Heckling behind the visitor bench.

KellenJemeyson

God, I hate our fan base sometimes. Seriously. I have never seen a more uptight group of out of touch "football fans". Why don't we golf clap when we score a TD? I bet you found it outrageous that our band played over their fight song and finished their chant.

If we don't have a typical FBS atmosphere, we won't have attendance. Guarantee you McCarney and Villareal like what WE do, and not what YOU do.

Out of curiosity are you one of the fans that does the "beep beep beep" sound when the opponent gets a penalty? If so can you please stop because it's college football not high school football.

There are two things I would like us to stop doing: 1) stop the beep beep beep sound on an opponent penalty, and 2) stop the bull sh*t chant when the ref makes a call we don't like.

All that said....do whatever it takes to win because winning feels nice.

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot

I suspect most of the support or lack of support for heckling is along generational lines but I'm sure there are exceptions.

Years ago, people justified the emphasis on sports in high schools and colleges as important in building character. Now, it seems the characters are the one building sports.

Is it OK for parents to heckle little kids on the soccer fields or little league? Must be because it happens all the time. Is it OK to applaud when an opposing player is injured on the field, also which is also happening on some campuses?

Where do you draw the line?

Then they shouldn't be playing the North Texas chant we do. They figured it out by the 3rd.

Welcome to the Mean Green Nation! ULM has been playing that same diddy for at least the past 10 years. I don't think that was composed by UNT. That's neat that there was enough respect for their band to think they organized reproducing someone else's music in the middle of a football game.

I suspect most of the support or lack of support for heckling is along generational lines but I'm sure there are exceptions.

Years ago, people justified the emphasis on sports in high schools and colleges as important in building character. Now, it seems the characters are the one building sports.

Is it OK for parents to heckle little kids on the soccer fields or little league? Must be because it happens all the time. Is it OK to applaud when an opposing player is injured on the field, also which is also happening on some campuses?

Where do you draw the line?

Easy solution - Understand the meaning of "class" and show it!

"Class" does not mean the students cannot heckle - or the old folks, either - just be creative, and do it in a "classy" manner.

Is graffiti classy? Surprisingly, it can be (as can heckling - the Rice University MOB has been creatively classy hecklers for years!).

As an examplle, one year the Mean Green played at the University of Kansas. Quite a few of us rode together on an Amtrak train to Lawrence, Kansas (had our own coach; Amtrak stopped to pick us up at Sanger).

After the game, as we waited for the train home to come through Lawrence, several of us killed time at a jazz joint in downtown Lawrence - Paul Gray's Jazz Place. The venue was obviously frequented by both KU students and professors.

The restrooms were covered in graffiti - but not the trashy graffiti one would expect in a restroom; there was none to be found; no phone numbers to call. But what was written on the various walls of the restrooms was profound, highly intellectual, very creative graffiti - but it was both classy and classic.

Hecklers - get creative - drop the mf'ing and all of the other sleazy language.

One poster said that he did not use the trashy language and yet was able to be an effective heckler and enjoyed doing so.

Another is very proud of his 50-yard line location because he can continously hurl f-bombs at the players, staff, and the female trainers. Classy!

Whatever you do reflects upon you and your university - but if you feel you are intellectually and creatively limited - and you think the only way you can be an effective heckler is by using trashy language.......

carry on.

• Upvote 5

"Class" does not mean the students cannot heckle - or the old folks, either - just be creative, and do it in a "classy" manner.

Is graffiti classy? Surprisingly, it can be (as can heckling - the Rice University MOB has been creatively classy hecklers for years!).

As an example, one year the Mean Green played at the University of Kansas. Quite a few of us rode together on an Amtrak train to Lawrence, Kansas (had our own coach; Amtrak stopped to pick us up at Sanger).

After the game, as we waited for the train home to come through Lawrence, several of us killed time at a jazz joint in downtown Lawrence - Paul Gray's Jazz Place. The venue was obviously frequented by both KU students and professors.

The restrooms were covered in graffiti - but not the trashy graffiti one would expect in a restroom; there was none to be found; no phone numbers to call. But what was written on the various walls of the restrooms was profound, highly intellectual, very creative graffiti - but it was both classy and classic.

One poster said that he did not use the trashy language and yet was able to be an effective heckler and enjoyed doing so.

Another is very proud of his 50-yard line location because he can continously hurl f-bombs at the players, staff, and the female trainers. Classy!

Whatever you do reflects upon you and your university - but if you feel you are intellectually and creatively limited - and you think the only way you can be an effective heckler is by using trashy language.......

carry on.

This folks...read it and then read it again. If you, for even one second, think it is OK to use foul language while heckling the opposing teams and fans, then you have a serious and I mean serious personal problem. Heckling is great and it's part of college football. Ever been to Stillwater? The students are even closer to the opposing team than at Apogee. They give the opposing team all they want in noise ans heckling, but they do not have a reputation for using foul language and going out of their way to heckle the opposing fans...just the team.

If you use foul language, I suggest you give it another thought. It reflects VERY poorly on you, your university and college sports in general. I cannot imagine that anyone would or could think they were helping by using foul language. It is in no way classy and, in fact, has low class written all over it.

Again...read the above post, think about it, and read it again. Then go out at the next home game and heckle to opposing team, not their fans, without the foul language. If you don't think it can be done, you are sadly sadly mistaken. In fact, the reality of i is that you are making a fool of yourself and UNT by using that foul language. GROW UP and get some class...then heckle the heck out of the opposing team...really, give them all you want and get 'em rattled!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

As an examplle, one year the Mean Green played at the University of Kansas. Quite a few of us rode together on an Amtrak train to Lawrence, Kansas (had our own coach; Amtrak stopped to pick us up at Sanger).

carry on.

This. Heckling can be intelligent and funny or dumb and classless. The Rice band does such an intelligent job of heckling the offending party can hardly get mad because it's done so well. I think of that as an example of good heckling.

Doing nothing but throwing foul language to the opposing team isn't heckling. To me, that's just trying to pick a fight with someone you know can't fight you. Pathetic.

I haven't sat in the student section in years so I guess I'm not sure what it sounds like now but I trust we can find ways to use Apogee to our advantage AND represent ourselves in a positive manner.

• Upvote 2

Tuck Fexas Arlington was a classic when the Mavs visited the Pit in the late 90's.

Drex remember the sign that we made for SFA?

Edited by GreenBat