I think this post sums up how I feel pretty well

Harry

Ok one thing that everyone here needs to realize is this. SMU Houston UCF benefitted greatly from CUSA. You can make an argument that the upward realization by those program is more than what was realized by UC UL and USF by moving to the Big East. In their time in CUSA - SMU has revived a dead program and garnered some national lime light - Houston has done much the same - UCF has gone from the dregs of the MAC to a very good athletic program. Now you bring in FAU Temple and North Texas and give them the same advantages that CUSA has afforded Houston SMU and UCF and you likely get very good programs in 3 to 5 years. One other thing you need to realize is that to MAC and Sunbelt level teams CUSA is equal to the Big East. Those programs are going to get more attention in their markets, they are going to get better recruits, and they are going to see an increase in season ticket holders and casual fans. One other thing to keep in mind is this a CUSA athlete or recruit is closer to a Big East recruit than a Big East recruit is to a SEC or BIG 10 player or recruit. A lot of you guys are attributing greatness to the Big East based off of their basketball conference. Look at how the Big East is perceived versus CUSA or MWC and you have little or no drop down. One other thing to keep in mind sure UCF SMU and Houston maybe a blow right now but take those schools out and other schools are going to rise. Not everyone in the CUSA is going to go 4-8 when those schools leave and neither is everyone in the MWC. There will be new programs who rise and take those spots. Mean while Houston SMU and UCF are going to be fighting the same battles they are now for recognition - they are still going to be the third wheel were ever and may even lose a lot of recruiting advantages because what kids family is going to be able to see them play in person more than once in the new Big East? Also kept out of this thinking is the olympic sports sure its going to be great to fly the diving team to UCONN and Rutgers on back to back weekends.

As far as the alliance here is what you need to ask yourself why they did it. In 2014 are you going to tune in to see Colorado State versus UNLV and ECU vs Southern Miss to see who is going to square off in the championship game? Are you going to start casually following Wyoming because you know they may be blocking your path to a big time bowl game?If you ran across a game of UNM and FSU on the tv are you going to watch it or are you going to watch NCSU and Wake Forrest play for the 6th spot in the ACC? Answer those questions with any amount of yes and you know why they did it. They didnt do it for you or me, they did it for the casual Southern Miss ECU CSU FSU etc fans. This alliance no matter what anyone says will get more people following other teams casually just because it may have an affect on their team in the end. And that my friends is what its all about.

Note: If your on this board reading this your a hardcore fan you would tune in on a 2 inch black and white with an antenna to watch your school. The average person isnt going to do that and ESPN CBS and FOX know they got you, they arent worried about you, they want your brother or dad or sister or neighbor who would tune in

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=522341

I would wager that there are very, very few people who are bigger Ranger fans than me. That being said, when it comes to Rangers vs. UNT, it is absolutely not even up for discussion. I had a buddy ask me last Saturday if I would rather have the Rangers win game 1 or UNT win against FAU. I didn't even have to think to answer that question. The University of North Texas collects/collected my tuition. While I have spent a great deal of money at The Ballpark in Arlington, I have spent much more at UNT for tuition/fees. I'm absolutely obsessed with sports, but my number one loyalty, without question, by a country mile, lies with UNT.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 7

I would wager that there are very, very few people who are bigger Ranger fans than me. That being said, when it comes to Rangers vs. UNT, it is absolutely not even up for discussion. I had a buddy ask me last Saturday if I would rather have the Rangers win game 1 or UNT win against FAU. I didn't even have to think to answer that question. The University of North Texas collects/collected my tuition. While I have spent a great deal of money at The Ballpark in Arlington, I have spent much more at UNT for tuition/fees. I'm absolutely obsessed with sports, but my number one loyalty, without question, by a country mile, lies with UNT.

Go Mean Green!

Amazingly said, sir. It's you're ALMA MATER!!! You're nourishing mother!!! How can someone not be loyal to it!!!

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 1

Amazingly said, sir. It's you're ALMA MATER!!! You're nourishing mother!!! How can someone not be loyal to it!!!

The World Series began 108 years ago. It has tradition. It gave me the heroes of my childhood both past and present. It was near mythical. As time went by, it gave me the players' strikes of '81 and '94, the steroids scandal of the late 90s, players thumbing their noses at the cities they played in, and $9.75 beers.

My Alma Mater began less than 108 years ago. It was there I experienced my first love. It sat with me late at night when I lost that first love. It taught me to think. It provided me with the means to make a living. It gave me a home to come back to until the end of time. Its athletic program features players who share these common bonds. Who appreciate me for weathering through their struggles and sharing in their triumphs.

In 1989, I had a front row, game 5 ticket to the World Series. That's as close as I ever got to actually seeing one. In 1989, I still had childhood visions of hero worship in my head. You give me that same ticket today, on Saturday, October 22nd, and it's not such an easy choice. The series claims to be a once in a lifetime experience. The other is comfort. It's home. It supports you in return for your supporting it.

I can't and won't judge what decision other people make, but for me, I look at what reciprocity exists, and I reward loyalty with loyalty.

• Upvote 4

The World Series began 108 years ago. It has tradition. It gave me the heroes of my childhood both past and present. It was near mythical. As time went by, it gave me the players' strikes of '81 and '94, the steroids scandal of the late 90s, players thumbing their noses at the cities they played in, and $9.75 beers.

My Alma Mater began less than 108 years ago. It was there I experienced my first love. It sat with me late at night when I lost that first love. It taught me to think. It provided me with the means to make a living. It gave me a home to come back to until the end of time. Its athletic program features players who share these common bonds. Who appreciate me for weathering through their struggles and sharing in their triumphs.

In 1989, I had a front row, game 5 ticket to the World Series. That's as close as I ever got to actually seeing one. In 1989, I still had childhood visions of hero worship in my head. You give me that same ticket today, on Saturday, October 22nd, and it's not such an easy choice. The series claims to be a once in a lifetime experience. The other is comfort. It's home. It supports you in return for your supporting it.

I can't and won't judge what decision other people make, but for me, I look at what reciprocity exists, and I reward loyalty with loyalty.

Your Alma Mater has more tradition than the World Series. UNT began 121 years ago. Sports were played at UNT since it's inception, a formal football program and other sports didn't develop years later, but that doesn't mean there wasn't tradition already in place.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

You be loyal to whatever you want. BUT your Alma Mater has more tradition than you're beloved World Series. UNT began 121 years ago. Sports were played at UNT since it's inception, a formal football program and other sports didn't develop years later, but that doesn't mean there wasn't tradition already in place.

Its all about choice. Whatever choice people make is not any more right than the choice they didn't go with.

Edit: And you can also debate that the World Series does have more tradition as it started before our Alma Mater.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Upvote 1

Its all about choice. Whatever choice people make is not any more right than the choice they didn't go with.

I'm not saying otherwise. However, I found the argument made earlier about paying tuition fees and having devoted a long time to your alma mater as a good basis of choosing his alma mater over professional sports. However, I understand ppl wanting to watch a world series, which doesn't happen often at all for the Rangers, and if you're a baseball fan, go for it. However, don't end up complaining about attendance or not enough support at games. I have a solution though, buy a portable satellite tv and watch the series from Apogee.

Edit: And you can also debate that the World Series does have more tradition as it started before our Alma Mater.

About the edit. Someone earlier said it started 108 years ago, and UNT started before then. But, if that's wrong, I wouldn't know because I know very little about baseball.

I'm not saying otherwise. However, I found the argument made earlier about paying tuition fees and having devoted a long time to your alma mater as a good basis of choosing his alma mater over professional sports. However, I understand ppl wanting to watch a world series, which doesn't happen often at all for the Rangers, and if you're a baseball fan, go for it. However, don't end up complaining about attendance or not enough support at games. I have a solution though, buy a portable satellite tv and watch the series from Apogee.

Just because you can't or don't want to go to some UNT games doesn't mean that people can't bitch about overall attendance. That is a horrible point to make. We just need more fans that care or more casual fans. We need quantity not quality. And there are times people just want to stay home. What is so wrong with that? Many of us have busy lives busting our ass and the weekends are the few precious moments we have that we can R&R or do whatever we want. There are times that people just don't want to go and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. But of course they're not worthy of being called true fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Love the Rangers but college football > baseball

North Texas Mean Green Football >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> baseball

I bought 6 plane tickets from Vegas to enjoy the best 6 days of the year. They could play at 9:00 AM or 11 PM and I would be on the hill.

Let's take that next step - road game win - big conference road game win tomorrow!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Your Alma Mater has more tradition than the World Series. UNT began 121 years ago. Sports were played at UNT since it's inception, a formal football program and other sports didn't develop years later, but that doesn't mean there wasn't tradition already in place.

While I was alluding to UNT in the post, my alma mater is not UNT...yet.

Edited by oldguystudent