Micah Thompson - Why is he not playing?

SHOSS

This happens to be the guy I thought could help out the most when the recruiting class was finalized. I see that he doesn't have any record of playing on the meangreensports.com site...

Anybody know why?

Do you think he falls under the category of just needing to mature a little(get stronger) and refine his technique before he could contribute?

Do you think he falls under the category of just needing to mature a little(get stronger) and refine his technique before he could contribute?

I think this is exactly why he is not playing. Sometimes we see measurables as indicators of immediate playing time, and I am the first one to admit guilt on this, but especially with DTs, it seems there is a lot more than just size required to get on the field

Edited by BIG DAWG

I think this is exactly why he is not playing. Sometimes we see measurables as indicators of immediate playing time, and I am the first one to admit guilt on this, but especially with DTs, it seems there is a lot more than just size required to get on the field

Both of OU's starting DTs are under 300 pounds. One is an All-American. Size does not dictate ability.

Probably right but I wonder why. It's not as if we have a lot of depth at DT. Come next year he's at the end of the line again because he has no game experience.

Fixed it for you. He is going up against college linemen every day in practice. I would guess that his performance, or lack thereof, in practice is why we have not seen him in a game. Some kids need time to mature and get stronger. Size does not necessarily equal strength.

Brooks played before quitting so it is not a fear of playing freshmen at that postion. There is an obvious answer he is not playing well enough at this point to lose his redshirt. While no one other than Boutwell has shown a lot at DT, there are a lot of players in the rotation. Cantly, White, Abbe and I believe Lincoln have played more than a few plays at DT.