McCarney Confident in QB Pecking Order

Harry

“Derek has to play better,” UNT head coach Dan McCarney said. “There is no doubt about it, but so does everyone else on offense. We evaluate those guys every day in practice. [Offensive coordinator] Mike Canales does a real good job with developing our quarterbacks, bringing them along and making sure they understand what we want. We have to generate more points and plays whoever is in the lineup.”

UNT ranks eighth in the nine-team Sun Belt in both scoring (18.3 points a game) and total offense (292.4 yards a game). The Mean Green’s offense has been shut out twice and come up with 17 points or fewer four times.

Read More: http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/stories/DRC_UNT_1018.2105a97fd.html

This post has been promoted to an article

Osborn has played in three games and has 127 passing yards and two of UNT’s six touchdown passes on the season.

“Brent is our No. 3,” McCarney said. “He has been No. 3 all along. He is still practicing and working hard.”

Hmmm. Strange that I can find Osborn listed as No. 2 on the depth chart pretty much all along. Certainly up to the recent Tulsa game which I attended. Go figure. dry.gif

• Upvote 1

No reason to really even discuss QB, O-line, WR, or any other position(s) on the Mean Green board. We're not the coaches and they're going to do what they do no matter how the fans react to UNT's position players on the field.

it's clear coach Mac will attempt to rebuild this team and he and his staff have job security. I'm sure a lot of things will change over the next few years here at UNT. Hopefully the new football stadium won't be the only thing to point to changed in the next few years. More W's would be a plus.

Just seems like the attitude of our team was different when Coach Canales and the old staff were all fighting like drowning rats to save their jobs. The enthusiasm and since of urgency on our FB team seemed to be much greater then, than now.

Can you believe we stayed even and almost beat K-State who's 6-0 or something this year. If we played them this year they'd beat us like a drum.

Go Mean Green !!!

Did Thompson get banged up in the game Saturday...Watch the first quarter where he was running w/ the ball on the option read...he was really moving the ball and was a threat....after the first quarter he handed it off to the RB each time...even when he should've kept it w/ the DE biting on the RB. Again, this offense does not work if you either can't throw the ball or have a QB that can run...we have neither.

The upside for Osborn is that he's only a sophomore. He can still transfer and have two years to play somehwere else.

I've written off the pipedream of a 5-7 season...and even 4-8. If Thompson is injured to the extent some here say he is and we have to go with McNulty, this thing ain't gonna fly any better than it is now...which is pretty poorly.

Good luck defense. For Lance Dunbar's sake, thankfully we have two bye weeks remaining to recover from opponents keying on him.

• Upvote 1

No reason to really even discuss QB, O-line, WR, or any other position(s) on the Mean Green board. We're not the coaches and they're going to do what they do no matter how the fans react to UNT's position players on the field.

it's clear coach Mac will attempt to rebuild this team and he and his staff have job security. I'm sure a lot of things will change over the next few years here at UNT. Hopefully the new football stadium won't be the only thing to point to changed in the next few years. More W's would be a plus.

Just seems like the attitude of our team was different when Coach Canales and the old staff were all fighting like drowning rats to save their jobs. The enthusiasm and since of urgency on our FB team seemed to be much greater then, than now.

Can you believe we stayed even and almost beat K-State who's 6-0 or something this year. If we played them this year they'd beat us like a drum.

Go Mean Green !!!

The disappointing thing is to have all the rah-rah in the offseason...the open letters to the students, etc....and, then, to turn it towards a full rebuild halfway through the season? Many of us expected a different mindset out of this group of coaches.

• Upvote 2

Still trying to figure out why our Skins on the Wall coach is doing so bad with only a handful of his players, while Hudspeth and Freeze seem to be doing just fine with only a handful of their years in their first year.

DMac needs to figure it our quickly and stop making excuses of his players about being to small slow and what not.

Find a way to utilize what you have.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

The disappointing thing is to have all the rah-rah in the offseason...the open letters to the students, etc....and, then, to turn it towards a full rebuild halfway through the season? Many of us expected a different mindset out of this group of coaches.

I had the impression it was a full blown rebuild from the time he got here. Weren't we applauding his frankness in accessing the team? Mindset-shmindset. Mac is doing more with less IMHO. The team plays hard. Two all SBC linemen gone, QB gone, leading WR gone, leading tackler gone, two starting DL gone. Remember how last year was supposed to be our year?

The ONLY reason I picked the Mean Green to win 4 games this season was because of my hope that the coaching staff was better. I still think we get to 4 wins and I now know this staff is better.

We've beat the team we should have and beaten another we shouldn't have because of good solid coaching. We will see in year 3 if this staff can get it done. You have to be able to coach AND recruit.

• Upvote 1

Osborn has played in three games and has 127 passing yards and two of UNT's six touchdown passes on the season.

"Brent is our No. 3," McCarney said. "He has been No. 3 all along. He is still practicing and working hard."

Hmmm. Strange that I can find Osborn listed as No. 2 on the depth chart pretty much all along. Certainly up to the recent Tulsa game which I attended. Go figure. dry.gif

You're in for a lot of headaches if you believe press releases, depth charts and rosters are 100% accurate.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My guess is he's battling things internally. This is a group of coaches that works kids on and off the field. Many of them weren't used to that. Dodge was busy making good fathers and brothers of them all. Many probably haven't been cussed since high school.

Still, I expected that McCarney would play guys no matter their eligibility level. On the radio show, he was talking about how well the redshirts were doing in practice. Well...who cares? Get them on the field now when we need them.

We are thin at receiver. Put Chaz Sampson in there. Is he going to be slower than Breece Johnson and Casey Schutza? Is he going to have a harder time catching the ball than Tyler Stradford did? Put him in the game.

Now that Freddie Warner is out, pull the shirt off of Swarn and throw him into some nickel situations. What is it going to hurt? We were already getting burned in the secondary at key times anyway.

On the show, Mac talked about Swarn not being big enough yet. Come on, man? Have you seen that skinny kid that plays safety for Tulsa? Dexter McCoil? You could snake a clogged drain with that kid and Tulsa's been playing him since he was a true freshman. The whip-like McCoil #26 below.

doc4ccc9feec99f8895500015.jpg

Tulsa's skinny Dexter McCoil never redshirted.

m9bbe1463e56354fd800c5676666fc63c.jpg

Tulsa's Dexter McCoil...so thin, you could fax him from game to game.

Look at Deion Sanders, for crying out loud - he still doesn't have any calf muscles! If a kid's an athlete, he's an athlete. Get Swarn out on the field and see what he can do. Hell, the kid's not a running back or receiver. He's a defensive back - he's the one who's supposed to bring the pain!

Empty the bench and try to win. Tired as hell of season after season after season of rebuilding. No one else puts on the field success on hold the way UNT does, bro. It's our hallmark.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My guess is he's battling things internally. This is a group of coaches that works kids on and off the field. Many of them weren't used to that. Dodge was busy making good fathers and brothers of them all. Many probably haven't been cussed since high school.

Still, I expected that McCarney would play guys no matter their eligibility level. On the radio show, he was talking about how well the redshirts were doing in practice. Well...who cares? Get them on the field now when we need them.

We are thin at receiver. Put Chaz Sampson in there. Is he going to be slower than Breece Johnson and Casey Schutza? Is he going to have a harder time catching the ball than Tyler Stradford did? Put him in the game.

Now that Freddie Warner is out, pull the shirt off of Swarn and throw him into some nickel situations. What is it going to hurt? We were already getting burned in the secondary at key times anyway.

On the show, Mac talked about Swarn not being big enough yet. Come on, man? Have you seen that skinny kid that plays safety for Tulsa? Dexter McCoil? You could snake a clogged drain with that kid and Tulsa's been playing him since he was a true freshman. The whip-like McCoil #26 below.

doc4ccc9feec99f8895500015.jpg

Tulsa's skinny Dexter McCoil never redshirted.

m9bbe1463e56354fd800c5676666fc63c.jpg

Tulsa's Dexter McCoil...so thin, you could fax him from game to game.

Look at Deion Sanders, for crying out loud - he still doesn't have any calf muscles! If a kid's an athlete, he's an athlete. Get Swarn out on the field and see what he can do. Hell, the kid's not a running back or receiver. He's a defensive back - he's the one who's supposed to bring the pain!

Empty the bench and try to win. Tired as hell of season after season after season of rebuilding. No one else puts on the field success on hold the way UNT does, bro. It's our hallmark.

Early nominee for post of the day.