What Has Happened to Chico's Offense

UNTLifer

Our play calling is horrible.

We really have no passing offense... and our lack of a running QB just kills the RB option play. Do we miss Rodge that much? Chico's offense seemed to work much better with Rodge (and an occasional Hamilton) running the offense. Maybe McNulty can eventually be that type of QB and also bring a real passing threat that we never had last year.

We're 2-5 and basically out of the conference race - so I think its time to shake up the offense, because it is just bad at this point.

Edited by ForneyGreen
  • Upvote 1

This is right on. Rodge was a good player he was just so small. I would add that we are much weaker at WR as well. Really the QB, line and WR play has regressed. The line is young so there's hope there. Other than that it's a big bag of unknown.

It's fun to make fun of his non-ideal size, arm, and father... But he made this offense work last year. All these nice little DT runs are game changers with Rodge back there. Just how much use are we getting out of DT's rocket arm and size?

• Upvote 1

It's fun to make fun of his non-ideal size, arm, and father... But he made this offense work last year. All these nice little DT runs are game changers with Rodge back there. Just how much use are we getting out of DT's rocket arm and size?

Sorry, wasn't making fun of his size. Was just saying he kept getting hurt because he was small. And that led to a weak arm which hampered him somewhat. But I agree, rocket arm and size aren't making a difference this year and I think we'd be much better with Rodge this year.

This is right on. Rodge was a good player he was just so small. I would add that we are much weaker at WR as well. Really the QB, line and WR play has regressed. The line is young so there's hope there. Other than that it's a big bag of unknown.

This. Our O-line is really young. Right now, they're still learning how to work with each other and put together a natural rhythm. This means they'll make mistakes and have a harder time succeeding. Honestly, I think our QB is fine, as is our RB stable. But honestly, the success of the TEs, WRs, QB and RBs is all based on what happens up front. When the front breaks, running plays get jumped like they did today and the QB never really gets time to make a good pass or see that he needs to make a run for it.

We're getting there. But like all of you I wish it was going faster. Now it's a race to land the 2nd place spot in the SBC and finish with a string of wins against teams that are beatable. FIU and ULL are the big targets in the SBC. I think our guys can tackle the others.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry, wasn't making fun of his size. Was just saying he kept getting hurt because he was small. And that led to a weak arm which hampered him somewhat. But I agree, rocket arm and size aren't making a difference this year and I think we'd be much better with Rodge this year.

Not directed at you. Speaking in general terms.

As it was pointed out last week on this board, Chico didn't call the plays once he became HC last year - you know, the moment the offense really took off. He's calling them again now. Food for thought, if nothing else.

who called the plays?

I put a lot of blame on the offensive line.

Dunbar never has any hole. Thompson gets happy feet in an ever-collapsing pocket.

Those things don't add up to a lot of offense.

D's are keying on Dunbar and playing the run. It's tough to beat them passing when NT can't even get average QB play. I said this back after the IU win, this offense is hampered by QB play. That hasn't changed and appears to stay that way until McNulty finds an arm or Ozzy gets in and shows us what he can do.

The OL has some youth, but they're not getting blown up every play. Complete a few passes and the running lanes will open up...

Edited by Got5onIt

D's are keying on Dunbar and playing the run. It's tough to beat them passing when NT can't even get average QB play. I said this back after the IU win, this offense is hampered by QB play. That hasn't changed and appears to stay that way until McNulty finds an arm or Ozzy gets in and shows us what he can do.

The OL has some youth, but they're not getting blown up every play. Complete a few passes and teh running lanes will open up...

If I were to experiment with this offense it would be with age on the line. Not quarterback. Sticking with these young guys is for the future not the present.

• Upvote 2

Yeah our offense sucks balls and needs to improve greatly. However, why do we think we have a good defense? We are improving on defense but we still SUCK. Look at how WIDE open those WR were from UL for two of their touchdowns. We don't have coverage and of course teams are going to make big plays against our defense if they have a decent offense. The team as a whole just sucks and I really hope the new recruits show improvement next year. I like coach Mac but we have to keep everyone accountable if the program doesn't get better next year. Look at UL and what they have done with a new coach this year...

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Um...you guys do realize that Riley hasn't played the last three games at McNeese because he is - surprise - injured, right? Even against FCS-level competition he couldn't hold up physically.

How many games do you really think he'd have played this year? Would he have even survived the opening game massacre at FUI?

Also, how did he "make the offense work?" Our offense wasn't that great when he was here. He didn't win many games of the ones he was healthy enough to play.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

A little creativity in the play calling would be nice. DT hands the ball to Dunbar regardless of the read half the time, our pass plays are short slants or outs and once again, the TE is nonexistent.

Our WR's can't get separation period, and Carey didn't make this much of a difference. Too many drops. Bynes dropped one that hit him in the hands. Our routes are terribly predictable allowing the DB's to jump routes. DT doesn't have time for the WR's to run double move routes and that just makes everything worse. I don't think DT sucks. If he could pick up 5 yards per carry, then he would be effective. We don't need a speed burner back there, just an effective runner.

I'm also growing tired of Jub and Hank never giving a second thought to anything we do. I want one of them, or both, to ask Mac or Chico about the play calling.

Our defense played well early, but ended up on the field too long, and I think they were trying to make the big play, but ended up giving them up.

Edited by UNTLifer

If you are waiting for Jub to tell the truth about watching suck, you will die before you grow old.

We have a big bag of nothing a receiver. I'm still shocked/but not shocked about that. I knew Dodge wasn't landing front line recruits. But, still...I mean, you figure there had to be one diamond in the rough.

Again, I say throw the 6-6 kid out there who is sitting on the bench, Chaz Sampson. I mean, could he be worse than throwing Schutza and Johnson out there? If so, why did we give him a scholie?

We're nigh on 2/3rds of the way through the season. If the guy in there now won't/can't make plays, put some fresh blood in...if for nothing else to get their feet wet for 2012 and beyond.

I don't think the defense sucks...we just lack depth on the line. If we can keep Bowen here another year or two, we're going to be special on that side of the ball. Then we just need the offense to not lose games....and the field goal unit to figure out how to block. The blocked FG really seemed to hurt the offense's confidence....then the miss in the 3rd qtr finished it off. Any HSO's on whether Thompson has a shorter leash going forward? He got pulled with a bunch of time still on the clock.

Edited by TIgreen01