If UNT Only School Left Standing In #4 TV Market Does...

PlummMeanGreen

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. (quote often used by the late, great Dandy Don Meredith of Monday Night Football fame)

IF....we were just coming off that 4 years in a row run of New Orleans Bowl games of the 2,000's even in an upstart conference, of which the criteria being used by fans of most of these conference and school smack boards at other outposts as of now might not hurt us at all but (instead) would make us appealing.

or

IF...we were coming off former UNT HFC and College Football Hall of Famer Hayden Fry's 6 year run of success in Denton with some national notoriety and a Top 20 ranking.....

THEN.....I Feel We'd Be Getting More Mention In All This Re-alignment Talk (although I do notice our name slowly appearing more in some of these conference projections.

With (maybe) SMU to the BE and TCU (for certain to the Big 12) and therefore both gone (respectively) from CUSA and MWC but moreso a new opportunity for us strategically located.... in the North Texas Metroplex with it's #4 ranked TV market, I think one of those 2 league's Commish's need to make a quick phone call and visit to Denton, Texas, America.

Strange as it may sound now (and we are for sure in strange times as far as the NCAA is concerned)......

.......but which of those 2 conference Commish' might catch hell from their respective league schools for losing out on America's #4 ranked TV market (which is hardly something to ignore in today's NCAA) because they............procrastinated?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

With (maybe) SMU to the BE and TCU (for certain to the Big 12) and therefore both gone (respectively) from CUSA and MWC but moreso a new opportunity for us strategically located.... in the North Texas Metroplex with it's #4 ranked TV market, I think one of those 2 league's Commish's need to make a quick phone call and visit to Denton, Texas, America.

Living in the metroplex for a long time I take a slightly different view of UNT and the TV markets. I'd argue that UNT isn't viewed as bringing the Dallas market, nor is SMU and some would argue TCU as well. Consider... do you really think these schools bring in significant viewership when they are playing in their markets Houston - U of H; New York - Rutgers; San Diego - San Diego St /UCSD; Denver - UofD (Basketball);Miami - FIU...get my point. We know who people are watching on Saturday afternoons and it's not UNT or SMU. Winning will get us into another conference not TV market share.

Does UNT really want to go CUSA without UH or SMU?

Does UTEP want to stay in CUSA without UH or SMU?

Does UNT make more sense being the geographic and timezone outlier in the MWC?

Hold on to your hats boys... This is about to get interesting.

MWC > cUSA >>>>>>> SBC

If there are still any future AQ's at all coming from whats left of CUSA (minus UH & SMU) and the MWC (minus Boise and AFU) I still think the nod goes to the MWC as being that league.

All left of CUSA is just a knotch ahead from where we are now except trips to Houston (and Rice) ever other year. UTEP is a too far out for us to think of them as a true rival albeit we did have some good things beginning to happen with NMSU before they left the 'Belt. The WAC before they lost Boise would have been a good choice with us and 2 other 'Belt schools, but the WAC now is a joke.

Sorry I digress, but from what other boards posters have said (even UH's) about SMU's glaring attendance problems along with their exxagerated attendance numbers, I still don't understand why that schools just keeps getting passes from just about everyone--Big East included. It's almost as if SMU thinks they can hide all that from everyone which quite frankly they have done a superb job. :disgust: I think SMU in a Big East arrangement will be a much more difficult league to win for sure, though. If we could build our into a Boise type BCS bowl buster program that would give us an advantage over Smoke & Mirrors U and I would not worry about our recruiting against the Stangs at that point. Yet we have to get out of this malaise we've been in for just about all my adult life for us to do anything significant.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

If there are still any future AQ's at all coming from whats left of CUSA (minus UH & SMU) and the MWC (minus Boise and AFU) I still think the nod goes to the MWC as being that league.

All left of CUSA is just a knotch ahead from where we are now except trips to Houston (and Rice) ever other year. UTEP is a too far out for us to think of them as a true rival albeit we did have some good things beginning to happen with NMSU before they left the 'Belt. The WAC before they lost Boise would have been a good choice with us and 2 other 'Belt schools, but the WAC now is a joke.

Sorry I digress, but from what other boards posters have said (even UH's) about SMU's glaring attendance problems along with their exxagerated attendance numbers, I still don't understand why that schools just keeps getting passes from just about everyone--Big East included. It's almost as if SMU thinks they can hide all that from everyone which quite frankly they have done a superb job. :disgust: I think SMU in a Big East arrangement will be a much more difficult league to win for sure, though. If we could build our into a Boise type BCS bowl buster program that would give us an advantage over Smoke & Mirrors U and I would not worry about our recruiting against the Stangs at that point. Yet we have to get out of this malaise we've been in for just about all my adult life for us to do anything significant.

GMG!

How many time are you going to mention this? That game vs. Houston was delayed by two hours because a monsoon hit their stadium. No kidding their attendance was going to be terrible just like ours was last saturday because of weather. Why bash SMU's attendance when UNT's is equally bad and why are you constantly quoting a poster on another board? That's like quoting the National Enquirer.

Edited by playoffpush
  • Upvote 1

How many time are you going to mention this? That game vs. Houston was delayed by two hours because a monsoon hit their stadium. No kidding their attendance was going to be terrible just like ours was last saturday because of weather. Why bash SMU's attendance when UNT's is equally bad and why are you constantly quoting a poster on another board? That's like quoting the National Enquirer.

Yet 500 to 1,000 for a CUSA game? I mean how many stadium attendants out of that group?

Been in this market since 1972 and I know what SMU does as do many others on this board do and even SMU knows what they do with attendance counting, but the Big East seems to not have a clue. I guess they are enamored with having a school in their league who had the very first Death Penalty?

I am a long time non- fan of SMU because they remind me of one of those western movie town facades; you know, all the store fronts look great until you go behind all of them to see they are all being held up by 2 x 4's or the like. Smoke & Mirrors U gets another unearned break with this Big East deal and that just my opinion. I know others on this board who are too disgusted to post their thoughts on this another "freeby" for SMU. I do not like that this very undeserving school gets a pass when they shouldn't get a pass. They coat-tailed into CUSA with a multi-year record that would make ours look like we were world-beaters. Sorry, not an SMU fan because of what they do and how they act to most all schools alums/fans (not just UNT) with their condescension. Still a free country to express an opinion, right?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely. SMU is on the OOC schedule starting in 2013, and I believe we have a return game with Houston at some point. SMU goes big east, we go CUSA/MWC, depending on how things shake out, we'll have Rice, UTEP and SMU on the schedule in 2013. Add in Tulsa and we have 4 regional games that people will actually give two ***** about. I read a post from Arkstfan that said using CUSA's model for expansion, UNT, FIU, FAU and MTSU are the ideal candidates. No matter what happens, I think we'll end up in either of the conferences. That is why it is important as ever to get to 5 or 6 wins this year. We have the basketball, the market, the potential, the student base, we'll have an athletic budget somewhere in the middle of the new CUSA and we're in DFW(The cusa office is in irving! you can't tell me they haven't came to take a look at UNTs stadium) and if we can get at minimum 5 wins, they'll look at it as they were down for a while, but have made big improvements in their program. I am anxiously awaiting tomorrow.

Biggest game UNT has been in in seven years.

Yet 500 to 1,000 for a CUSA game? I mean how many stadium attendants out of that group?

Been in this market since 1972 and I know what SMU does as do many others on this board do and even SMU knows what they do with attendance counting, but the Big East seems to not have a clue. I guess they are enamored with having a school in their league who had the very first Death Penalty?

I am a long time non- fan of SMU because they remind me of one of those western movie town facades; you know, all the store fronts look great until you go behind all of them to see they are all being held up by 2 x 4's or the like. Smoke & Mirrors U gets another unearned break with this Big East deal and that just my opinion. I know others on this board who are too disgusted to post their thoughts on this another "freeby" for SMU. I do not like that this very undeserving school gets a pass when they shouldn't get a pass. They coat-tailed into CUSA with a multi-year record that would make ours look like we were world-beaters. Sorry, not an SMU fan because of what they do and how they act to most all schools alums/fans (not just UNT) with their condescension. Still a free country to express an opinion, right?

GMG!

The Big East is well aware of SMU's attendance. You're making it sound like they have no clue. SMU has something we don't have...they have some sort of history on the national level, currently becoming a really good football program and have ungodly amounts of wealth and resources. Nobody got a free pass here....SMU decided to nut up and start caring about athletics again and they ponied up 2 million bucks a year to get a coach in that would win football games and this is their reward. Again lets not worry about SMU because whatever they do is in the best of their own interest and every other school does and would do that as well. They earned it by hook or by crook and that is something you should respect.

• Upvote 1