Interesting comment from Neinas

NT Alum '04

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7032707/chuck-neinas-confident-missouri-tigers-stay-big-12

-----------

He added, "There has been no shortage of interest" from teams wanting to join the (Big 12) conference.

"We would hope we would not be at eight," Neinas said.

Neinas had said last week that there was "resistance" from some existing members to adding teams from Texas.

"I'd say that's changed," he said.

--------

I think that could open up a conference spot that UNT could fill.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

http://espn.go.com/c...ers-stay-big-12

-----------

He added, "There has been no shortage of interest" from teams wanting to join the (Big 12) conference.

Neinas had said last week that there was "resistance" from some existing members to adding teams from Texas.

--------

Not talking about us. We need to show we can sell out a new, small college football stadium before we even get a first glance.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Not talking about us. We need to show we can sell out a new, small college football stadium before we even get a first glance.

Don't worry we would sell out if we were in the Big 12, and they know potential when they see it. We are moving toward a student body of 45,000 in a very large MSA. At the end of the day neither TCU nor SMU can offer that.

We are that sleeping giant!

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7032707/chuck-neinas-confident-missouri-tigers-stay-big-12

-----------

--------

After selecting our coach and researching a growth plan for our athletics, Neinas knows what we got here at North Texas. With all that has occurred in realignment, nothing would surprise me at this point.

Don't worry we would sell out if we were in the Big 12, and they know potential when they see it. We are moving toward a student body of 45,000 in a very large MSA. At the end of the day neither TCU nor SMU can offer that.

We are that sleeping giant!

I wish that were the case. But we haven't "paid our dues" in the other smaller conferences such as C-USA and MWC. I think Houston or TCU will take Big 12 spots.

This opens up a spot for us in the C-USA. That's where I think we'll be in two or three years.

They don't want to invite TCU or Houston so I think the Big 12 is hoping the Big East collapses so they can possibly grab Louisville and maybe UCONN.

:ph34r: Perhaps by inviting TCU and getting them to come to the BIG 12 (?) you speed up the demise of the Big East and then you have the other schools you are looking at readily available to invite/merge with :ph34r:

:ph34r: Perhaps by inviting TCU and getting them to come to the BIG 12 (?) you speed up the demise of the Big East and then you have the other schools you are looking at readily available to invite/merge with :ph34r:

That's what I'm thinking will happen. If anything happens to us- it will be because of the ripple effect to us. I don't think we'll be a primary player- but rather a secondary player.

Not to mention, I think the national recognition of TCU will help get them into the B12.

Another small private religious school brings what to the table? 15k alums scattered about DFW, West Texas and areas around Kansas City.

Sure Ft.Worth does a very nice job of supporting a school 99.9% of its population never attended but I really don't see the big upside for the Big 12.

IF conference realignment is about money then TCU is not a long term money play. If you're talking about teams in Texas long term money plays would only be Houston and UNT based on sheer numbers of students and alums and DMA's. And both schools are only going to get bigger.

Think about where UNT is now relative to where Tech was when they went from SWC to Big 12. Is there that great of difference?

There would be gnashing of teeth amongst Big 12 faithful if UNT got a nod and probably to a lesser extent Houston too BUT projecting future returns for the conference both the schools offer greater potential return than TCU ever could.

And as KingDL pointed out - we go Big 12 and you have instant Sell Outs to every home game. Not to mention our recruiting ship is righted and sailing full steam ahead overnight.

It's really hard to say what they're looking for. I'm skeptical when it comes to attendance/alumni count: is that truly relevant when they already have a handle on the DFW market?

It really might be a matter of prestige. TCU has the upper hand in that.

Everything is speculation at this point, and nothing really would surprise me.

It's really hard to say what they're looking for. I'm skeptical when it comes to attendance/alumni count: is that truly relevant when they already have a handle on the DFW market?

It really might be a matter of prestige. TCU has the upper hand in that.

As far as recent football wins? Sure they do. But is it sustainable at a school their size (without cheating) I don't think it is.

Now as far as finishing schools go they offer a fine Mrs. Degree and may trump just about everyone in the Big 12 on that.

BYU is the major player here. I don't think anyone wants the logistical nightmare of Boise, Louisville is a glorified non-AQ. Houston would probably be the only team other than TCU that would be added from Tx. SMU is at least 3 or 4 years away from AQ status, they don't have the support needed. Houston at least has a relative amount of recent success that makes them somewhat acceptable.

Here are the three things that I think keep us from any serious AQ discussions:

• We don't play baseball. We don't even have a time-table to add baseball.
  • We wouldn't immediately compete to win the league in any sports. And yes, that includes basketball.
  • Our stadium is very, very nice, but by Big12 standards, it is small- like 20k smaller than the next smallest Big 12 stadium.

Potential is good. Realized potential is way better. I think our Athletics Department is a decade away from being a serious contender in the AQ race. And I think that's okay. All we can do is win and improve our brand. Boise proved that conference alone cannot hold you back from being great. The sleeping giant has rested enough, it's time to rise and shine.

• Upvote 1

Another small private religious school brings what to the table? 15k alums scattered about DFW, West Texas and areas around Kansas City.

Sure Ft.Worth does a very nice job of supporting a school 99.9% of its population never attended but I really don't see the big upside for the Big 12.

IF conference realignment is about money then TCU is not a long term money play. If you're talking about teams in Texas long term money plays would only be Houston and UNT based on sheer numbers of students and alums and DMA's. And both schools are only going to get bigger.

Think about where UNT is now relative to where Tech was when they went from SWC to Big 12. Is there that great of difference?

There would be gnashing of teeth amongst Big 12 faithful if UNT got a nod and probably to a lesser extent Houston too BUT projecting future returns for the conference both the schools offer greater potential return than TCU ever could.

And as KingDL pointed out - we go Big 12 and you have instant Sell Outs to every home game. Not to mention our recruiting ship is righted and sailing full steam ahead overnight.

This is all well and good, but perception is reality sir.

As far as perception goes:

TCU is a football powerhouse school and may as well have 50K students enrolled, an entire metroplex area frothing at the mouth to watch them play, and money out the wazoo.

UNT is a football also-ran school and may as well have 4K students enrolled, a message board of die-hard fans and an apathetic remainder fan base, and $0.

Facts are not necessary when trying to reach the paying customers. This is where we are right now.

Now, if we win... perception changes!

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone wants the logistical nightmare of Boise, Louisville is a glorified non-AQ.

Not sure Boise is a logistical nightmare. If they were interteresed in them logistics wouldn't be an issue. Plus Boise instantly makes it a better football conference if they join. And Louisville is a glorified non aq? Try again. They have top notch facilities and have a very very high spending budget in athletics. They would be a great addition to the Big 12 should there be mutual interest.

As far as recent football wins? Sure they do. But is it sustainable at a school their size (without cheating) I don't think it is.

Now as far as finishing schools go they offer a fine Mrs. Degree and may trump just about everyone in the Big 12 on that.

If you call 10 years recent. I would call that pretty sustainable.

GO FROGS!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!