a tv and satellite for their tailgate. They came into the stadium and then back to their tailgate after the game for a new Rangers "tailgate" and watched the baseball game in Apogee parking lot.

While anecdotal I would say changing the time did help matters.

Edited by adman

I know a group of six that sit near me in the club level - clearly they are invested in the Mean Green. They were NOT coming to the game at the original 6pm kickoff but did come due to the time change. Caught the game and then went to a bar to catch the last 7 innings or so of the Rangers.

I also met some people that drove up from East Texas. They weren't coming with the original time but changed plans with the earlier kick. They brought a tv and satellite for their tailgate. They came into the stadium and then back to their tailgate after the game for a new Rangers "tailgate" and watched the baseball game in Apogee parking lot.

While anecdotal I would say changing the time did help matters.

There were 8 less in my section due to the time change. It probably balanced out as you pointed out. Just as it would have balanced out had the game remained at 6.

By the way, our Homecoming attendances the past six years have ranged from 23k to about 15k. Actually 14k and some change. So it wasn't like this program would have been devastated had this game this time around experienced a homecoming attendance towards the bottom end, which still would have been an increase over the FAU game?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1