The no-name bunch

Brett Vito

Was that? Did I just read a positive article from Vito with no reference to former coaches or doomspeak of never ending anguish for the Mean Green? Did he in fact just give the wide receivers an endearing blue-collar nickname? What is this? Some kind of bizarro world?

You're smarter than this...you know the only reason Vito did an article on Breece Johnson was so that he could take a shot at all the Dodge recruits who DIDN'T stick around.

What a jerk.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why shouldn't there be? Dodge was an unmitigated disaster. Why defend him or his tenure????

No reason to defend him at all. In fact, I was noticing that the one-year anniversary of his departure is nigh upon us, and it made me smile. That said, there's no reason to constantly dwell on him and find a reason to bring him up in every single article.

Flip side of this coin is that if you read the man's wiki page, you'd think that 2007-2010 were the greatest four years in the history of North Texas football, lacking wins only because of a spiteful universe and Giovanni Vizza leaving because Riley Dodge was clearly the more talented player. I can only imagine that Todd actually pays somebody to maintain that thing.

OK. There. I let my own bashing slip out. Bottom line is that this team, with Coach Mac, is playing football. Real, competitive, occasionally winning football. And that excites me. I find myself looking forward with optimism. I'm doing math to predict the probability that the team could actually be bowl eligible this year. I feel less and less need to look to the past and dredge up old disdain.

If I were the beat writer for this team, I'd be looking at the progress this team is making. Even with a bunch of no-name receivers, regardless of who recruited them.

• Upvote 1