Big 12 takes another step back from brink

Harry

Conference realignment is not over. We know this for a few reasons:

1. On Monday, the Big East's presidents and chancellors voted to approve the conference's expansion efforts. These efforts will include the possible additions of the following: Navy, Army, Air Force, Temple, Central Florida and -- believe it or not -- SMU. It's a little bit remarkable that the Big East, of all places, would want to add a barely revived football program with absolutely zero basketball history, but that's life in the realignment game. Basketball just does not matter.

Click Here to Read More

Air Force to the Big East? For all sports or just football? What a waste of time traveling that far for athletic events. Makes no sense at all.

Air Force and Navy would be football only. The rest (maybe UCF/SMU/Temple) would be all sports. At least according to that one Boston Globe report.

edit - I also think it's premature to say that all is well in the Big XII. I still think Mizzou is in the cusp of accepting an SEC invitation. Sure the Big XII would then reload with BYU and/or TCU, but I really think it's just putting on a band-aid on a gaping wound.

Edited by Comet7745

SMU being considered is a direct result of their football victory over TCU, a ranked opponent.

It was a great win but it's not the only reason they're being considered by the Big-East. SMU is a good fit for the Big East in everything except geography, and geography, unfortunately, matters little in today's NCAA. I'll always miss the old SWC.

God bless Texas!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

SMU being considered is a direct result of their football victory over TCU, a ranked opponent.

Too bad we couldn't do something like that from 2001-2004. Maybe things would be different now.

One single game decides conferences? Sorry but no that makes no sense. If that were the case, the ESPN would be renegotiating contacts every single week. There is a lot more than one victory or one season involved in moving between conferences.

• Upvote 1

One single game decides conferences? Sorry but no that makes no sense. If that were the case, the ESPN would be renegotiating contacts every single week. There is a lot more than one victory or one season involved in moving between conferences.

I think the point is, that SMU is a win away from sliding into the AP Top 25 and we're nowhere near getting out of the bottom 25.

A few years ago, we gambled on our coaching hire while they threw cash at a proven commodity. We lost and that loss will likely be one more reason why we aren't considered for any BCS conferences.

Like I've always said, no one holds UNT down like UNT. We've righted the coaching ship, in my opinion, but all this alignment is several years too soon for UNT.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1