Missouri to SEC ? ; Tulane to Big 12 ?

NT80

"Missouri's seven voting curators agreed unanimously Tuesday night to give chancellor Brady Deaton authority to look elsewhere rather than immediately commit to the troubled Big 12 Conference."

"[A Big12] source said that the top choices remain BYU, Louisville, West Virginia and TCU, but a new school was discussed recently that hasn't been mentioned publicly: Tulane out of Conference USA. The source said the Big 12 has been contacted by a number of other schools about possible inclusion, as well."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7063633/missouri-tigers-hope-join-sec-had-wanted-big-ten-invite-most

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Whats in a name? Apparently everything with some of these re-alignment conferences who have not checked the box score attendance figures at some of these "name" schools the last 20 or so years.

All this just makes me want to puke pea green vomit with what is going on in today's NCAA. The American dream as far as the NCAA is concerned has all but a "closed membership" attitude aimed at many schools like North Texas because of what some other schools did 60 or 70 years ago, but really haven't done that much lately in wins or home attendance. These issues seem to not matter with conference leaders or the schools they are looking at, but it seems to always matter with schools like our own alma mater. The double standard reins freely in all facets of American life of late.

Granted, we have not done our part in winning but some of these other schools have gone through similar droughts, too, but once we put a 3-4 year win streak together that won't be so far behind some other schools who are being looked at by some of these conference commissioners now.

I really think if we could get 1 or 2 of these league's commissioners such as the MWC , CUSA and why not the Big East up to Denton just for a Mean Green Village walk-through capped off with a personal tour of Apogee Stadium then a tour of our fabulous & ageless Super Pit that all that alone would change some minds and we'd get some more "jeez, I didn't know yall had all this up here" comments. Just-A-Sayin...

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Why on God's green earth would Tulane be an attractive addition to the Big 12. seems like a big reach to me?

To be honest, their options aren't that great. Tulane is located in fertile recruiting grounds and would definately be attractive from an academic standpoint. I don't know if they have a shot, but it's an interesting angle...

"[OU] didn't rule out re-examining alternatives if Missouri moves. "It's not like we're going to suddenly say 'we're out of here, this totally destroys it.' I don't think it does that," he said. "But … we have to look at our options. Texas has to know we're looking at our options. However limited they might be, they're probably not as limited as people think. Oklahoma's a pretty good brand."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2011-10-05/big-12-missouri-expansion/50673292/1

"Missouri's seven voting curators agreed unanimously Tuesday night to give chancellor Brady Deaton authority to look elsewhere rather than immediately commit to the troubled Big 12 Conference."

"[A Big12] source said that the top choices remain BYU, Louisville, West Virginia and TCU, but a new school was discussed recently that hasn't been mentioned publicly: Tulane out of Conference USA. The source said the Big 12 has been contacted by a number of other schools about possible inclusion, as well."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7063633/missouri-tigers-hope-join-sec-had-wanted-big-ten-invite-most

We're ignoring the most important sentence here. Names, we want names.

Keith

My guess is that NT has a bigger shot than Tulane. Tulane is a small school with almost no following and the NO metro area is relatively small. They are a very good academic school and are in a destination city, but I don't think that is enough. SMU is in a better situation, at least they are winning.

Serious and honest question. But do you think we overrate and overvalue ourselves? Sadly I just don't think UNT is in the conscience of most peoples sports brains and as much as I wish that was not the case I just think that the Big 12 without any hesitation look at adding a Tulane before thinking about us.

• Upvote 1

Serious and honest question. But do you think we overrate and overvalue ourselves? Sadly I just don't think UNT is in the conscience of most peoples sports brains and as much as I wish that was not the case I just think that the Big 12 without any hesitation look at adding a Tulane before thinking about us.

My point, I don't think ether has a shot. NT has a lot going for it, but the poor attendance in a brand new stadium is not going to impress any conference. It might be overcome in a lower level conference but it is a killer for most.