Royce Hill

Harry

No current Mean Green football player has seen the field more than senior defensive back Royce Hill.

Hill – who tops the team in career starts with 38 – was voted a defensive co-captain by teammates earlier this fall and has emerged as a key leader in the recent renaissance of the UNT football program.

Switching sides

Hill grew up a fan of the Oakland Raiders – his family is from Los Angeles – and his father, Ronald Hill, was a key figure in beginning his path in sports.

“My dad had me playing sports when I was little,” Hill said. “I actually started playing baseball when I was 4 years old then started playing little league football when I was in fifth or sixth grade.”

The Houston native did not always play on defense, beginning his football days on the other side of the ball.

“When I was young, I played quarterback and wide receiver,” Hill said. “My sophomore year in high school – when I got onto varsity – I messed up the first two plays on offense as a receiver and after that got fired. They moved me to cornerback and I’ve been playing it ever since.”

Read More:

http://www.ntdaily.com/?p=58820

This post has been promoted to an article

Royce seems like a hard worker and has totally bought in to Coach Mac's program. That being said Royce made a terrible fundamental error in cover 3 at ULL that was part of the fourth quarter meltdown on defense. Coach Mac said later that the inability to cover in that situation was disappointing especially coming from a senior and captain. As is always the case with Coach Mac he didn't throw Royce under the bus, but instead said they needed to do a better job of coaching the technique so this never happens again. It is clear that players were taught some bad fundamentals during the Dodge regime.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1