Remember When SMU Drew 5,000 Fans vs Rice U?

PlummMeanGreen

Perfect weather for a 'Stangs home football game the day that happened several years ago, too, but SMU still gets passes on every lied about attendance figures they have had pre and post Death Penalty era and what happened at their school over 60 years ago amazingly still impresses some of these conference suitors of theirs. Why don't they just call TCU and let officials from Frogdom tell them all they need to know about attendance at Mustang home football games. And that is all it would take for some of these leagues to think twice in putting 'Stang'ville in one of their cookie cutter conferences. (I post this thread because I'm a tad pissed at what I'm reading at another outpost concerning the 13K).

We have all been humored thru the years (decades) with exaggerated attendance numbers coming from the School @ Mockingbird Universe.. Hell, the SMooooo attendance counter had been at Apogee Saturday I assure you that we would have had 22,000 in attendance. .

I know that Saturday was a "Green Out" promo at Apogee but the only green I was worried about were the ominous clouds on radar heading our direction turning green. I had to make a last minute cancellation with SUMG for that game and I was even dressed ready to go for some Mean Green football and couldn't wait for another Apogee Experience yet.....

...in our part of the North Texas Metroplex we got 6 inches of rain folks and as I posted in a thread yesterday I had a broken tree limb induced hole in the SW corner of my roof where the guest bathroom is. I spent Saturday evening and part of Sunday AM emptying a large garbage cannister of part of that 6 inch rain into a bath tub. Now getting estimates and hoping for sunshine for a few days.

Fact is, we still have had 8 losing seasons in a row, yet are still averaging over 20K for 3 games and when our winning cycle soon returns we are going to kick @ss & take names in the attendance department at Apogee Stadium and I base that on what we've done after 3 games (new stadium or not) and not a winning season in almost a decade.

Just Had To Share This: This is our friends from Ruston's response to 13K.... as usual---so very interesting. They seem to think every little thing that happens that they perceive is a "program ending" negative toward us will someday help them get in their All Time Dream Conference. Little do they know.... and with that philosphy SMU should have become a basketball school long time ago based on real butts in seats under 10,000 to many times to count.

UNT only draws 13K at home!!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Kind of like this board's facsination with SMU? ;)

If SMU treats people nice they wouldn't get this from not just alums/fans of North Texas but other schools who have the same complaints on SMU's condescending attitudes.

Not sure fascination is quite the word, but for many it should concern their enrollment, number of SMU students who actually show for games (with good weather), overall attendance and those in the "truly interested in SMU" constituency. Their upside can and will never match ours (and they know it) and I'm beginning to wonder if there are any mathmaticians in some of these leagues who actually know the differences between large versus small consituencies, large versus small enrollment schools, large versus small DFW area alumnus numbers and how such differences can affect TV ratings for a conference wanting TV ratings with all this aimed at those leagues who allegedly project SMU as a possible member. I just don't get it.

Hellsbells, they also can't be that excited about a school that has only had 3 winnning seasons and 1 bowl game the last umpteen years, either.................. So concerning SMU I ask what I really wish some of these other league officials who are said to be interested in SMU would ask and as Clara Peller asked years ago in that hamburger commercial?

"Where's The Beef?" :growl:

Clara Peller from the Wendy's commercials of thr 1980s. :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

SMU only has an enrollment of 12k, almost half of which is postgraduates. UNT has an undergraduate enrollment of 28k. By default, UNT has a larger alumni pool to draw from and same with the undergraduate students currently enrolled.

There are decades of culture that have to be erased for this program to get where most of us want to see it but comparing UNT to SMU or TCU is apples to oranges. If you really want to analyze UNT, look at similar size public universities in/bordering large metros (Houston, UTSA, Texas State, Cincinnati, San Diego State, Arizona State, UNLV, FIU, UAB, Memphis, South Florida, Central Florida, San Jose State, etc. SMU and TCU are totally different animals and there are only a handful of others you can truly compare them to (Rice, Stanford, Northwestern, Miami (FL), Boston College, etc.).