intra state rivals

wardly

I don't post often, and I can't imagine that this particular comment is going to be popular, given what I'm reading.

I'm amazed reading how some are so optimistic/hopeful that North Texas is going to be picked up by C-USA or some big conference. I have a hard time figuring out why a big conference would want North Texas to begin with. I also have a hard time figuring out why some on this forum look down on schools like UTSA or Texas State. What's so wrong with creating a regional conference with up-and-coming programs like those?

I attended, and graduated from, North Texas at a time when it was in I-AA... and there were some good, well-attended rivalry (yes, rivalry) games when NT was in the Southland Conference. I remember in Matt Simon's first-year, a Southland Conference championship and playoff year, bringing in Montana (I think it was)... which was a highly-ranked team in I-AA that year, a game North Texas lost at the very end. I seem to remember a big and boisterous crowd at that game, too. That was a fun game that meant something in terms of national rankings.

The new stadium's great, I'm sure... we won't be traveling to Denton until the December 3 game against MTSU... I'm sure it's first class. But the program needs to take baby-steps and set realistic goals. Jumping from the Sun Belt to a big conference after nearly a decade of poor seasons ain't gonna' happen.

Why not set up a Texas-style version of the Mid-America Conference, which has away games that can be made by a relatively short car drive? Who wouldn't mind going to San Antonio every other year?

normack9, you will absolutely go ape-$h&t the first time you walk into Apogee and hear real major college crowd noise because of its accoustics. It is even blowing those from Denton who never attended MG football away.

I wouldn't be surprised, either, if UT-Arlington brings football back in the not-too-distant future. That could be a natural rival.

I love North Texas football... but guys, we're not going to be competing for a national championship anytime soon. I hope the powers that be would create a regional conference that makes sense. This spread out Sun Belt thing is a drag... and so would us joining any one of the others some are wishing for.

Just one man's thoughts.

Such a league you suggest has all the characteristics of one that will never have a Top 25 ranked football team in it--probably not even Top 50 and we're in a league like that right now.

Agree with you that Simons's first year at North Texas was special as we were getting great crowds out to retain NCAA D1-A status (which we did). "See ya' later McNeese State!" (G. Dunham). Matt was a cool dude until he and Helwig became at odds and then he went into some other world after that.

Apogee Stadium gives us more opportunity to do things that many will not think possible if Coach McCarney does what I think he will. Coach Fry and those after him never had a true major college football stadium to have as a vehicle to recruit to, to create continued growth and success which never happened on a grand scale at Fouts Field and never would while it was our home football venue.

normack9, you will go absolutely ape-$h&t first time you enter Apogee Stadium and hear the sounds of a true major college football environment because of its accoustics. Here is one example of that with this link below as we scored the first TD at our new football palace.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6956909

We all hope to get to meet you in December ! !

No offense taken to the responses, and I see the criticisms of my points as valid. I suppose my larger point is that North Texas needs to be really creative as it moves forward in college football... since (with this C-USA/MWC announcement) we're not being invited to any big parties at the moment. UNT has a lot of work to do... and it's not going to be easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is. Looking forward to being in Apogee in December... in the meantime, glued to ESPN GamePlan & kntu.fm.