Does Canales know how to use a TE?

MG Alum

Of Stanford's top 6 receivers, 3 are TEs. Our TE, Powers, is big, fast and is wide open most of the time. At 6'5", 258, he is the biggest target on the field. He was open in the end zone last week and the pass went to a receiver that was double covered. Tonight when DT threw the ball to the ULL linebacker, Powers was wide open 15-20 yards down field. If DT can't see someone that size, then put #11 in, not #15 since we all know #11 is a much better passer than #15. How important is a TE? Ask Bill Belichick...he has figured it out. I wonder if our coaches will figure it out like many other offenses have. Its NOT rocket science. Its all about taking advantage of mismatches. We are missing too many opportunities.

Of Stanford's top 6 receivers, 3 are TEs. Our TE, Powers, is big, fast and is wide open most of the time. At 6'5", 258, he is the biggest target on the field. He was open in the end zone last week and the pass went to a receiver that was double covered. Tonight when DT threw the ball to the ULL linebacker, Powers was wide open 15-20 yards down field. If DT can't see someone that size, then put #11 in, not #15 since we all know #11 is a much better passer than #15. How important is a TE? Ask Bill Belichick...he has figured it out. I wonder if our coaches will figure it out like many other offenses have. Its NOT rocket science. Its all about taking advantage of mismatches. We are missing too many opportunities.

I didnt know Chico was the QB, and the one behind center taking snaps. DT hasnt been able to read all his routes it seems like all year. I dont know if its because he doesnt wanna get injured again becuase his line isnt holding blocks or if he just has tunnel vision. Power also doesnt have the greatest hands on the team, hes dropped/missed some passes this year. I think he caught one pass last year in juco, he was mainly used as a blocking TE. Chico also said last year that he got a TE that they were going to use a lot, but we havnt seen it

Edited by Dr. Seuss

I haven't seen tight end, fullback...or the H-back/U-back we kept hearing about. If our offense is just going to be hand-the-ball-to-Lance-no-matter-how-they-stack-the-line, Canales should be fired. He is paid to create offense, not settle for seems to trying to force feed what is perceived to be his only weapon.

Granted, we are really thin at wideout. But, this game was ridiculous.

Canales should watch the Tulsa game films that the defense watched and take notes. We should be at their level. We should have comparable athletes since we are recruiting the same players in the same area.

TU's coaches - and, I've got to give Bill Blankenship more credit than I did at the outset of the season (TU isn't folding without Damaris Johnson) - have taken a wholly inexperience lot of receivers and a new H-back and found a way to move the ball and score points.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I haven't seen tight end, fullback...or the H-back/U-back we kept hearing about. If our offense is just going to be hand-the-ball-to-Lance-no-matter-how-they-stack-the-line, Canales should be fired. He is paid to create offense, not settle for seems to trying to force feed what is perceived to be his only weapon.

Granted, we are really thin at wideout. But, this game was ridiculous.

Canales should watch the Tulsa game films that the defense watched and take notes. We should be at their level. We should have comparable athletes since we are recruiting the same players in the same area.

TU's coaches - and, I've got to give Bill Blankenship more credit than I did at the outset of the season (TU isn't folding without Damaris Johnson) - have taken a wholly inexperience lot of receivers and a new H-back and found a way to move the ball and score points.

I agree but I think it Mac isnt letting Chico run his offense. It isnt the same as last year when he was running the team.

• Upvote 1

Supposedly Chico didn't call the plays when he took over as HC, Conroy Hines did.

The back to back Wildcat in the redzone was a give up. I hate to say it, but our offense is as predictable as Dickey's. We never take any chances and it is Dunbar up the middle twice and then a short pass.

You know, the funny thing about your comment is, while I was walking around the Midway, I was thinking, "Damn, we fired a coach because the offense couldn't move the ball for two years."

Dickey tanked in 2005 and 2006. Dodge never got anything consistent going. And, we are still not moving the ball with the new guy and year tow with Canales.

We've got Apogee to enjoy, though. And, the hope that the new head coach will intervene, somehow, on the offensive side of the ball.