Give Up?

Starting to feel that coach Mac is a little overrated. It took him 5 years to get a winning season for Iowa State. This is not Iowa, it's Texas, so we better have a winning season next year. So I hope all the really questionable decisions him and his staff are making are in preparation for an impressive season next year. If not, it won't be unreasonable to start questioning him as a coach. I remember so many people stupidly backing up Coach Dodge, and I hope this trend doesn't become a NT football tradition. Look what ULL's coach is doing in his first year...we can't keep having "hope" and being OK about losing all the time in the name of "rebuilding." I give him a year, say what you want, but it's about time we have some tough expectations. We're paying him and his staff record salaries and bonuses that comes from student fees mainly and we have the right to see some consistent wins in the near future. So far I haven't been all that impressed with his coaching decisions, but I'm giving him a little more time.

I kind of agree here. Although, the year he took over Iowa State, the Big 12 included four teams from the Big 8 that finished in the Top 10 the prior year, plus an A&M squad that was in its zenith. Texas was being miscoached by John Mackovic, but they were still getting better athletes than Iowa State could draw.

Louisiana is showing what I've always believe, the Sun Belt isn't a hard climb for coaches who can get their players to do it. And, the truth is, if these guys could gets their players to play four full quarters instead of three, we might have another game or two in the win column.

We are thin, but we're not in much different circumstances than any other Belt foe.

Don't worry. Some of us saw the fact that Thompson could barely walk last week at Apogee, yet played his ass off in that game. That, combined with the fact that he's not that great of a running threat when healthy...well, never mind. Carry on.

Played his ass off? He was 13-27 for 108 yards and 0 touchdowns. He did manage to fall into the endzone for a 1 yard rushing touchdown set up by the fumbled kick return (rushed for 15 yards total). He was bad in that game too. :blink:

I kind of agree here. Although, the year he took over Iowa State, the Big 12 included four teams from the Big 8 that finished in the Top 10 the prior year, plus an A&M squad that was in its zenith. Texas was being miscoached by John Mackovic, but they were still getting better athletes than Iowa State could draw.

Louisiana is showing what I've always believe, the Sun Belt isn't a hard climb for coaches who can get their players to do it. And, the truth is, if these guys could gets their players to play four full quarters instead of three, we might have another game or two in the win column.

We are thin, but we're not in much different circumstances than any other Belt foe.

Well, excuses are excuses. Remember the University of Miami and how coach Schnellenberger absolutely turned around that program against all odds in one year to a national champion??? I agree Iowa State is different and they were going against tough odds, but 5 years is an eternity in football terms. I am not discrediting what he did though and that he is a good coach in relative terms. However, NT fans idolize him at times and I haven't seen any proof yet of him being THE guy to change the losing tradition we have instilled in our players. Maybe he can't and is waiting for the guys he recruited, which in my mind, is the absolute wrong approach and I hope that's not the case. He needs to prove that he can change the current player's losing mentality and show he can lead them on to finish off games. It seems like we are afraid to finish off games and that doesn't really give any sense of comfort with this team and coaching staff. If ULL can do it, why can't we? I believe coach Mac once said "Why not North Texas?"....well...why not Coach Mac? I'm giving him time, but I can't say I'm too pleased the way things are going right now.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

If he's that injured, just sit him then. Don't run him out there to get pummeled the way Todd Dodge did to Riley.

I'm ready to see what Osborn can do if we are giving up on the season. Given that he'll have no more or less weaponry available than Thompson has surrounding him, what's the harm?

We've seen what happens when McNulty gets the majority of the snaps - Tulsa. He also played for two short series in the final nine minutes yesterday. Result - no points.

If Thompson is hurt to the degree that he can't get the offense going, it's a disservice to the team to keep him in there. Give the ball to Osborn and see if he can't well.

• Upvote 2

Guys, in all likelihood, we still lack a FBS QB on our roster. Look at the teams we're recruiting against for these guys, look at their status out of high school, look at their numbers. It takes more than "being 6'4"" to be a good college QB.

DT was pulled bc he wasn't giving us a chance to win, and it's easier to pull the QB than it is the playcaller.

The only success EITHER Osborn or McNulty has to show for themselves is in garbage time vs. backups. Note the stark difference in McNulty's play in that situation vs. what he faced as a starter in Tulsa. It's MUCH EASIER. That's why I wouldn't hang my hat on that, or on what Osborn has done in similar situations. It's kinda like a new coach coming in mid-season and giving the team a spark (Chico/Garrett). It's a lot different than taking that team from the start with the responsibility of actually winning. I really don't care what QB we see in the coming weeks, bc our offense is no more creative and somehow less effective than DD's and we're severely lacking in talent outside of Dunbar. It's the same ol' story here at North Texas.

...and drove us 60 yards in 44 seconds. 2 passes of 26 & 24 yards to TE Drew Miller (don't know why we don't use the TE more often). Most offense we had seen since the 1st quarter.

Yes, and if LaLa's second string defense had gone to the locker room with the rest of the team he would have scored on that last play.