Unbelievable- Benson Still Talking UNT/ULL

MeanGreen61

Staying in the belt has already killed us. The WAC is far from ideal, but having TX State and a better reputation, joining them along with ULL possibly, would be better than staying in the Belt.

The schools remaining in the WAC are worse than the Belt. Joining the WAC would be the death knell to the program. We've already rejected the WAC at least twice.

• Upvote 2

Okay...boil it down to football. Attendance since joining the Belt is so far above the Big West it can't be stated. If you really date back as far as the Big West days, you'll remember how bad some of those games could be. We're talking maybe 2K fans in the stands by November.

Maybe so, but that has nothing to do with our conference. Students aren't salivating over getting to come to a game against ULM/FAU and no one from the Belt travels anyone.

Maybe so, but that has nothing to do with our conference. Students aren't salivating over getting to come to a game against ULM/FAU and no one from the Belt travels anyone.

Idaho, Utah State, and New Mexico State didn't travel hordes of fans either when they were in the Sun Belt.

The only teams from the WAC that may travel a fair number of fans to a North Texas game are Texas State and La Tech. Since UTSA is a brand new program there is no telling whether they have a fan base that will travel to a near by opponent.

But they will be salivating to see Wyoming and New Mexico? You can't actually believe that!

If the goal is to move to a conference that has produced the most schools that move to better conferences, then we need to join the Southern Conference. Former members include Florida, Auburn, Alabama, most of the current SEC, over half of the current ACC and even East Carolina. They are the best "move up from" conference around.

Folks, it is NOT the schools that WERE in a conference that matters. It is the schools that are still there that matter. In the case of those remaining WACy schools, it is NOT an improvement over the Belt. If it takes moving with ULL and some tother Belt schools to make the WAC worth joining, why move? That makes no sense.

Before jumping to a new conference, we need to know who is there. We can't count on getting lucky like TCU was and getting a invite to the Big XII when the Big East was depleted.

The WAC interest is no way a bad thing but it is not a fit and currently would be a big step down from the Belt. I hope NT is doing everything possible to move to the MWC and/or CUSA. If NT gets left out of that party, going to the WAC or staying in the Belt is almost immaterial, they will still be in a bottom level conference.

I'm not a fan of playing in the WAC. But I do have a semi-serious question related to all this.

Is the Sunbelt without a Texas rival really that much better than a sh*t conference with two local up-and-comers that will become instant rivalries which are easily accessible to UNT fans all over the state? I mean, at least then we'd be relevant in parts of the state.

We're about to be one of the only three current Div 1A programs in the state that aren't in BCS conferences. What the hell good does playing WKU, FIU, or FAU really do us? When was the last time we got a Florida, Kentucky, or Tennessee, recruit?

If we're left out of C-USA, we have to at least consider joining a conference with UTSA and Texas State, if for no other reason than to have influence in a Texas market that isn't DFW.

The schools remaining in the WAC are worse than the Belt. Joining the WAC would be the death knell to the program. We've already rejected the WAC at least twice.

Exactly. The teams Left in the WAC are there for a reason. The WAC WITHOUT DOUBT will be worse than the SB next year.

Exactly. The teams Left in the WAC are there for a reason. The WAC WITHOUT DOUBT will be worse than the SB next year.

Post by Arkstfan on the Belt board.

Worst Conference

It ain't the Sun Belt. Looking at the average of the six computer polls used by the BCS the Sun Belt is ranked fourth (number is the average of where the six polls place the school in FBS).

SUN BELT

ULL 32.5

FIU 61.83

ASU 64

UNT 90.67

ULM 94.67

Troy 95.17

WKU 111.17

MTSU 114.83

FAU 117.17

League average 86.87

WAC

Nevada 53.5*

SJSU 79.5

Fresno State 83.3*

Hawaii 86.3*

USU 97.5

La.Tech 99.5

NMSU 99.67

Idaho 115.17

League average 89.31

* = Leaving Conference after this season.

Boise leaving knocked them hard and right now slated to lose three of their top four will make the gap even worse.

Is the Sunbelt without a Texas rival really that much better than a sh*t conference with two local up-and-comers that will become instant rivalries which are easily accessible to UNT fans all over the state?

You answered your own question. YES...it's better than a sh*t conference.

hell, let's go to the LoneStar conference....they're in Texas.

You answered your own question. YES...it's better than a sh*t conference.

hell, let's go to the LoneStar conference....they're in Texas.

The rest of my point was that we are largely irrelevant in the state of Texas. And now that three other previously non-BCS schools are going the BCS route, one can assume it will only get worse.

What the Sun Belt conference has done to raise the national profile of UNT or better yet, how it has positively impacted our presence in the state of Texas (which is where we recruit)?

I hate the idea of the WAC, but I'm also sick of playing a bunch of schools no one in this state has heard of unless their college has scheduled them as a tune-up game for an opener.

I'm not advocating the WAC, I'm just wondering if the addition of Texas State and UTSA has to at least cause some thought on a change.

Sincerely,

A Guy Who Is Content To Let The Belt "Build Itself"

Edited by Eagle1855

Is the Sunbelt without a Texas rival really that much better than a sh*t conference with two local up-and-comers that will become instant rivalries which are easily accessible to UNT fans all over the state? I mean, at least then we'd be relevant in parts of the state.

Yes. The positive of playing two brand new FBS programs in Texas is not enough to compensate for the negatives of playing in the barely-hanging-on WAC.

Yes. The positive of playing two brand new FBS programs in Texas is not enough to compensate for the negatives of playing in the barely-hanging-on WAC.

I still want a merge of the western Belters and the Eastern Wac-kers. (giggle).

I've long put away any dreams of glory and just want cool storylines. The UTSA-Sam Houston State week was fun because of all the sports hate and short distance. Lots of people are excited about the UTSA-TxState game next year for similar reasons. There is already the budding UNT-UTSA stuff (they feel we don't respect them and talk mess)

Not to re-hash but FAU is a much harder sell than Texas State. People know people at Tx-State. How many know anyone who has even heard of the Florida schools?

Not to re-hash but FAU is a much harder sell than Texas State. People know people at Tx-State. How many know anyone who has even heard of the Florida schools?

I think you overestimate the appeal of our former Southland Conference foe. They will need some time and success at the FBS level before their fans or ours will be excited about playing each other.

I think you overestimate the appeal of our former Southland Conference foe. They will need some time and success at the FBS level before their fans or ours will be excited about playing each other.

I bet you that their fans would be thrilled to have us on their schedules, just like we are when we play any old SWC team.

I think the big key in all of this will be WHEN the AQ status basically becomes the new Division 1 and the rest of us get knocked back down to the new I-aa (officially). I will say it again, but I truly believe that our new palace of a stadium saved our program, but it probably won't get us into that next level of play. We don't have the success, money, attendance, media support, alumni support, or tradition to get traction with either CUSA or the MWC, apparently.

If we do get knocked back down, while TCU and SMU get AQ status, I am just going to cringe at the NT Daily and DRC reports that are going to follow--all the bitter Denia-ites and old nestors bitching about putting so many resources into a new stadium for (gulp) FCS football. I would not want to be the leader having to deal with that mess.

I'll follow UNT football even if they are FCS because they are mine, but would most of the folks here who are coming to games now also be that way or would that be too much to take for continued support? I know that we would see crowds of around 10k for matchups with Texas State, ULM, or Arky State on a good weekend if this happens.

I bet you that their fans would be thrilled to have us on their schedules, just like we are when we play any old SWC team.

Something tells me that DFW people will not give a damn. That is fine. We'll play big-city snooty role. UTSA/TxState already think of UNT as thinking we are too good for them based on this board and some others. I kind of feel like that about SHSU but they got all riled up about the UTSA visit. It was fun even as I looked down my nose at them.

The trip to SA for UNT and vice versa will be awesome stuff for me personally.

Now I'm off to tend to this neglected blog.